Sign in to follow this  
Digitalfreak™

Has it ever been stated why Q was so afraid of Guinan?

I can't think of a reason officially, but over the years I've speculated and have even read elsewhere that the reason Q acted so differently when Guinan was around was the possibility that El Aurians are somehow immune to Q's powers?  Anyone know any other reasons, or have thoughts about this?

I always thought this would be a good topic for someone to cover in a Trek novel, but I don't think it was ever explicitly stated. When Q and Guinan come face-to-face Guinan strikes a pose that suggests she could possibly defend herself or even be a danger to Q, but nothing else in the series ever suggests the El Aurians have any kind of offensive powers. At least, not that I recall. It's possible that the Q can't, say, change her into a slug or make her blink out of existence, but given their powers, I don't see how they still wouldn't be able to best her.

Yep I believe, at least Guinan, can immune herself from anything Q does directly to her like taking her away or transforming her.  But if she's on the ship, as what was done in "Q Who," she would be taken where ever the ship goes.  Also wondering if Soran or the El Aurian on DS9 was also immune.  Or could it be that El Aurians each have their own special talent unique to themselves?

Difficult to say. I don't recall the El Aurian on DS9, but Soran didn't exhibit any powers beyond being long lived.The El Aurian's didn't collectively have the ability to save themselves from the Nexus. I suppose it's possible that Guinan wasn't herself and actual El Aurian. I believe Q referred to her as an Imp and told Picard that she wasn't what she seemed. We never got to see whether other El Aurians could sense disturbances in the timeline like Guinan did in Yesterday's Enterprise.

I suspect this is a problem in how the idea of Guinan changed over the years. Clearly there was a different idea, originally. But she might have intimidated Q as someone he could never screw with, because of the particular El-Aurian receptive acuity; they always know exactly what's really going on. But the Borg damaged that by scattering them across the galaxy, breaking the certainty they once knew when they were all gathered together and never had to doubt that everyone around them shared the same certainty. That's what drove Soran mad, the lost center of balance. Clearly Guinan kept hers, which was why she knew, for instance, when reality changed ("Yesterday's Enterprise").

I could've sworn there was an explanation given in one of the novels. Maybe one by Peter David? Didn't he write a lot about Q?

Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

I always thought they had some personal history and/or Guinan had some knowledge of some dark secrets/weakness of Q that he didn't want to see unveiled. Oh, and of course she just knows how to get under his skin :D