Sign in to follow this  
forst

Star Trek 4 (Kelvin Timeline) Not Guaranteed

Both TrekCore and TrekMovie have posts up reporting on comments made a few days ago by Zachary Quinto. Basically, he's hopeful for a fourth "Kelvin Timeline" movie but says there are "no guarantees" it will happen.

Thoughts? Will you be devastated if there is no fourth movie for Pine, Quinto, Urban, and company?

I enjoyed Star Trek (2009) quite a bit. But both Into Darkness and Beyond were underwhelming, in my opinion. The only thing I'm looking forward to in a fourth movie is the return of Sofia Boutella as Jaylah.

13 hours ago, forst said:

The only thing I'm looking forward to in a fourth movie is the return of Sofia Boutella as Jaylah.

Is that even a given? I'd have expected Alice Eve to reprise her role as Carol Marcus, but that didn't happen. The only guest role I've heard is Chris Hemsworth as George Kirk somehow. 

I'd like to see it happen. I've enjoyed all three iterations of the current version to varying degrees. Ditch the ridiculous motorcycle sequence, and I think Beyond was generally on the right track. I'm not too surprised at Quinto's comments, though. Beyond was horribly promoted (not so much as a peep building up to the 50th anniversary of Trek and then a barrage just before the film;s release) and didn't perform up to the studio's expectations. Plus, just coordinating the actors' schedules will be a nightmare. Zoe Saldana is tied up with multiple Marvel films (as is Hemsworth) plus four Avatar sequels. Chris Pine keeps popping up in things, too. TPTB have said they're not going to recast Chekov after Anton Yelchin's death, so I guess that's not a factor.

Even if I didn't enjoy the films as much as I did, I wouldn't want them to come to an end. With Discovery currently seeming to be in such disarray, I'd hate to see the entire franchise crash and burn again. In other words, I'm not looking forward to a decade without new Trek being produced before Paramount or CBS decides to give it another shot in some form or other. We'll see (perhaps) what we get with Discovery, but there's nothing so wrong with the current film universe that it can't be successful.

I also enjoy the new movies and really don't want to see them end.  As much as a TOS purist I used to be, that's a lot coming from me.  The cast and ship has finally grown on me and I enjoy the 2009 movie and Beyond more.  I still don't like Into Darkness: I dislike it more each time I "catch it on" because I'm at the point where I'm not going to put the Bluray in to watch it.  

If they're waiting for an opening in Chris Hemsworth's schedule just so he can be George Kirk again, they need to rethink their idea of the story and come up with something else.  

And if they're having so much trouble with Discovery, maybe it is better to wait until they get their stuff straight so we won't get a rushed/subpar product.  

Also, horrible promotion and merchandising for Beyond and Trek 50.  

On 4/25/2017 at 11:50 AM, Diesel Micky Dolenz said:

Is that even a given? I'd have expected Alice Eve to reprise her role as Carol Marcus, but that didn't happen. The only guest role I've heard is Chris Hemsworth as George Kirk somehow.

Considering how much praise Boutella received, I can't imagine the producers wouldn't try to bring Jaylah back for Trek 4. 

I wouldn't mind seeing Alice Eve return as Carol Marcus.