Shadow

Star Trek: Discovery

I have a vague memory of reading an interview in which a producer promised that even though Discovery has the freedom to feature nudity/sex and crude language because it's on CBS All Access, it won't. If that's true, I suppose we're left with graphic violence. DS9 pushed the envelope with violence (at least one episode had to be edited due to graphic violence; I think it was "To the Arms") so I suppose it's not won't be too surprising if Discovery ends up with bloody battles.

DMD raises a good point about CBS airing the premiere. If the CBS All Access version is TV-MA, it will have to be edited for network television.

Bloody battles don't bother me as much as the nudity/language/sex.  Star Trek has never been like the newer scifi shows like the assorted ones that's on SyFy.  I've always considered Star Trek child safe so when you have this show adding this content, it changes that.  You can still have a great show without having to rely on language/nudity/sex.  Unfortunately, it appears that talent is practically lost now in Hollywood.

As far as network television goes, there's a lot of stuff out there with the TV-MA that's still making it over to the networks.  They'll just schedule Discovery at a later time.  

I suppose we'll have to wait and see what the content of the show is like.

But the premiere is scheduled for 8:30PM ET on CBS. The FCC's "safe harbor", which allows more freedom for the networks, starts at 10PM ET.

Interesting.  The premier will be the only episode of Discovery I'll watch.  I still refuse to subscribe to another streaming service to watch it.  And honestly, on top of the blatant disregard for canon, that is the primary sticking point to me. 

I'm in the same boat. I'll watch the premiere on CBS. Actually, I'll record it on my DVR and watch it later. But that's it.

If Discovery aired on Netflix (like it will everywhere except the United States and Canada, I believe), I'd probably watch it. I already subscribe to Netflix and Amazon Prime. I won't pay $5.99 to watch a dozen or so episodes of a TV show I'm not that interested in AND have to watch commercials.

It used to bother me that I won't be watching Discovery. It doesn't anymore.

We're just two days away from the premiere of Discovery. I'm seeing more and more promotional spots and coverage in the media. Personally, I'm still not all that interested in the series but I'm very curious to discover (pun intended) how many viewers tune in this Sunday. We'll never know how many watch the series on CBS All Access.

The reaction I've seen on Twitter from people who saw the premiere was positive, mostly from cast members of past incarnations of Trek. Take that for what it's worth. The fact that they have a gag order on any reviews until the 25th still does not fill me with confidence. I will watch with an open mind. That's as much as I can promise.

Well even tho I've been dreading the premier of Star Trek: Discovery, and being a loud and vocal critic of it.. I gotta say I was pleasantly surprised.

I had the same feelings about the last Star Trek movie that came out, Star Trek: Beyond.

Overall, Discovery's production values were top notch. This felt more like watching a movie than a television series. I love the cast selections, and the characters are okay even tho I'm just two episodes in. There was one glaring issue they did with the show's main character, Michael Burnham, that I did not agree with at all. I'm not going to post spoilers here, but if you're a Trek fan you'll know it when you see it...

And the Klingons.. why did they have to turn the Klingons into something that looks more like reptiles...?

I still haven't decided if I'm going to subscribe to CBS All Access to continue watching this thing. I got 7 free days, and I'll watch this thing a few more times before I decide. But overall I was pleasantly surprised.

Edited by Digitalfreak™

So after all the build-up, I forgot to set my DVR. No idea when I'll get to see it. Maybe I'll wait a few weeks and get the free week of CBS All Access and see several episodes at once.

17 hours ago, Waterloo said:

I loved it. I loved the Klingons, loved Burnham. 

I liked the Klingon dialogue, and the story was interesting.  I just can't get over the makeup change.  

I liked it overall. I tried to describe it to my friend as Star Trek meets Battlestar Galactica, with a sprinkling of Game of Thrones storytelling and some inspiration from JJ'verse on the aesthetic.  Though I'm a fan of all of the above, so take that for what it's worth. :D
The first 30 min of the first episode reminded me the most of the old trek, and the idea of Exploring the unknown and the majesty of space, I really liked it. 

My main point of pain through watching the episodes was how painful all the Klingon scenes were for me (Talking so.. Slow, and their voices sound obviously like they're wearing prosthetic teeth) Not to mention the retcons on the designs of their ships and uniforms (Really, how are we supposed to go from THIS to something resembling their ships in TOS in 10 years?)

Overall though: I'm eagerly awaiting the next episode next week!

1 hour ago, Helburn said:

My main point of pain through watching the episodes was how painful all the Klingon scenes were for me (Talking so.. Slow, and their voices sound obviously like they're wearing prosthetic teeth) Not to mention the retcons on the designs of their ships and uniforms (Really, how are we supposed to go from THIS to something resembling their ships in TOS in 10 years?)

I recorded the premiere and watched it this morning. It was flashy and bright and there were a lot of weird camera angles. None of which I enjoyed. Much of the dialogue felt like exposition, which I suppose can be forgiven.

I agree that the Klingons were awful.

I'll share more thoughts tomorrow.

Well trek is back on TV, about time I would say.

I can't really complain much really about it so far. Two episodes is really just an introduction to the characters, so I have yet to properly form a solid opinon on them.

I didn't actually mind the klingong redesign personally, they have been evolving in looks ever since the original series, my only real complaint is that they aren't as animated in movements and that's probably the fault of the costumes.

But so far I've liked what I seen and I'll wait with any further judgement until more episodes are out.

Announcement: I've created a Star Trek: Discovery Season 1 Discussion thread for those of you watching the entire season who want to talk about it with unmarked spoilers.

I only watched the series premiere, not the second episode. The premiere felt like the first half of a two-parter, which it may have been. The cliffhanger ending bugged me. Clearly, CBS cares only about driving subscribers to CBS All Access and not about presenting a complete story to entice potential viewers. I never planned on subscribing to CBS All Access and the first episode did nothing to change my mind.

The theme song and the opening credits are underwhelming. If the producers wanted a theme that doesn't sound anything like Star Trek, they did a great job. It's bland. It doesn't have the excitement of the TNG theme, the mood of the DS9 theme, or the feeling of the VOY theme. It just doesn't work for me. The credits themselves aren't terrible. But they are a little too cartoony for me. The sketches/blueprints remind of a small portion of the ENT credits sequence.

Here are the opening credits, if you haven't seen theme:

Perhaps the biggest problem for me, aside from the lens flare/camera angles and the Klingons, were the characters. Aside from Burnham, Captain Georgiou, and Saru, they were all unremarkable.

Burnham running off the bridge to contact Sarek was absurd, as was her decision to knock out Captain Georgiou and mutiny.

Edited by forst

Yeah, the opening sequence just doesn't make sense for what the supposed purpose of this show.  If it's about Discovery, exploring, then I would think something like TOS/TNG/Voyager would be better.  The song is.. okay.  I liked how they tried to mix in segments of old Trek music.

I liked Captain Georgiou and Saru.  Georgiou reminds me of a 23rd century Picard.  

I liked Michael until the mutiny part.  Then it just falls apart for me.  

Question for those who are watching Season 1: Has the show toned down the lens flare and odd camera angles that annoyed me so much during the series premiere on CBS?

I honestly can't say, because I didn't really notice any odd camera angels and that much lensflare in the premiere, I tend not to pay much heed to things like that. I've personally had no problems with the visuals, sorry I can't be of more help.

Not a surprise at all. There is literally no way CBS could possibly cancel the series after one season. It has too much riding on CBS All Access. Cancelling Discovery would basically be giving up on the streaming service.