Sign in to follow this  
kazon

What OS is everyone using?

I got XP Home Edition installed at the mo, i bought the OEM from a UK mail order site. On the whole i am very impressed by it, i recently downloaded SP1 for XP. The machine hasn't died yet :)

My machine didn't come with any OS installed as i have custom built my machine from scratch. I have previously had Windows ME (cough) and Windows 2000 installed on it.

A few weeks ago i downloaded Red Hat Linux 7.3 from redhat.com, i've been harassed by a mate (who shall renamed nameless) to install this, I am using RH more and more at work but i can't really see myself actually using it at home with the exception of learning more about the OS.

So whats everyone running? and if they had the option/cash what would they be running?

For a first time user, Mandrake is the best, although I learnt on RedHat.

But remember to use the console a lot. That's the only way to get to know the system.

My OSs are Windoze 2000 Professional and Mandrake 8.2 on my PC.

I'm getting rather sick of trying to get Turbo C++ to work properly (yes! I still use TC. It's better for exploration than things like visual c that carry an overhead the size of a 747 :) ) and I might install either 98 SE or ME on another partition. I have yet to decide which, and whether to keep 2000 also. Any advice, guys?

And I'm building a Linux distro for my dad's office. It's FUN! :scared:

Let's see...:

Windoiws 2000 Pro

Windows 98

Windows 98SE

Linux Redhat

Windows XP Home

Windows 95 (currently not in working order)

Two other computers non-operational with unknown OS on them. Once I get them fixed, I'll know then

I also take care of computers with:

XP Pro

Millennium Edition

My current OS is XP Home SP1, and I'm quite happy with it - no problems at all :)

I have also used the following OS's:

DOS - err various versions of it anyway

Windows 3.1, 95, 98, NT, 2000

Mandrake and Red Hat

Mac OSX

and some HP OS that I've forgotten the name of

Work: NT4

Home: Windows XP (love it... best OS microsoft has put out in a long time... it actually got me to buy a PC again)

Portable: Mac OSX Jaguar ( the original OSX release was nice.. unix is good.. but they jumped the gun and released what felt like a beta OS as a final product. I'm Glad to say that Jaguar has cleaned up any complaints i might have had.

I use windows 98, AND no scary stories how it's lousy or anything, it works for me :)

I have Windows 98 as well, and operating under the adage if it isn't broken, don't fix it, I have no reason to change any time soon. :scared:

I use windows 98, AND no scary stories how it's lousy or anything, it works for me :(

I have Windows 98 as well, and operating under the adage if it isn't broken, don't fix it, I have no reason to change any time soon. ;)

Microsoft might discontinue support of 98/SE soon. It did so with 95 last year or the year before, 98/SE is next in line for the ax. So while your OS might not be broke now, when it does eventually or there's a major change Microsoft is going to tell you "Tough luck, here buy XP, we aren't supporting it anymore." :P

I am using Windows 98 SE, Since May 2002 i have not had one crash, freeze, or blue screen on my computer. Im thinking that is very good.

I use windows 98, AND no scary stories how it's lousy or anything, it works for me :(

I have Windows 98 as well, and operating under the adage if it isn't broken, don't fix it, I have no reason to change any time soon. ;)

Microsoft might discontinue support of 98/SE soon. It did so with 95 last year or the year before, 98/SE is next in line for the ax. So while your OS might not be broke now, when it does eventually or there's a major change Microsoft is going to tell you "Tough luck, here buy XP, we aren't supporting it anymore." :P

Ummm.... so? :P

So... when it happens and you run into a problem, you'll find out. :blink:

Nope, becouse when that happends, I probably already have a new computer with a new os :D

Nope, becouse when that happends, I probably already have a new computer with a new os :blink:

Same here. I have yet to go to Microsoft for support (never had the need to), and seriously doubt I ever will with this OS.

And if anything happends anyways, its probably just my own fault and all I need to do then is reinstall win 98 :D

done it before and I can't see that I will have any problem in the future... especially after I stopped snubbing around in the setup :blink::blink:

Do you do updates though? Service Packs? Media Updates? There's a lot of support you wouldn't realize as support.

Why? the only real use I have for my computer is to write stories :blink:

I even have a laptop from 1993 that still works and I can write on it and I don't need to update it