Sign in to follow this  
Diesel Micky Dolenz

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Well, that was certainly... long. About a half hour too long I'd say. And meandering. I've never felt so meh about a Star Wars film before. There were a few worthy moments, to be sure,

Spoiler

particularly the way Snoke died

but much of what happened seemed to be filler, taking the viewer from one ship-to-ship combat scene to another hand-to-hand (or lightsaber) combat scene. Before seeing the film, I saw it suggested that people don't like Rose Tico because it's introducing more diversity into the Star Wars cast. Having seen the film, while there are certainly people that will be against such things, I just thought she was a boring character.

And what was the point of

Spoiler

having Luke die? Did Hamill want out? Luke got the best moments of the film, but that death was ridiculous.

Oh, and WTF was with the bombers? In space? There's no gravity! And Vice Admiral Holdo is a hero, but a stupid one, and so is Poe Dameron. Because Holdo chooses to leave Dameron in the dark about her plan, Dameron launches his crazy plan to save the fleet.

Spoiler

It's as a direct result of that plan's failure that almost everyone dies. It's how the First Order finds out about the cloaked ships.

Was that an attempt to try and tie it to The Empire Strikes Back? Luke tries to save his friends, but only ends up making things worse?

So was it better than the prequel films? Maybe, but at least those made me feel something. This just felt like a waste of time.

I saw it yesterday. It had a lot of plot holes but was an enjoyable film overall. The lack of Rey was a disappointment. I just read that Mark Hamill strongly disagreed with Luke's story in the movie. I can understand why.

I'll try to post more of my thoughts tomorrow.

I think what happened to Luke was that one happy ending didn’t really make up for the fact that he was unprepared to rebuild the Jedi all by himself. But even from the very first Star Wars movie we saw the kind of thought process that would result in this, and I’m not talking about Luke, but Obi-Wan, who spent years hiding the truth from him and letting a bad situation play out, until he no longer felt he had that option. It’s what happens with a Jedi mentality, which is reactionary, whereas the Sith are proactive. And that’s really the difference between them, not how they use the Force. But the Skywalkers tend to be wildcards. The traditional rules don’t necessarily apply. So they can be proactive and reactive, too. They just don’t have the proper guidance, because there’s no one to guide them on such a path. Kylo Ren continues that. Luke’s distrust of his nephew is his stumbling block, just as Obi-Wan’s inability to look past Jedi standards was his. He could’ve been training Luke that whole time! And so Luke doesn’t know how to train any better. He becomes his idea of Yoda, of Obi-Wan. But he isn’t either of them. Which turns out to be a good thing. And probably how Rey will finally break the cycle in the third movie.