Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Helburn

Where is the TOS Engine Room?

4 posts in this topic

Trekyards brings up an interesting question, where is Main Engineering on the USS Enterprise? I've always imagined the Engine room should be in the Secondary Hull, and then he pulls out a set of Blueprints signed by Gene Roddenberry which throws that out the window! Thoughts?

I've gotta be honest. Watching a 26 minute video about the engineering section on the original Enterprise is just not something I'm up for these days.

Like you, I thought engineering was in the secondary hull, perhaps in front of the shuttle bay. It would make sense for it to be located near the pylons so it can connect to the nacelles.

I've always thought that the engine room was in the secondary hull, right behind the navigational deflector.  In the classic pictures, those conduits behind the fence/screen in the main room look like the conduits that go to the warp nacelle pylons.  

I watched just enough of it to see the original plans signed off by Roddenberry. I'm not going to argue with the original, but it hardly made sense. Just looking at the model, you'd assume that the nacelles were responsible for warp drive and the engine room was there to provide power to them. To have main engineering powering the impulse engines was just silly. The refit warp core was fairly obviously running horizontally through the secondary hull, but that isn't the TOS ship.