Sign in to follow this  
Digitalfreak™

Anyone else try out 3D printing?

3D printing is almost like modern day replicators.  The prices of these machines have been dropping.  A friend of mine got one, and we've been learning things from it.  Anyone else have one, or has used one?  Any tips, tricks, advice?

I've been playing around with 3D rendering, but thanks to some websites, you can practically download and mesh you want to print.  Many artists on Deviantart have uploaded their models, and other websites have them to download.  Thingieverse comes to mind.

In fact, I've bought a couple 3D printed starship models at comic cons.  They're really good quality.  One is an original designed by the artist and it's a mix of TOS and Abramsverse Constitution Class USS Constellation.  The other is a Star Trek: Beyond version of the Abrams1701.  I'd post pictures but it won't let me upload.

My local library has one. There used to be a display of trinkets and models created by the 3D printer. Most of them weren't very impressive. A single color plastic with rough edges and not much detail. Maybe it's a cheap 3D printer. Or maybe only kids are using it and they don't know what they're doing.

I have not, I'm one of those weirdos who never goes into new technology until it several years old. :D

We had a 3D printer at my old workplace (School), it was pretty neat. I printed out a Yoda face haha.