Martok

Wandering

18 posts in this topic

Wandering through. I hope everyone is well. I don't see many on here...I'm actually having trouble remembering a lot of my time here, but I suppose that's because I was a mere 14 when I joined Section 31, and I just celebrated 30 years old last month. Wowee. 

One thing is for sure, I still love Star Trek. For those of us who have either spent that amount of time as a member on here or perhaps are just someone who grew up with Star Trek, how does it effect you in your life today? Your career? Your personal life?

Do you talk about it with friends? Do you have your "Star Trek discuss with only" friends? 

I don't know if I'm back, but I'd love to see if I can remember to stay around for a bit. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're always welcome! Trek doesn't really affect my day to day life, to be honest. There are a handful of people it might come up in conversation with if there's a new film in theaters, and there's generally something Trek-related on my Christmas list, but aside from checking in here from time to time (mostly to apply patches to the bboard software), it's not a daily thing.

It's not uncommon to see Forst drop by. Other names aren't completely absent, but it's been a long time since anyone has really had time to generate original content that might keep people visiting the site.

Still, don't be a stranger!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few of us old timers still post occasionally. I have really great memories of Section 31 and the original OL (I joined in July 2001) which is why I refuse to give up on this place.

I'm in the same boat as DMD. Star Trek doesn't play much of a role in my life. I've seen the recent movies, I occasionally read some of the novels, but I don't talk about it with anyone and haven't watched an episode in years. Sometimes it's hard to believe how little Star Trek means to me these days, considering its impact on my childhood and teenage years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite understandable. There is more to talk about when there is 2 shows going on at the same time, a movie recently released and more on the way. 

But to answer my own question, I started building Star Trek websites in high school and now it's my career. I did a few things prior to switching to that, but I like to point back to it as where I was inspired to take it up. I've got Star Trek toys on my desk at work and watch the movies and series' throughout the year, but it's role is really only foundational only. I have introduced my children to the Animated Series and TNG and they love it. Especially my 3 year old son and TAS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Martok said:

I have introduced my children to the Animated Series and TNG and they love it. Especially my 3 year old son and TAS. 

1

Good to see you're raising them right.

If you ever feel the need to overhaul another Star Trek website, I know one that could use a bit of work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Martok was 14...!  I always thought Helburn was the youngest one in our community (I mean, other than Lil Q, but y'know...).  That makes you six years younger than me, but that was probably a much bigger gap back then.  Remember TalShiarHQ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to one and all.

I got the latest Star Trek Hallmark ornament for Christmas. It's a gold "Pilot Version" U.S.S. Enterprise that plays a portion of the theme and William Shatner's famous narration. I bought my nephew a T-shirt that reads "When I grow up, I'm going to Starfleet Academy." And my dad got a few Star Trek novels. Oh, and I also got something called The Star Trek Book.

This may have been my family's Star Trek-iest Christmas in quite a few years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greetings, Martok. :wave:

On 2016-12-14 at 4:24 PM, Martok said:

...how does it effect you in your life today?

The short answer is that it doesn't. At all, really. I haven't seen the new movies, and don't intend to. No one I know is a fan, so I don't have anyone to talk to about it (and, anyway, there isn't much left to say).

I did re-watch a lot of DS9 last year (or was it the year before?), but I re-watched several old tv series at the time. :drunk-klingon:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/22/2016 at 7:12 PM, Waterloo said:

Martok was 14...!  I always thought Helburn was the youngest one in our community (I mean, other than Lil Q, but y'know...).  That makes you six years younger than me, but that was probably a much bigger gap back then.  Remember TalShiarHQ?

Indeed I was! I think Lil' Q and I were the next to the youngest, I believe someone else was 2 years younger than I.

Yes, I do remember it! As a web developer, I sometimes bring up the graphics I created for it to show how far I've come, haha! I wish I'd left it running, but I feel it would have been slower or even dead, by now, if making the comparison of this place.

On 1/1/2017 at 1:28 PM, Dahar Master Kor said:

Greetings, Martok. :wave:

The short answer is that it doesn't. At all, really. I haven't seen the new movies, and don't intend to. No one I know is a fan, so I don't have anyone to talk to about it (and, anyway, there isn't much left to say).

I did re-watch a lot of DS9 last year (or was it the year before?), but I re-watched several old tv series at the time. :drunk-klingon:

Haha, I understand! It's pretty interesting to see how we grow up and what constitutes to stick with us or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2016 at 10:50 AM, forst said:

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to one and all.

I got the latest Star Trek Hallmark ornament for Christmas. It's a gold "Pilot Version" U.S.S. Enterprise that plays a portion of the theme and William Shatner's famous narration. I bought my nephew a T-shirt that reads "When I grow up, I'm going to Starfleet Academy." And my dad got a few Star Trek novels. Oh, and I also got something called The Star Trek Book.

This may have been my family's Star Trek-iest Christmas in quite a few years.

 

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year indeed. It was a more Trek-related holiday than I had expected. I got the Roddenberry Vault, which I haven't yet had the time to view, but am looking forward to. I also go this beast...

https://www.megabloks.com/en-us/shop/construction-toys/star-trek/uss-enterprise-ncc-1701-dph83

I added it to my wish list never imagining that I'd get it, yet it appeared under the tree. No idea when I'll find the time to start building, but I'm very pleased.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Back in the 90's, I lived and breathed Star Trek. Now, it's barely a blip on my radar. I still buy all the novels, but I tend to save them up and binge read a bunch every three or four years. At that time I'll get nostalgic for the good old days. Once in a great while I'll get the DVD's out an watch through and entire series over the course of a month, but other than that, I don't devote too much time to Trek. I don't bother to go see the new films at the theater, preferring to wait until they hit home video. There really is no one to talk to about Trek in my day-to-day life, so it just drifts along as part of my life that is more in the background these days.

Edited by Shadow
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do the same thing with the novels. I just started reading the first of five DS9 novels published between 2014 and 2016. My dad buys all theTOS and TNG novel so once I'm done catching up on DS9, I may borrow a stack of those next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i started a religion based on star trek. at first it was just as a tax shelter, but memberships grew like crazy. the wednesday night klingon choir is something to see. don't forget to bring your earplugs! the friday night ferengi bazaar is a hoot. don't eat the food. the congregation always says "make it so" after hearing an impassioned speech by one of our 'starship captains.' the kids go to starday school academy. if they play hooky we zap them with a phaser! don' worry, it's only set to stun. that just means we taser them. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's the name of this Star Trek religion? Inquiring minds want to know.

(My guess it The Church of the Great Bird of the Galaxy.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

nice, i didn't know about that interesting bit of trivia until now. thanks forst. i think the great bird of the galaxy should be the supreme icon of the religion (i'll let everyone know). :D  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since this is the general Star Trek thread, I guess I'll mention here that I've started trying to catch up on my Trek reading. So far in 2017 I've managed to get through nine Star Trek novels. I'm now caught up on DS9 novels, except for the one that came out this month. I'm still way behind on TOS and TNG. I also reread Star Trek: Starfleet Year One and Star Trek: Starfleet Academy for some reason.

I have another six novels in my To Read pile but the most recent Trek novel I read was so boring I'm taking a little break.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2017 at 9:59 PM, forst said:

Since this is the general Star Trek thread, I guess I'll mention here that I've started trying to catch up on my Trek reading. So far in 2017 I've managed to get through nine Star Trek novels. I'm now caught up on DS9 novels, except for the one that came out this month. I'm still way behind on TOS and TNG. I also reread Star Trek: Starfleet Year One and Star Trek: Starfleet Academy for some reason.

I have another six novels in my To Read pile but the most recent Trek novel I read was so boring I'm taking a little break.

Man, I need to head down to Half-Price books and load up on some books. I could use with some new adventure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now