Sign in to follow this  
RMrulz

15 (!) years later...

I still live.

I even got to reference the old days of Section 31 when somebody on a forum I helped run was saying our rules were unfair, we basically only have "respect others, don't post links to unauthorized materials" telling that person, dude, I've been on a forum with much, MUCH stricter rules, you don't even know how strict they were.

Anyway, I moved back to Iceland nine months ago and found a job almost immediatly, I always intended to become more active here again, but like all good plans they tended to peter out. Hopefully though with the new trek series, I'll remember more to come here again. :D

I turn 39 in December.  Hell, when I first joined the OL I think I was 16... It was sometime in 1995/1996 before First Contact came out.  Agent 01 had a news story on section31 showing what the Enterprise-E was going to be, or it might have been what it *might* have looked like.  Either way, gots me hooked.

I'm 34 and I've been feeling old since 30. :blink: I actually have no idea when I first joined, I think it was somewhere in the late 1999 or early-mid 2000. The OL classic is from after a crash so it doesn't provide with the original join date. I know I was at least 16-17 and that would be 1999-2000 period and Voyager was still running and we hadn't really started to hear much from Enterprise.

I was 16 and in high school when I joined the OL in 2001. Now I'm I'm 32, married, and have a five week old baby.

Edited by forst

I recall that for a brief period I was actually among the youngest active members on The OL, but then even younger people began joining, wasn't one of our youngest only ten or something?

On 9/26/2017 at 8:10 AM, Askre said:

I still live.

I even got to reference the old days of Section 31 when somebody on a forum I helped run was saying our rules were unfair, we basically only have "respect others, don't post links to unauthorized materials" telling that person, dude, I've been on a forum with much, MUCH stricter rules, you don't even know how strict they were.

Anyway, I moved back to Iceland nine months ago and found a job almost immediatly, I always intended to become more active here again, but like all good plans they tended to peter out. Hopefully though with the new trek series, I'll remember more to come here again. :D

Speaking of rules, I just remembered some of the rules from the original OL on Section31.com. The server was severely underpowered, so thread lengths were capped, threads would get deleted from time to time, sigs were banned... I think there may have been other rules too, all in the name of preserving CPU cycles in serving up the board.

14 hours ago, forst said:

I was 16 and in high school when I joined the OL in 2001. Now I'm I'm 32, married, and have a five week old baby.

Congratulations!

Oh yeeeeeeah I remember those days.. back then the web hosting was terribly expensive for what little you got.  The original OL's problems was more database sizes and processor usage.  I remember chatting with Casey once and he told me he'd never seen a board with so much of the code hacked up and edited.  No wonder it was so unstable.  But all that was necessary to have the cool features we had at that time.  

Edited by Digitalfreak™
formatting