Sign in to follow this  
Askre

The Son's of Mogh. the ending bothers me.

Okay I got to be honest, I love Kurn, Worf's younger brother. He kind of showed a bit of a mirror of what Worf could have been if Worf had been raised in the Klingon Empire instead of the Federation.

However, lately and propably due to hindsight of what happens to Worf later, the ending of Son's of Mogh episode in DS9 really has started to bother me. Basically they decided to wipe Kurn out, in the weak excuse that he could live again as a Klingon.

So a friend of their father's agrees to adopt Kurn with a new name and the false identity of being his son.

Why couldn't they just do all that without altering Kurn and wiping his memories? Martok practically does the same thing for Worf later in the series. Noggra seems to be a rather agreeable fellow considering he agreed to play along with a deception to give Kurn a new live, why wouldn't he agree to just simply adopt Kurn?

Then again I have to admit, I never liked how DS9 handled the Klingons and Worf a lot of the times.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind there is conflict between allies and the Klingons are the dictionary definition of uneasy alliance, but I don't know, I think they were sometimes trying too hard.

Edited by Askre

They would have let Kurn do that, but it was Kurn himself who could not live a life with no honor, no house, and just could not simply join the Bajorian security force or even Starfleet.  It was his Klingon pride.

It's unfortunate because if he had only lived for another year or two he would have been welcomed into Martok's House with Worf.  It's actually a real tragedy.  

After the dissolution of the House of Mogh Kurn wandered as a persona non grata in the Empire, unable to commit suicide as it was considered a dishonorable mode of death and became an alcoholic. He tried to restore his honor by Worf killing him in the “Mauk-to'Vor ritual but was medically saved in time. He entered Odo’s security force but tried to be killed in the line of duty to restore his honor, making him a danger for his colleagues. After killing a Klingon warrior on a secret mission with Worf, Kurn wanted to commit dishonorable direct suicide. So in effect what they did was a last resort to save his life. The irony is indeed that a few years later he would have been restored in honor, but with his death seeking he probably would not have been alive to see it.

I always wondered though whether the memory wiping of Kurn could be reversed.

Edited by fdewaele

I do get what both of you are saying, but honestly it just makes me dislike the ending that much more. It feels cheap and more like they just chickened out of letting Kurn die, which I would have preferred over what we got instead. But that's just me.

I don't remember much about this episode but I know I didn't like how Kurn ended up being wiped of his memories. It felt liked a weak ending for both the character and the episode.

Somewhere there’s an awesome sequel where he regains his memory and is so vengeful he becomes chancellor just so he can punish Worf. Technically I guess he could dissolve the House of Martok, and once again be the last son of Mogh.