Sign in to follow this  
Digitalfreak™

Jodie Whittaker is the 13th Doctor

Since I'm somewhat a newbie Doctor Who fan, I'm not as upset as many are in regards to her being the first female Doctor.  I'm going to still watch and hope the series has good, entertaining and compelling stories.  

I'm not up on British television, so I know nothing about Jodie Whittaker and how her acting ability is.  So I'll be going in with a fresh perspective.  

http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/article/jodie-whittaker-is-the-thirteenth-doctor

I'm excited and hopeful this will shake up what has otherwise become a somewhat repetitive series. I also have no idea who Jodie Whittaker is but I had no idea who any of the actors were when they were announced as the Doctor.

Same here, but honestly, I never got into Doctor Who until after Capaldi got the role.  It's been fascinating seeing the reaction on Doctor Who pages though.  There's A LOT of people who are upset about it.  

I don't have any real feelings about it, as I've never been a Dr. Who watcher. I'd be upset if a new Trek series cast a woman as Kirk, but I didn't really care that the 2000-era BSG cast a woman as Starbuck as it was a complete reboot, which this is not. As I understand it, since the Doctor regenerates, rather than simply being recast, there's no in-universe reason that the result of that regeneration would have to be male. That being the case, I don't really see the reason for getting all worked up.

Yeah and the former writers and Stephen Moffett started working this angle in a while back.  When The Doctor dies, the body regenerates into a new one.  Also, The Doctor usually gets a new personality but keeps the same memories.  This was a brilliant idea used back in the 60's when the first actor, William Hartnell, became too ill to continue with the show.  But basically, the regeneration is somewhat random but apparently The Doctor can have some influence in what the next body will be in the moments before the current body dies.

Yeah, a friend, who actually is opposed to this, mentioned to me that I'd be pissed if they rebooted Star Trek and made Kirk and Spock lesbian lovers.   :lol-bounce:

I only started with Doctor Who when the restarted the series in the early 2000s. I was a great fan of Tennant, Smith and even Capaldi grew on me. I couldn’t stand the Eccleston variant (luckily only 1 season) though. So I love Doctor Who but I’m kinda hesitant in seeing the Doctor turn female. I thus have my reservations regarding this move.

I also started watching when the series picked up again in 2005. I thought Eccleston was great as the Doctor and hated to see him go. Tennant did fine work as well. Smith was okay. Capaldi has been mediocre.

I'm cautious about it, I don't downright hate the idea at all, however I just don't trust the current show writers with the idea. The new series has had this big habit of almost every companion being a "love interest" or at least being love sick for the Doctor. I don't mind romance in TV or other stories, but to me The Doctor has always been an aromantic character, keep in mind though I'm heavily biased, when I got into Doctor Who, I started from the start from the 1st Doctor before I even touched the new series (I tend to need to watch thing from the start to be able to get into them)

However I have not completely written it off, I will give this a chance, but as I said, I'm cautious.