Sign in to follow this  
cybersoldier

IMPORTANT: Windows Users Please Read!

I was on another trek bbs-Section 31's and saw a post and thought to copy it here to warn members here

Windows users, please check this URL for information on a brand new virus. The virus has already affected both my computer and laptop within minutes of connection.

Affected Software:

Microsoft Windows NT® 4.0

Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Terminal Services Edition

Microsoft Windows 2000

Microsoft Windows XP

Microsoft Windows Server™ 2003

Please enable your firewalls to maximum protection level, and download the patches for your operating system.

here is the link to the orginal thread where I read the warning

section 31- the helix bbs

microsoft website

I can't remember if I updated or not. :) :)

Edited by Ducane

Well since I use win 98 Icelandic version and my computer isn't hooked to the internet I have no worries :D

my mom might have to worry though :):D:)

Edited by Aske

Yeah I just let Windows Update to alert me when something comes out.

:o You'll have to excuse my mood...it's not every day my puter gets caught with its proverbial pants down, AND hits the other puter on the network with the same thing. :grr::angry::(

And all the time I thought the lockup and shut self down crap this one was doing was coming from what was left with Winamp. :blink: Sure enough...like anything that wants to be a real pain in the @$$....it got my stepdad's puter as well! It had him stumped for a while too. Until he decided to search the Web for info on the premise that it was a virus or worm. And lookie what he found.

Basically this thing gets in through what's called the Remote Proceedure Call...an exchange of commands between two computers on a network, be it LAN, WAN or the Web. :o Not your typical route for a worm program, considering most go through emails or infected files. Microsoft.com came out with a patch on it, and it's available now. (The hyperlink one paragraph down is the page on the worm and has links to the software needed to fix this bug. Doubtless MS will make it real easy to find, given the current worldwide mess.)

Both machines are now patched, and using Internet-connecting two-way firewalls, or I wouldn't be posting this. I strongly recommend that ANYONE who reads this board click the below link, and install the patch. There's a real good chance that this @#*^ worm has gotten out of my machine, through the board, and into yours. :mess::s:D

http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/blast.asp

This update came out TODAY, no less, and the virus according to Microsoft's stats, has hit about 30,000-300,000 computers so far. And there's a real good chance, since it's a timebomb virus, that thousands more still have it, and their users don't know yet. :wha

I speak from experience...you do NOT want this little bugger rattling around in your system. The ugly part of it is this: Delete this thing while still on a network with any infected computers, and it comes back. We'd have thought it gone if stepdad hadn't done a second search to see if the bug was eradicated. Nope. It not only took prying the damned thing out of not only system files, but registry files as well. :lol: This will be a real pain to those who don't know how to get into registry files using the search tool. (Well, what doesn't kill you, teaches you.)

And the crazy part is, all the puters that supposedly have it, are supposed to bombard the Microsoft server (I guess, with error reports?) . Some anti-Microsoft wacko probably made the thing and is having a field day with it. Well, least the fun won't last long. :evil:

As a reminder...don't forget to update your antivirus programs frequently. I'm going to update mine right now, since McAfee probably got wind of this as well.

(And a side note: MS recommends you reload your machine, but we decided putting in the firewalls, updating the antivirals, and installing the patch would be enough, considering it'd be a nightmare to reload two machines simultaneously. :) If you want to reload yours to be on the safe side, do so. Just be aware that it's possible you don't have to go that far.)

*gets off soapbox, shaking her head* Jeeze.

Edited by LightStar

:D Ooops. OK. *sigh*

I thought that was a different update. :lol: That's what I get for having messes occur once every 2 weeks...welcome to the insanity. :):angry:

Well....it's up to the staff now as to whether or not to delete this thread or whatever. If this one's deleted, I'll just repost over there with the newer link.

This has grown so fast and sudden it's no surprise there will be duplicate threads on it. Microsoft released the patch a month ago but it seemed to go unnoticed. Now that this circulates it's getting noticed.

Edited by Teelie

I thought these were two completely different issues. :D

They are related. Two threads got merged. The security hole in the first thread is what is used by the worm from the second one. Only NT/2000/XP/2003 are affected by the worm, the other operating systems don't have to worry.

This is precisely the kind of thing that happens when people don't do updates too. On another board someone was actually complaining about the number of patches they needed to get but that is because they didn't "need" these patches (like Microsoft releases them for fun) and disabled Windows Update over a year ago. Now with this running around she has about 50 updates to do.

Edited by Teelie

I'm darned glad I downloaded and applied the patch when Microsoft first flagged it last month (this is where my IT knowledge gained through my training courses proved invaluable.....) - it's all too easy to get blase about the profusion of Microsoft security patches and their value (or lack thereof), but heeding the warnings pays off more often than not. This is also a perfect example of why everyone should have a firewall of some description in place (and have it properly configured).

This is precisely the kind of thing that happens when people don't do updates too. On another board someone was actually complaining about the number of patches they needed to get but that is because they didn't "need" these patches (like Microsoft releases them for fun) and disabled Windows Update over a year ago. Now with this running around she has about 50 updates to do.

Well, I have a similar situation, I have automatic updates enabled (trust me, I just checked) and it hasn't alerted me about one dammned thing in over a month. I went to the Windows Update site last night and there were twenty more... Not my fault.

I have mine enabled but I usually get the updates faster because I am on the maililng list and I go to the update site about twice a month. The mailing list is really quite useful and much faster than either the "instant notification" or the update site itself. If you're not on the list, I'd say go to the update site once a week to check for updates.

I have tossed around the idea of posting a thread here with the notices they send out. I think I will do that the next time I recieve one.

Hmm. I'll read those threads for sure when they come in.

BTW, I have XP, and had a recurring problem with RPC (Remote Proceedure Call) shutting down my puter and restarting it for the last 2-3 weeks. Well, yesterday I found out that it was a virus--stepdad read the update. It took a few searches for the worm files to get rid of 'em, but once they were gone while the network was shut down, things went fine.

Both puters in our little LAN are patched. Mom's laptop might be next if it shows signs of problems, but she rarely gets online nowadays. We also have Internet firewalls up and running on both puters as well.

Okay; okay . . . I admit it. I'm one of those people that stopped getting the updates from Microsoft because they were A L W A Y S needing me to download something new. So now I have like 40 "critical updates" ;) that I'm told I need. Hey, stop laughing . . . . :lol-bounce::P:D

No, I'm not totally insane. I did keep up with my anti-virus so I am protected from this worm. However, here is the problem . . . I'm unable to download the updates from Microsoft. It goes through the whole process and then stalls at the end without installing what I just spent 3 hours downloading. Most of the updates are for things I don't use or haven't had problems with; however, I'd like to get current.

Can anyone help?