Sign in to follow this  
Digitalfreak™

How was it impossible to counter Shinzon's cloaking device?

I haven't watched Nemesis in a long time so my memory isn't 100% there.. but I got to thinking about this earlier.

Exactly how is it impossible to detect Shinzon's cloak? By the middle to end of the 24th century, Starfleet had the way of using the tachyon particles which basically created a net (Geordi's idea BTW). Cloaked or not, any object passing through those particles would cause interference or ripples or movement inside the net. Doesn't matter how much you bend light to become invisible, you still have mass and you still are passing through an object. Only other way I could think of to counter that effect would to have the phase cloak that Pressman was working on while on the USS Pegasus.  There was no evidence his cloak had that ability.

Obviously, the main difficulty would be to organize enough ships to place in strategic locations in order to launch effective nets.  Or, use tachyon emitters in strategic areas but those could be popped off by Shinzon.  

Now, if you could find and detect Shinzon, you still had the problem of disabling or destroying The Scimitar.  It took the 1701-E everything she could muster, and even with the help of the new Romulan warbirds, still couldn't disable The Scimitar without ramming it.  And even THEN, it still had the ability to use it's primary weapon.  It would take DS9 sized fleets to take The Scimitar out.

Or maybe the USS Defiant in close quarters combat like what was seen in "Shattered Mirror."  :devil:

Ummm... because reasons?

Not having watched Nemesis or the episode where Geordi devised the tachyon net thingy for many years, I really can't say, but I'll throw out some I'll-informed ideas. First, as time marches on, technology does, too. Perhaps the Romulans have developed some way to evade detection even by those means in the years between the series and Nemesis. Secondly, a net implies a static structure, waiting for something to attempt to pass through it. The Enterprise, IIRC, was running for its life. Any net cast into space would quickly be left behind. Again, I don't even remotely recall the episode where the cloak-defeating technology was developed. I don't even recall it being done, so perhaps I'm mischaracterizing how it works, but that's my stab at it.

1. I agree with DMD. As I understood it the grid employed by the Federation during the Klingon Civil War used active tachyon beams transmitted between different starships or sentry posts to create a tachyon field. The net thus was literally a “stationary” net which "caught" objects moving through. It thus would not work with a single starship moving through space. In effect, you could compare it to the SOSUS line used by NATO in the GIUK gap to search and track Russian submarines.
  2. But all this is academic because if I recall correctly in Nemesis it was stated that the Scimitar used a newly developed cloaking technology which produced no tachyon emissions at all, making tachyon grids or scans obsolete with regards to combatting the use of cloaking devices.