Sign in to follow this  
*Cryogenic*

Computer Specs

Thats good news that AMD are commiting more time to S-754, i always thought it was odd to bring out a standard then immediately say theyare going S-939.

All my current systems are socket-a so the highest i can go for now is a Barton 3200 XP, i was hoping that all this interest in 64-bit cpu's would help force down the socket-a prices.

Wow this threads Old... lol

Anyways, New Specs....

Chip: AMD ATHLON XP 2500+ 512K 333FSB SOCKET A BARTON (Overclocked to 1.98 GHz

Motherboard: SOLTEK 75FRN2-L NFORCE2 SOCKETA DUAL DDR AGP8X 5PCI ATA133 SOUND LAN

RAM: KINGSTON HYPERX PC2700 512MB CAS2 2-2-5 T1 DDR 333MHZ 184PIN and KINGSTON HYPERX PC3200 512MB CL2 3-2-6 DDR 400MHZ 184PIN in a Dual Channel Configuration

Video Card: SAPPHIRE RADEON X850 XT 256MB AGP8x/4x 256MB DVI TV OUT VIDEO CARD

Case: NETLINK 18IN 300W ATX VS42B CASE /W FRONT USB PORT P4 READY BLUE BEZEL (Blue Edges)

Keyboard: Microsoft Natural Multimedia keyboard

Mouse: Microsoft Wheelmouse Optical

Hard Drive(s): 40 GB Seagate hard Drive, 40 GB Maxtor Hard Drive, 20 GB Western Digital Hard Drive

CDrom: 52x32x52x 16x LG DVD/CD Writer

Speakers: Regent 5.1 suround sound Home theater System

Moniter: NEC Multisync 97F 19'

Webcam: Logitech, thats all i know lol

Microphone: Sidewinder Gamevoice

Hmm, I haven't yet posted the specs for this new guy I built about a month ago...

AMD Athlon 64 3200

Asus A8N-E motherboard, with an NVidia NForce 4 chipset (comes with onboard ethernet, 10 USB ports and 6 channel sound, among other things)

1 GB RAM, 2x512 MB PC3200s, courtesy Transcend

Samsung 120GB SATA, 7200 RPM hard disk

WinFast PCI-X graphics card, with NVidia GeForce 6200 chipset

LG DVD+/-RW drive

Samsung Syncmaster 793s 17" monitor

Samsung CD RW drive and some random floppy drive salvaged from the old system

Creative SBS 2.1 speakers

Logitech optical mouse

Logitech keyboard (no frills)

It's currently got four OSs, being a Windows XP, a Gentoo, an Ubuntu and another Windows XP... I'll soon (when I get less lazy) be consolidating the two XPs, and freeing up some space to use for something else, but I just wanted to see how I could make XP behave if I installed it twice...

Minor upgrade since March 2005 (got more important things to buy at the moment, a house :D )

Viewsonic VP171S-2 17" LCD/TFT Monitor 8ms - Silver

AMD Athlon64 3000 (Winchester Core socket939) 1.8ghz

Gigabyte K8NF-9 Nforce4 (Socket 939) PCI Express motherboard

Connect3D ATI Radeon X800 XL 256mb GDDR3 TV-Out/DVI

GeIL 1GB (2x512MB) PC3200 Value Dual Channel Kit CAS2.5

Cruical 512mb (2x256MB) PC3200 Dual Channel Kit

Logitech MX1000 laser mouse

Saitek Eclipse Keyboard

Creative I-Trigue 2.1 Speakers

Seagate Barracuda 60GB and 160GB HDD

NEC 16x DVD_RW ND-3520A

PIONEER DVD-ROM120S

Kazon, your configs are always a pleasure to read and a real drool inducer! :D

How's that Radeon? I went with NVidia because their Linux drivers are better, as I mentioned somewhere, but I've always wondered about ATi... And what's with the two RAMs? I've never seen that kind of config before...

And before I go, the other system (lots of missing gaps in my info, because the system is 3 years old):

AMD Athlon XP 1700

Asus A7N-something motherboard, NForce 2 chipset, onboard sound and video

256 MB DDR, no idea about the speed...

Samsung CD writer

Realtek RTL8139 ethernet adaptor

Seagate 40 GB hard disk

Samsung 20 GB hard disk

Logitech keyboard and optical mouse (no frills - I like plain typing)

A weird quad speaker arrangement I cobbled together out of two Yamaha 320 Watts and two Mercury 100 Watts speakers, connected as front and surround

Samsung 56v monitor

And a particularly useless telephone modem - doesn't even work anymore, I think... :)

This guy has one OS on each HDD, the 40 GB having Windows XP and the 20 GB having Linux. This hard disk was on my original P3, and was salvaged into this machine earlier this year. The cool thing is that I transplanted it, changed about two words in some settings files and I was good to go! It actually WORKED just like that!

Thanks Shash, like i said, i think i've only bought the keyboard in the past 6 months.

Here's a pic for you Shash :D

ANTEC_P-180_PICS%20012.jpg

I've got 2 lots of ram cause the 512mb was from the last pc which i retired, seeing as it was DDR400 i thought i'd give it a try in the new system and thankfully it worked.

Yeah i really like the ATI X800XL, ok its been surpassed by the Nvidia 7800 GT/GTX and now the ATI 1600/1800 XL/XT, but for me its fine, I play most of my games in 1280x1024 (which is my LCDs native resolution) and everything i've played has been super smooth and nice. (although i haven't tried Quake4 or FEAR on it, both of which even test the 7800 GTX cards),

I think my next upgrade won't be for at least another 6 months as i am pretty skint at the moment, but in future i plan to swop the processor for a Dual Core X2 3800 (and my current motherboard does support this chip with a simple BIOS upgrade). Alternatively i have been reading very good reviews of the mobile pentium-m processor which is extremely good for gaming (short cpu pipeline) and very cool running (unlike the pentium4), so a pentium-m mini-atx motherboard would be nice, and to finish it off would be a new case, the SilverStone Sugo SG01-S would do very nicely.

Anyway i'm day dreaming again, i'll probably scrap that idea and go for a Xbox360 or Playstation 3

Edited by kazon

These are the current specs, I'm going to be upgrading sometime early next year though (January/Febuary).

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2

CPU Type: AMD Athlon XP, 1500 MHz (15 x 100) 1700+

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-7N400-L (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, LAN)

Motherboard Chipset: nVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400

System Memory: 1024 MB (DDR SDRAM)

Video Card: ALL-IN-WONDER 9200 SERIES (128 MB)

Monitor: CTX 17" LCD Monitor

Disk Drive: Maxtor 6Y200P0 (200 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)

Optical Drive: LITE-ON DVD+RW LDW-401S (DVD:4x/4x/12x, CD:40x/24x/40x DVD+RW)

Optical Drive: LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S (DVD+R9:2.4x, DVD+RW:16x/4x, DVD-RW:8x/4x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD-RW:48x/24x/48x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)

Audio: Creative SB PCI128 (Ensoniq ES1371) Sound Card

Currently planning to upgrade with:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939

Motherboard: Epox EP-9NDA3J Socket 939 Motherboard

Harddrive: HITACHI Deskstar T7K250 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s (+ the current 200gig Maxtor)

Video card: MSI GeForce 6600 / 256MB DDR / AGP / DVI / TV Out / Video Card (+ the Radeon 9200)

With the two existing DVD-R/RW drives, another gig of RAM for a total of 2 gigs and maybe a second monitor, 19" LCD with a new audio card. I'm not going to get it all at once, certainly not the second monitor but the rest I plan to get for certain, unless a better deal arises.

Edited by Teelie

My old faithful's still chugging away, although I've just replaced the PSU on it - I thought one of the fan bearings was failing on the original as there were some worrying grinding sounds eminating from the rear when it booted up :sick: However, after spending £50 on a new unit and a good hour swapping the old one out, it booted up.... but the noise promptly reappeared :mymy: Turns out the culprit was a cheapo extractor fan sat in the bottom expansion slot which I can replace for a fiver or so :D And to insult to injury the 1GB USB pen drive I bought from the same retailer to make life easier at home & work (no more lugging CD-Rs all over the place) refuses to work on any of the USB ports on my home box :mess: (although it works fine with the laptop at work and both PCs at my friends house, so I can't return it as faulty). Nearly a hundred quid spent on kit I either didn't need or can't use :sick: - I think I'm jinxed at the moment when it comes to computers .....

And to insult to injury the 1GB USB pen drive I bought from the same retailer to make life easier at home & work (no more lugging CD-Rs all over the place) refuses to work on any of the USB ports on my home box

What OS are you using?

If you're using Windows 98, you need to install drivers to make USB sticks work.

What OS are you using?

If you're using Windows 98, you need to install drivers to make USB sticks work.

I'm an XP user, so no drivers are necessary. Unfortunately NVidia's onboard USB controllers are notoriously flakey (especially on the early NForce and NForce2 motherboards - I have one of the latter) and I'm pretty sure that's the reason why the drive doesn't work properly (there are plenty of tales of woe out there from people with boards like mine and external hard drives or flash card readers that don't function as they should due to dodgy USB ports :mess: ). I've sold the stick on for almost what I paid for it, so I'm not that out of pocket and the solution's quite straightforward and cheap (a PCI USB 2.0 card :sick: ) so eventually I'll be able to buy another one - it's just annoying to spend all that cash when I didn't really have to....

Edited by GMac

Well, just a month after my last post, my motherboard decided that 3 years toil was enough and shuffled off to silicon heaven :( so I've had to rebuild and reconfigure my pride and joy somewhat. Out went the old CPU, motherboard, RAM, video card, 2 of the optical drives, the sound and USB 2.0 cards and the LS-120 superfloppy, whilst I've added a new big SATA hard disk in addition to the new chip, board, RAM and graphics card. So my rig now looks something like this:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (2.2GHz clock, 512Kb cache, Venice core)

1024MB Corsair PC3200 DDR RAM

Abit AN8 Ultra Skt 939 PCI-Express motherboard (Nvidia NForce4 chipset, 4 SATA ports, 6 USB 2.0 ports, Realtek 850 AC97 sound & 10/100 LAN onboard)

Gecube Ati Radeon 256MB 1600XT PCI-Express graphics card

Fujitsu MAJ3182MP 18GB SCSI HDD (System drive)

Maxtor Atlas 10K III 18GB SCSI HDD (Application drive)

Maxtor Atlas 10K III 73GB SCSI HDD (Games & Storage drive)

Seagate Barracuda 250GB ST3250823AS SATA HDD (Storage drive)

Tekram DC-390U3W SCSI controller

Altec-Lansing ACS33 2.1 Stereo speakers

NEC ND-4550 Multiformat DVD-RW

Plextor Plexwriter 1210S CD-RW

Hansol H711 17" TFT Monitor

Panasonic 1.44MB FDD

Enermax 535W Dual-Fan PSU

Genius Optical mouse, Microsoft Ergonomic keyboard

Lian-Li PC-7 Aluminium case

D-Link DSL-504 Modem/Router

Umax Astra 1220S Scanner, Creative Webcam

Sweex USB 2.0 multiformat memory card reader

Windows XP Pro SP2

Hopefully, another 3 years of trouble-free operation will follow :)

Edited by GMac

That is a very nice 'upgrade' :(

No money for upgrades for myself at the moment, but i am well tempted to replace my a64 3000 cpu with a Opteron 144 which are now available in socket-939, and maybe a X1800XT, maybe in a few months

I recently added 512MB of RAM, to go along with my new graphics card. I'm thinking about upgrading the sound card now, though there are some issues with that. I'm also looking at getting a DVD-RW drive, and my DVD-ROM is acting like it's about to give up the ghost, so I guess I'll be needing a new one of those soon too.

I'm also hoping that I don't add any new USB devices, since I'm out of open ports. :(

Edited by Karma

heh i had an issue with my motherboard only having 4xusb2 ports at the back, so i bought a 4 port usb2 hub off ebay for £5 (and £4.99 of that was postage)

If i was to get a new soundcard, it would be one of those Creative X-Fi cards, but my current Audigy2 is good enough for me at present.

my motherboard decided that 3 years toil was enough and shuffled off to silicon heaven  :(

It must be a very happy motherboard, what with company like pamela Anderson and all.... :)

I'm planning on upgrading my sound card, hard drive, power supply, and DVD drive, in fact i just sent out the request...

Edited by Helburn

The upgrade wasn't actually something I'd planned to do just yet, but when the board croaked, I had to decide whether just to pick up a cheap Socket A mobo and keep everything else pretty much the same (but have to think about doing it all again a few months later), or go the whole hog and move up to a 64-bit chip. As none of the available socket A boards had enough PCI slots to allow me to keep all my existing cards (nearly all had just 2 or 3 PCI slots), I decided to bite the bullet and go for an Athlon 64 solution. Only problem was that also meant a new graphics card and faster RAM as all the decent boards are PCI-Express only these days and need PC3200 RAM. The new HDD and DVD burner were luxury buys though, I will admit.....

heh i had an issue with my motherboard only having 4xusb2 ports at the back, so i bought a 4 port usb2 hub off ebay for £5 (and £4.99 of that was postage)

If i was to get a new soundcard, it would be one of those Creative X-Fi cards, but my current Audigy2 is good enough for me at present.

Yeah, I've got hold of one, so that I don't have to keep diving down the back of my box to connect my card reader and/or USB pen drive each time I want to use them. My current case has a couple of front mounted ports, but wiring them to the motherboard proved to be too awkward with all the cables that there are in there already. I've had to move over to the onboard sound for the same reason (too many cables and also not enough PCI slots on the new board) - the sound chip's pretty good though, so it's no great loss.

Edited by GMac

I forgot to mention in my list of upgrades that I also added a 120GB harddrive back in October or November.

I've got 8 total. Six at the back and two in front (though the ones in front are set up pretty stupidly, if you plug a USB key into one you can't use the other). All six at the back are now full. I do have a four-port hub lying around someplace that I can use if I need to, though.

I recently added 512MB of RAM, to go along with my new graphics card.

Err, what graphics card, Karma? Inquisitive readers want to know! :(

I'm also looking at getting a DVD-RW drive, and my DVD-ROM is acting like it's about to give up the ghost, so I guess I'll be needing a new one of those soon too.

May I recommend LG? Nice and stable...

I'm also hoping that I don't add any new USB devices, since I'm out of open ports. :)

Use a hub - 4 ports out of one, and it costs less than a PCI-USB card, which adds only two more, anyway... :o

Yeah, I've got hold of one, so that I don't have to keep diving down the back of my box to connect my card reader and/or USB pen drive each time I want to use them. My current case has a couple of front mounted ports, but wiring them to the motherboard proved to be too awkward with all the cables that there are in there already. I've had to move over to the onboard sound for the same reason (too many cables and also not enough PCI slots on the new board) - the sound chip's pretty good though, so it's no great loss.

Thankfully the front USB ports on my case were just a simple header that i just had to plug into a USB part of my motherboard, but yeah i agree, on some cases its all multiple wires and is an absolute nightmare.

I was quite happy with the AC97 sound which came with the motherboard (some gigabyte nforce 4 board) but i noticed the sound degraded badly when I was playing Star Wars Republic Commando, so thats why i bought the Audigy2.