Sign in to follow this  
forst

Sci-Fi & Fantasy TV 2017-2018

The 2017-2018 network television season started yesterday. That means the return of the Arrowverse on The CW and various other sci-fi/fantasy TV shows in the coming weeks.

The Orville has already premiered on FOX. Three episodes have aired. I'm enjoying it. The promos made it look like a Galaxy Quest spoof. It's really more of an homage to Star Trek. The music is especially spot on. Anyone else watching?

I'm looking forward to The Gifted on FOX. I'll watch Marvel's Inhumans, or at least the two-hour premiere. It doesn't look good. I'm also going to watch Ghosted on FOX. I've given up on Once Upon a Time.

I can't decide whether to keep watching Supergirl. The first season on CBS was hit or miss; the second season on The CW was mostly miss. I will keep watching Arrow, The Flash, and DC's Legends of Tomorrow. Also, Supernatural. I'm still watching The Walking Dead but I did give up on Fear the Walking Dead.

--

Here's a list of sci-fi/fantasy/horror TV show premieres, courtesy of Collider:

Friday, September 29

Marvel’s Inhumans (ABC, 8 p.m.)
The Exorcist (FOX, 9 p.m.)

Sunday, October 1

Ghosted (FOX, 8:30 p.m.)

Monday, October 2

Lucifer (FOX, 8:00 p.m.)
The Gifted (FOX, 9:00 p.m.)

Tuesday, October 3

Kevin (Probably) Saves the World (ABC, 10 p.m.)

Friday, October 6

Once Upon a Time (ABC, 8 p.m.)

Monday, October 9

Supergirl (CW, 8 p.m.)

Tuesday, October 10

The Flash (CW, 8 p.m.)
DC’s Legends of Tomorrow (CW, 9 p.m.)

Wednesday, October 11

Riverdale (CW, 8 p.m.)
The Shannara Chronicles (Spike, 10 p.m.)

Thursday, October 12

Supernatural (CW, 8 p.m.)
Arrow (CW, 9 p.m.)

Saturday, October 14

Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency (BBC America, 9 p.m.)

Sunday, October 22

The Walking Dead (AMC, 9 p.m.)

Tuesday, November 14

Future Man (Hulu)

Tuesday, November 21

Marvel’s Runaways (Hulu)

I watch all the Arrowverse shows, so I'm looking forward to their return. I'm still watching The Walking Dead but only gave Fear TWD one season. I caught parts bits and pieces of it since, but nothing that suggested I made a mistake in walking away. I've also long-since given up on Once Upon a Time, Gotham, The Expanse and Marvel's Agents of SHIELD. The only new show I've picked up (or expect to) is The Orville. It's just OK. It's not really funny enough to be a comedy or interesting enough to be a drama. Very few shows have managed to be a successful one-hour dramedy, and I think they'd do better to either shorten to a half hour and punch up the funny or put more effort into being a serious sci-fi show.

Oh yea, Fear TWD is horrible.  Had to force myself to watch season 1, and only seen pieces of season 2.  

I met Scott Wilson (Hershel) at a comic con back in February.  He's an extremely cool person.  

I also met Terry Farrell, René Auberjonois and Walter Koenig.  They all were extremely nice.

I watched the first season of Fear the Walking Dead, hoping it would get good. Then I suffered through all of Season 2 before finally throwing in the towel.

I'm still watching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 4 was a mixed bag. The first arc (Ghost Rider) was awful. The second arc (LMD) was pretty good. The third arc (Agents of Hydra) was great. I'm tentatively excited for Season 5.

Anyone watch Marvel's Inhumans last night? It wasn't as bad as reviews made it sound. But it wasn't very good. I think there are only 8 or 10 episodes. I'll probably watch them all. I'm a sucker for Marvel TV.

Orville... its cringy, predictable, cliche, and derivative. its also full of plot holes. its barely watchable in my opinion. but i have to admit that i have seen all the episodes to date.

17 hours ago, [ace] said:

Orville... its cringy, predictable, cliche, and derivative. its also full of plot holes. its barely watchable in my opinion. but i have to admit that i have seen all the episodes to date.

It's been renewed for a 2nd season, so you're not alone. I've seen a few episodes. It tries hard, so there's that. I can't say it's must-watch TV, but I want it to be good.

I'm enjoying The Orville. I especially like playing the "Star Trek did it!" game while watching.

I'm watching The Orville and I too often play that game as well forst, but atleast it has more of a Star Trek feel, than Star Trek IMHO. Where is the sence of wonder, the social debate, the exploration... All Star Trek focusses on is war and drama (And that fine, but there a lot of shows out there that do it way better)?!? 

For instance the 7th Orville episode could easily have been a Trek ep. It made me think and rethink how I/we act and interact. Like Trek used to do.

When I watch Discovery it's just 42 minutes of action and drama. It comes and goes. I haven't felt the need to discus any of the eps sofar on this forum. It's GoT but then in space and with worse actors, poor music...