Sign in to follow this  
Cartagia

Last Book You Read, and Review

Title: Sea of Swords by R.A. Salvatore

Review: The most recent of Slavatore's Forgotten Realms/ Drizzt Do'Urden novels. The plot moved along smoothly and the interactions between the characters really allowed to further their personalities, but like most of Slvatore's recent novels they seem rushed in the last 1/4 as if he had a much bigger design in mind, but didn't want to write a larger series than he already had. The action was good like all of Salvatore's work, and the new villians worked quite well.

We Where Soldiers Once and Young... If you have seen the movie you really should read this book. It is amazing. It tells of the hardships of the Vietnam war as told by Lt. Genereal Harold Moore.

Black Robe by Brian Moore. I was assigned it for a history class and unless you are forced to read it for a similar reason, I recommend steering clear of this one.

Last book I read: "Curtain" by Agatha Christie

It's the last Hercule Poirot book in which the famous Belgian detective dies from a heart attack after having murdered a devious murderer himself. It's situated at Styles , the very place were the Poirot adventures started.

Guest Q

Dragon Prince by Melanie Rawn

A long, sometimes boring book...#1 in a series of 6. :lol: I don't know if I'll make it through all of them. :)

Dragon Prince by Melanie Rawn

A long, sometimes boring book...#1 in a series of 6. :blink: I don't know if I'll make it through all of them. :D

They get better...well at least the next two do. I read that series when there was only 3 books in it. ;)

Book: The Gunslinger, Book I of the Dark Tower series

Author: Stephen King

What I thought: King believes his own story, that much is certain. Throughout, all I could think was, King knows where he wants to go, and so he will rely on mood and atmosphere in the meantime to get the reader there. It is a good, quick read, but it leaves me wanting. Perhaps that's what he wants, since in the afterword he confesses to perhaps a 3000 page total for the completed Dark Tower saga, but perhaps it's a problem with his writing. I don't know. It's the first book of his that I've read. I'll choice the next more carefully.

"Rivals" by Jilly Cooper

Click for Spoiler:

a riotous story of life behind the television screen. It marks the return of Rupert Campbell-Black, the unscrupulous hero of RIDERS, and explores the machinations and pleasures of the very rich, from the agonies of obession to the passions and betrayal of men and women used to getting what they want. The book has a couple of sequels...

Book: The Gunslinger, Book I of the Dark Tower series

Author: Stephen King

What I thought: King believes his own story, that much is certain.  Throughout, all I could think was, King knows where he wants to go, and so he will rely on mood and atmosphere in the meantime to get the reader there.  It is a good, quick read, but it leaves me wanting.  Perhaps that's what he wants, since in the afterword he confesses to perhaps a 3000 page total for the completed Dark Tower saga, but perhaps it's a problem with his writing.  I don't know.  It's the first book of his that I've read.  I'll choice the next more carefully.

I've read through part 3 and they are all very good. I have part 4 waiting its turn. The Talisman and Black House also add alot of dimension to the world Roland lives in. Parts 5-7 are due out in the next year and a half (not bad considering it took about 15 years for the first 4.

Title: Red Dragon by Thomas Harris

Review: The first of the Hannibal Lecter novels. Although Lecter has very little to do in this novel the rest of the action flows quite well. Clarice is missing (she doesn't show up until Silence), but the investigator used is very intersting. It's a remarkable easy read for such a deep dive into the characters and their motives.

:):):);) of 4

From what I understand, King srpinkled a little bit of the Dark Tower into many of his books.

I wonder how much of the story will be completed with these new releases?

I finished Insomnia by Stephen King about a week ago (no relation to the movie with Al Pacino and Robin Williams). It was my first King book in quite a while, and for the first two parts I enjoyed it. Even though it deals with some issues (such as abortion) where I have radically different views than the author, I still found it to be a good read and mostly entertaining.

However, in the third part, it's as if King handed the story off to his assistant. All the characterizations and mysterious powers turn into cardboard characters performing magic-on-demand. After the brilliant setup, I was really expecting more than that.

I also didn't care for the author's tendency to recount scenes that happened a few chapters ago in case the reader doesn't remember. Maybe that's a part of his writing style though, I don't know. Overall, it could have been good, but ended up being very average.

However, in the third part, it's as if King handed the story off to his assistant. All the characterizations and mysterious powers turn into cardboard characters performing magic-on-demand. After the brilliant setup, I was really expecting more than that.

I also didn't care for the author's tendency to recount scenes that happened a few chapters ago in case the reader doesn't remember. Maybe that's a part of his writing style though, I don't know. Overall, it could have been good, but ended up being very average.

I read Inosmnia[//i] quite a while back, and it is way below par for his regular stuff.

Eward the Seventh: Prince of Hearts

a "romanticized" semi-biography depicting the "early" years - well, till his mother finally died in 1901 - of the British King and Emperor of India, the big and fat, Edward VII.

From what I understand, King srpinkled a little bit of the Dark Tower into many of his books.

That's very true. Almost all of his books have conections to the others.

Also there's a short story about Roland in Everything's Eventual titled "The Little Sisters of Aluria(sp?)". And The Eyes of the Dragon takes place in Roland's world, but the exact connections aren't es

I got "The Stephen King Universe" and it goes through great lengths explaining all the connections and cross-over characters such as the Dark Tower, The Crimson King, the "breakers" and alot of other stuff. it's reall helpful if you intend to read them all. It's all very interesting.

The Apocalypse Troll by David Weber

This book was written early in his career and was set aside in favor of other works of his when it came to the publishing schedule. Once his Honor Harrington series really took off, and due to a contractual obligation, this book was dusted off and published.

It begins 500 years in the future when Humanity is coming ever closer to winning a centuries long war with a genocidal alien species. Out of sheer desperation, the aliens launch an attack back through time to wipe out Humans before they can become a threat to them. One Human pilot survives the epic battle and finds herself alone in the past - our present. However she is not the only one from the future to survive - a Troll, a Human brain within a mechanical body and alien engineered to fight other humans has also survived and is intent on carrying out it's mission to destroy the planet. Who will win?

While the idea behind the plot is almost cliche (can we say Terminator?), Weber manages to keep the narrative flowing smoothly along. Perhaps too smooth at times as it seems the story unfolds rather rapidly. Still, his knowledge of military hardware is evident and the characters, while never truly standing out from the story, seem to operate under the normal range of Human emotions. I found it to be a quick, light and enjoyable read.

Guest Q

I'm about half way through the second book in the Dragon Prince series: The Star Scroll and it's finally getting good. I love the Sunrunners. :scared:

Everything You Know is Wrong by The Disinformation Company

This book, a follow up to You are Being Lied To, sums up some recent top stories in the news with more facts then the mainstream media gave. For a little taste, do what I do: Read about someting on the CNN website. Read about the same topic on the BBC. Many times the BBC has much more accurate and verbose information, especially on matters within Europe.

The book is really effective for Americans-- depending on the news programs we watch, they can be heavily affected by media bias, corporate bias, and a servere lack of information. You will find this "lack of information" is very common in major news stories, leaving something to be desired in their journalistic skills.

It's not a conspiracy theory book, really. It's more of an alternative media critique of the way strories were presented-- by giving you the whole story, or at least the evidence for you to draw your own conclusions.

For example:

Why did so many witnesses to the Columbine shootings say there was a third shooter? Why is there absolutely no record of this in the "official" Columine report we got from the media? Why are there liberal references to more shooters in the full official guide, despite the committee's efforts to heavily edit it?

We don't hear much about nuclear power near-disasters in the U.S. Read a couple dozen reports of how reactors very nearly vented dangeous pollutants, or even came close to a meltdown.

Read some detailed information on the Waco events. The Branch Davidians aren't a cult. They didn't shoot first. They didn't hate the authorities. In fact, when the shooting started... Koresh called 911. The "tear gas" used was not only lethal, but delivered in massive quantities.

There are dozens more interesting stories to read. I would highly recommend this book if you trust the media to tell you the truth.

Last book I read was "The Scarlett Letter." Started and finished it today, actually. Terrible book. I hate all reading books with "thou" and "wherefore." Ugh.

Edward the Seventh, The Peacemaker

sequel to the other "Edward the Seventh" book. This book tells the romanticized story of prince Albert Edward's ascension to the throne after his mother's death in 1901 till his own death in 1910.

Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the ring :wub:

Err do I need to review it????

Anyways as always it's very good, and shows who great writer Tolkien was. It's great to see how the book starts innocent and slowly and gratually gets darker and darker.

Some Honor Harrington book by David Weber, I can't remember the title! Something that has honor in it. It's the 5th book in the series, I believe, and it was awesome. They all are. I need to get more.