Sign in to follow this  
Shadow

Superhero Summary, Part I - DC Comics

Nice work. I grew up on tatty imported comics of Superman, Batman et al from a stall in a market, where you could swap them back 2 for 1 once you'd read them....The early TV reflected that style IMHO. Adam West Rules!

No Flash? ;)

I really wanted to cover every single comic book translation that I could find (includig Dick Tracy, Howard the Duck, Swamp Thing) but I found that there are just WAY too many to finish in a reasonable amount of time. Just splitting the article into 3 sections will be fairly long work in itself. :D

It might be worth noting that you missed a show in which all three of the characters referenced appear - Justice League. Admittedly, the show isn't based solely around one of them, but I thought it was worth pointing out. I also think there was a short-lived cartoon that paired Batman and Superman (well, there was at least a pilot film, that dealt with the Joker trying to off Superman for Lex Luthor, I don't know if it ever actually became a series).

Still, an interesting and informative read. ;)

There was an unsold Wonder Woman short produced by William Dozier in 1967. It was awful. This article, on the other hand, was awsome. I await the next part.

I also think there was a short-lived cartoon that paired Batman and Superman (well, there was at least a pilot film, that dealt with the Joker trying to off Superman for Lex Luthor, I don't know if it ever actually became a series).

World's Finest wasn't a pilot for a series, but a direct-to-video film.

THe series just became rruns of the previous Batman and Superman cartoons. It would either run for an hour, with an episode for both or alternate on different days.

I'm sure there was intended to be a crossover series as well, though.

Later there were 'The New Adventures of Batman and Superman', but those weren't

a new show, but simply an hour of programming where the Gotham Knights (another

thing missing from that list) cartoon was run back to back to the Superman show.

I'm sure there was intended to be a crossover series as well, though.

Later there were 'The New Adventures of Batman and Superman', but those weren't

a new show, but simply an hour of programming where the Gotham Knights (another

thing missing from that list) cartoon was run back to back to the Superman show.

Golly, that was a good show. I used to watch that every weekday afternoon.

Yeah. The Superman show rawked and while the Berkowitz-run Gotham Knights series

wasn't as good as the Dini-Timm predecessor, it was fun.

You used a whole bunch of words there that I do not understand but from the gist of your comment I think you are agreeing with me. Cool.

Oh, and there was also a live-action, black & white pilot shot for a potential Superboy series in 1961, from one of the people behind the George Reeve Superman series. Superboy would not grace the small screen until 1988, though. The pilot did not sell.

You used a whole bunch of words there that I do not understand but from the gist of your comment I think you are agreeing with me.  Cool.

Rawked = Rocked = Was Quite Good.

Berkowitz-run = The Gotham Knights show was run by Stan Berkowitz, currently

working with Bruce Timm on the Justice League. While his work is not as good as

Paul Dini's or Bruce Timm's work on the AniDCU shows, is fun. Usually a bit more

light hearted.

Dini-Timm predecessor = The original Batman: TAS show, which was run by the

pair of Paul Dini and Bruce Timm. After the Batman: TAS series ended they split

up and Paul Dini went on to do Batman Beyond while Bruce Timm did Superman

(there was still quite a bit of cross contanimation as Timm did a lot of the design

work for Batman Beyond and Dini wrote a bunch of scripts for Superman.)

AniDCU = The Animated DC Universe, started by the Batman: TAS show, but also

includes the Superman: TAS, Batman Beyond, Static Shock, The Zeta Project,

Justice League and (maybe) Teen Titans shows.

DC = DC Comics = Detective Comics Comics.

TAS = The Animated Series.

Does that help? :blink:

Edited by Mastermind

Good job. I grew up on the marvel side of the scale so reading the quick bios on these rival DC characters was cool (especially wonder woman -- I always wondered about that woman... :1eye: )

' date='July 25, 2004, 04:50 PM'] Good job. I grew up on the marvel side of the scale so reading the quick bios on these rival DC characters was cool (especially wonder woman -- I always wondered about that woman... ;) )

And that is exactly why I decided to write these articles. Nice to know something is accomplished. :D