Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
[ace]

Rogue One

5 posts in this topic

Just saw Rogue One.  I thought it was the best star wars movie I've seen since the original trilogy. It was the most similar to the original in  pacing, story, visuals, style, everything. And it wasn't full of fanboy nods and throwbacks, which was great because it makes itself its own story, and not some rehash of what they have already done. I thought it was excellent overall.:)

I think it was mostly terrible, but probably just what people who thought the last, oh, five movies or so were terrible wanted to see.

yes, i am one of those. :P it is exactly what i hope for in any newer movies after the original three, and i didn't really like any of the other newer films because they were such a departure from the original feel and style. i thought this one hit the nail on the head.

I preferred The Force Awakens, but enjoyed Rogue One. My only real problems were that it was a bit on the long side and the final gambit was overly complicated. Still, I thought it had the feel of a Star Wars film with a good mix of action and comedy. I appreciated the level of detail in matching locations from Episode IV. The CGI characters were a bit creepy, but I understand why they were included. It would be interesting to see what changes were made in the reshoots. If you go back and watch the first teaser/trailer, there's a good bit of footage and dialogue that don't appear in the finished product, and it isn't minor stuff.

I saw it this afternoon and thought it was really good. I will admit to being shocked that every single good guy died in the end. I did not see that coming. I caught most of the cameos and references to the other movies with the exception of some of the Rebel pilots during the final battle.

Apparently in the original script Jyn and Cassian survived but from what I've read that ending may not have been filmed. As DMD points out, many of the scenes in the teaser and first trailer weren't in the completed film. Presumably, once the ending was changed, quite a bit had to be reshot.

The CGI Tarkin wasn't terrible--it wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible. Something was off, though. The CGI Leia was awful, however.

My complaints are few. Saw Gerrera was over-the-top bad. I thought it unrealistic how Jyn became a pivotal leader in the Rebel Alliance. She was a source of information and then suddenly the Rebel leaders are asking for her opinion? Finally, when the ragtag band of Rebel fighters land on Scarif, an Imperial officer and some stormtroopers board their ship for an inspection. Jyn and Cassian walk out wearing Imperial uniforms. K-2 is with them. None of the other Imperials noticed that the people who came off the ship weren't the same people who boarded it?