Sign in to follow this  
Helburn

The Expanse

Hey, has anyone else watched this series? 
Last year I watched the first episode without knowing what I was getting into and was pleasantly surprised! Some of the things in the show that pleased me was how much detail was put into the universe in relation to ship physics and with building a living breathing solar system. Ships don't magically start and stop in space, inertia is a real thing, when accelerating the crew has to strap into crash couches and take drugs to keep awake, and when they are almost at their destination they have to flip the ship around and accelerate in the opposite direction to stop the ship. The entire show takes place in the Solar system and there are Two major powers and a Third minor Power, Earth, Mars and the Belt. Earth acts like the Old Guard, it will do anything to keep things in line with their goals, even if that means destroying a protesting mining station to make a statement. Mars is a newer Power, having overthrown Earths rule, whole generations had been dedicated to terraforming Mars, but soon realized they needed to build a technologically superior Navy to keep Earth in check. The Belt is where all the water and materials from the Outer Planets get funneled into and then shipped out to Earth and Mars, there is growing unrest in the Belt due to the rationing of water, food, and increasing taxes from Earth and Mars.

After watching the first season I went out and bought the Book series, the show was very true to the book (with some changes to make it a TV Series), and I would recommend the book to anyone looking for a new Sci-Fi series to dig into.  

How about you? Have you watched The Expanse? What has been your experience?

I watched most of the first season, but the finale sat on my DVR for months before I decided that I must not be that into it. I would like to pick up the book series, though. I think the second season is either starting soon or is already under way, yes?

Yes, Second season started in January, it picks up right after the end of season one. 

I gave up on Syfy after Defiance, Continuum, and Haven ended. I'm not really sure why.