Sign in to follow this  
Digitalfreak™

Anybody else go to comic cons?

Up until just a couple years ago, I never really had the time to travel to a good comic con.  Also, living in the Southeastern United States never really gave me much choices of going to cons unless it was in New York, or San Diego.

With the surging popularity of the entire scifi/fantasy/comic world, cons are now popping up every where.  Most of the time there are comic artists, authors, cosplayers, and the occasional actor/actress and voiceover acter/actress.  The vendors who sell items usually have a great assortment of items covering almost anything you're looking for.  

I've also met a few celebrities.  I ususally try to focus on Trek actors first, but have met a few from other shows and movies.

Who I've met:

• William Shatner (Met him in New Orleans, he was the first Trek celebrity I got to meet and get a picture with.  I decided to start with the best :P)
  • Walter Koenig (Very nice!)
  • René Auberjonois 
  • Terry Farrell (she was an absolute sweetheart, and she's still sexy!)
  • Tim Russ
  • Scott Wilson (Hershel from The Walking Dead)
  • Bruce Boxleitner (Sheridian from Babylon 5)
  • Jason Carter (Marcus Cole from Babylon 5)
  • Mitch Pileggi (Caldwell from Stargate: Atlantis, Skinner from X Files)  Actually met him in a cool way, we were walking downtown in Pensacola, Florida and he walked by us on the sidewalk.  
  • Sam Jones (Flash Gorgon) Met him at an Irish pub 

I haven't been in ages, but Megacon comes to Orlando and I've been to it. Also, there used to be an Orlando con called Vul-con (there's currently one that meets in Alberta, I believe). I didn't stand in line for autographs or to meet the stars, but I did go to the Q&A sessions. I don't recall all of them, but I know I saw DeForest Kelley, James Doohan, George Takei, Jonathan Frakes, and Marina Sirtis. If you've never been to a convention, it's a must, if only for the spectacle of the cosplayers and sheer volume of memorabilia available.

Definitely!  I went to the Terry Farrell and René Auberjonois panel in February and it was a blast.  I managed to get in relatively early and was able to ask them about "Trials and Tribble-ations" and their thoughts about filming that flashback episode.  

I've actually built a couple cosplay suits myself.. one being the Star Trek 4-6 Scotty with the black vest, and the other a TNG Admiral.

I went to ConnectiCon once about with a friend of mine. We were expecting a comic book convention but it was all about anime. There were tons of cosplayers. Lots of wooden or foam weapons. Not our thing so we left and went to see Superman Returns.

I also went to a Twilight Zone Convention in New Jersey. I met the late Lois Nettleton, who starred in "The Midnight Sun," and got her autograph. I saw Mickey Rooney across the room but didn't approach him or get his autograph, which I now regret. I also spoke briefly to Mary Badham, who was in the very last episode of the Twilight Zone ("The Bewitchin' Pool). She's better known for playing Scout in the movie To Kill a Mockingbird.