Sign in to follow this  
forst

2017 Movie Megathread

Once again, credit goes to io9 for the list and I've removed animated movies like The LEGO Batman Movie and Cars 3.

October
Friday the 13th (Oct. 13)
Geostorm (Oct. 20)
Insidious Chapter 4 (Oct. 20)
Untitled Cloverfield Movie (Oct. 27)
Saw: Legacy (Oct. 27)

November

Thor: Ragnarok (Nov. 3)
Justice League (Nov. 17)

December

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Dec. 15)
The Six Billion Dollar Man (Dec. 22)

Edited by forst

As much as I complain about sequels, I have to admit that when I see titles that aren't sequels or superhero titles, I don't know what they are, and I'm not immediately interested. That being said there are a ton of those titles that are sequels and remakes that I won't be seeing, and several that I will.

Most excited about Logan, the Justice League movies, Dark Tower, and Last Jedi.  I'm looking forward to seeing what else might be interesting.

It wasn't a 2017 film, but I just saw Arrival last week. I was at an out-of-town conference and it was playing at the theater across the street. I enjoyed it, though it wasn't the easiest thing to follow. At least it was an original concept. I considered seeing the Lego Batman movie, as it was playing a few blocks away, but I never made it there. I'll probably make the trek to the theaters to see Logan.

Not on the list, but I went and saw John Wick 2 at the beginning of the month. I quite enjoyed it, takes what they built on in the first movie and runs with it. Looking forward to seeing Logan sometime in the next week! 

So far this year I've seen Underworld: Blood Wars and Resident Evil: The Final Chapter. Both were exactly what I expected (fun). I definitely plan on seeing Logan this month and hopefully Kong: Skull Island if I can fit it in. That might have to wait until Netflix or Redbox, though.

Kong sorta flew under my radar! I only saw the first trailer and then totally forgot it was coming out. I'll probably end up going see it too. The trailers make it sound better than the last one! 

I was able to see Logan and Kong: Skull Island.

Logan wasn't terrible. It just wasn't great. The constant swearing honestly pulled me out of the story at times because it was so gratuitous. It's obvious Hugh Jackman just wanted to drop F-bombs as Wolverine. This isn't a movie that needed an R rating the way Deadpool did.

As for Kong: Skull Island, it was enjoyable. John C. Reilly was hilarious. Brie Larson was great. I think this is the first movie of hers I've seen. I'm not sure how it will fit into the "Monsterverse" started by the reboot Godzilla a few years ago. I'm intrigued enough to want to see how things unfold.

I liked Logan well enough. While the F-bombs weren't all necessary, I can see where some of them would come naturally to that character. Even without them, though, the violence of the film would have earned the R rating. Was the graphicness (is that a word?) of the violence necessary? That's questionable. What was more questionable for me was having such a young actress in some of those scenes. Maybe she wasn't. Maybe that was stunt work and CGI, but as a parent, I wouldn't want my kid even pretending to act out that level of violence.

Kong was fun. Incredibly stupid fun in places, but fun none the less. I laughed in places I'm not sure the creators intended. I saw the film in 2D, but it was very obviously filmed to be seen in 3D. As forst mentioned, John C. Reilly was hilarious. The film picked up measurably once he showed up. Brie Larson convinced me she'll make a great Captain Marvel. As far as the Universal Monster-verse, I'm told they're aiming for an eventual Kong vs. Godzilla. They definitely do create the opening for that, so to speak.

EDIT: There's a fairly excellent How It Should Have Ended for Logan available on YouTube.

Edited by Diesel Micky Dolenz

The violence was absurd at times to the point of crossing the line from horrifically graphic to hilariously unbelievable.

I remember wondering while watching the movie how many therapists were on hand to help Dafne Keen process the violence. I think she was 11 during filming. It's entirely possible she wasn't involved in some of the worst of the fight scenes, though. Now that I think about it, I wondered the same thing about Chloë Grace Moretz as Hit Girl in Kick-Ass back in 2010. I think she was 11 when that movie was filmed and she seems to have survived without deep psychological scars.

Looks like September is the month for remakes from 1990.  The last movie I saw in the theatre was Twilight New Moon. 

This post took all day.  Stupid work.

Edited by SweetOne

I can't imagine going that long without seeing a movie in the theater. I love going to the movies. I wish the theater five minutes from my house wasn't such a dump.

The next movie I'll be seeing in theaters will likely be Thor: Ragnarok. I'm not sure about Justice League. I'm definitely seeing the new Star Wars movie in theaters, too.

Not exactly a 2017 film, but I saw The Wrath of Khan in a theater last night. It holds up, and the experience reinforced my opinion that films are still best viewed on a gigantic screen with a sound system no home setup can match.

Trailers for Justice League and Star Wars: The Last Jedi were released recently:

Justice League looks awful. No plot, just explosions.

The trailer for Star Wars: The Last Jedi is confusing. I'm entirely spoiler-free, so I have no idea what the movie is about. The trailer doesn't do much to explain what's going on.

Edited by forst