Shadow

Star Trek: Discovery

forst   

I don't know about anyone else, but I haven't thought about Discovery once since the last time I posted in this thread. I almost can't believe how little I care about a new Star Trek series. It's weird to remember the hype surrounding Enterprise back in 2001--here at the OL and elsewhere--and compare it to the utter lack of buzz for Discovery.

To be fair, the Internet has undergone massive changes since 2001. Although I haven't been looking, it's possible there is a lot of talk about Discovery on social media. Forums like this aren't where the general public or casual Star Trek fans are going to go. They'll post something on Facebook or Twitter (or Snapchat or Instagram or whatever). Just because I'm not seeing chatter doesn't mean there isn't chatter.

But at the same time, I feel like there isn't much excitement for Discovery outside of the hardcore fan community (TrekBBS, TrekMovie, TrekCore, and the like).

EDIT: Just came across a Collider article with some vague quotes from executive producer Alex Kurtzman. They're shooting Episode 5 right now.

Edited by forst

Same here I really don't have any feelings for it at all.  There's a ton of social media groups for Discovery, but a lot of them are really pro Discovery or anti Discovery.  And they kick you out in a heartbeat.  

12 hours ago, forst said:

Splitting the season is a terrible idea.

It is, but it's probably a mix of being the only way to get the series on air before December and an attempt to get people to subscribe for more than one month of binging the series.

And from this article: http://trekcore.com/blog/2017/06/producers-divulge-star-trek-discovery-delay-details/ (which itself quotes from an article on Entertainment Weekly), we have yet to really see the look of the show going forward. The bridge of the Discovery is not the bridge of the much older Shinzou. So does that mean we'll be getting the Apple Store interior for Discovery? I have no idea. But for whatever reason, TPTB have chosen not to show us what we'll be seeing past the initial episode. More at the link regarding production delays.

And now EW has a pic of Jason Isaacs as Captain Gabriel Lorca, along with a glimpse of the Discovery's bridge. It's not much, but enough to see that the look is a bit different than the Shinzou. No sparing the lens flares in either case, unfortunately.

There's a larger pic at the EW link.

forst   

I think the best thing for me to do is tune out the promotional push completely, watch the series premiere on CBS in September, and decide whether to subscribe to CBS All Access. Trailers, pictures, and interviews won't tell me whether I'll enjoy the show. Watching the premiere is going to tell me. I hope.

The more we see, the less I like the look of Discovery, from the uniforms to the sets to the ships.

I can't help but feel bitter about how little I care. I want to be excited about new Star Trek. But the botched pre-production/production and lengthy delays sucked all the excitement out of the show. And we still have no idea what it's ABOUT other than a vague premise. I suppose we didn't know much about Enterprise other than it being set before TOS...

Edited by forst

On 6/22/2017 at 8:40 AM, forst said:

I think the best thing for me to do is tune out the promotional push completely, watch the series premiere on CBS in September, and decide whether to subscribe to CBS All Access. Trailers, pictures, and interviews won't tell me whether I'll enjoy the show. Watching the premiere is going to tell me. I hope.

Understandable. I'll still be posting stuff as it comes out, regardless. For better or for worse. Case in point, we now have a view of the Shenzhou's transporter room:

Which makes absolutely no sense. Why completely redesign the look of transporter tech? I get that this is older tech and the transporter room aboard the Discovery will look different, but we've seen much older tech and it still looks more like a traditional Trek transporter than this. At least the phasers look TOS-like.

forst   
On 6/23/2017 at 9:07 AM, Diesel Micky Dolenz said:

Understandable. I'll still be posting stuff as it comes out, regardless. For better or for worse.

I'll still be checking in here. I just don't plan on going out of my way to seek out Discovery information.

On 6/23/2017 at 9:07 AM, Diesel Micky Dolenz said:

Which makes absolutely no sense. Why completely redesign the look of transporter tech? I get that this is older tech and the transporter room aboard the Discovery will look different, but we've seen much older tech and it still looks more like a traditional Trek transporter than this. At least the phasers look TOS-like.

Agreed. Unless this an alien spaceship or some sort of crazy Starfleet prototype, it looks all wrong. Just another reason to lower expectations, I suppose.

Looks to me like they're about to have a dance off in front of two really big speakers.

I've been one of the most vocal outspoken critics of Discovery.  I do not have a problem with the cast, characters, production values, or even the uniforms to a degree.  My main complaint and the breaking point for me is the time period.  What is the bloody point of setting this series in the TOS era, even if it is 10 years before.  This whole "re-imagining," "rebooting," and even revisionist history must stop.  The American Civil War was over 150 years ago, but if you made a movie about it, you would not use modern uniforms, weapons, or even have the troops driving tanks and flying jets.  You would use period specific uniforms and weapons for authenticity.  Fans like me feel the same for Trek prequels and reboots, authenticity makes for a more believable adventure, that's all.  As much as the Abrams movies did reboot, they did at least keep some elements of TOS there, and established it's an alternative universe.  

The Trek universe is big enough for more original stories in different time periods.  As I've said before, just start fresh in the 25th century and keep going.

So we got a look at DSC's idea of a communicator, hand phaser and , I think, phaser rifle.

The phaser reminds me of the TOS laser pistol, images of which you can see here.

Also, the explanation for redesigning the Klingons is that Klingons of different houses look different. It seems unnecessary to me to do a redesign at all, but there you go. Does it mean we'll see classic TOS, TOS film or TNG era Klingons at some point? Who knows.

Edited by Diesel Micky Dolenz

I'm fairly pleased with the look of the Starfleet tech in DSC. As Df said, it's closer to what should have been used in the Kelvin-timeline films. I really like what they've done with the communicator, merging the original look with more advanced tech.

Here's a look at some of what was displayed in the DSC area at San Deigo Comicon, including Klingon armor, a couple Klingon ships, Starfleet uniforms, another look at Starfleet tech, and Harry Mudd's costume.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/these-discovery-props-reveal-a-ton-about-star-treks-new-1797102750

And a few more props here, including Klingon weapons: http://trekmovie.com/2017/07/20/sdcc17-star-trek-discovery-klingon-costumes-and-props/

Edited by Diesel Micky Dolenz

I don't think there is a reason for such a radical style change in the 10 years between DSC and TOS.  

Example: DS9 Season 6 and VOY season 4 both take place 10 years after TNG Season 1.
So, sure, style changes naturally over time.. but not radically so. I mean, the uniforms are changed up a bit. The LCARS has a different color scheme. The computer noises are different. There are new models of phasers and tricorders but there are no radical changes here. The Bridge of the Defiant, the Enterprise, and Voyager are pretty similar.  There's only different layouts in regards to the command area, science/tactical/ops, etc.  The style and the LCARS interfaces pretty much remain the same.

This style choice becomes even more problematic, because we TOS episodes ("The Cage" and "The Menagerie") that shows what things look like in 2254.. 1 year before Discovery. We've got similar uniforms here, and minor bridge changes to the Enterprise, which is one of Starfleet's most advanced starships. It looks nothing like Discovery at all.  Now, it can be said that the Enterprise is already 10 years old during the events of "The Cage" and that's why the Discovery looks more modern.  According to canon, the 1701 was built in 2245.  If that's the case, why does the Discovery still look more modern than the 1701 refit, the Excelsior, 1701-A and honestly all the way up to the 1701-D?
I'm okay with style changes, but it bothers me that they set this show in a time period we already know about. Their disregard for existing Trek canon makes me think they're just going to discard elements of Trek that they don't like and they won't be concerned about contradicting things which are already established.

Utilizing the established canon is the ONLY reason you'd want to set something in the existing Star Trek universe, so regardless of what TPTB say, this might as well be a alternate reality, or a reboot, or whatever, because it doesn't mesh with the original continuity at all.

forst   
On 7/23/2017 at 6:31 PM, Digitalfreak™ said:

Utilizing the established canon is the ONLY reason you'd want to set something in the existing Star Trek universe, so regardless of what TPTB say, this might as well be a alternate reality, or a reboot, or whatever, because it doesn't mesh with the original continuity at all.

Agreed 100%.

I broke my rule about not seeking out information about Discovery when I learned about the latest trailer:

The voiceover at the beginning is painful. "All life is born from chaos. The world doesn't always adhere to logic. Sometimes down is up. And sometimes when you're lost, you're found."

Yikes.

Also, we get our first look at Harry Mudd.

It's very clear to me that this is the television version of the Abramsverse/Kelvin Timeline movies. Claim to be working within canon to appease fans, then do whatever the heck you want. I just wish CBS would admit this is a reboot or reimagining or reinterpretation or whatever. Want to reboot Star Trek? Fine. Be my guest. But don't try to have it both ways by saying Discovery fits within the "prime" universe when it doesn't.

Edited by forst

I haven't seen that trailer, and don't really plan to.  I have no intention of watching this series except the pilot since it'll be on CBS.  I'm still not paying for a streaming service to watch this thing.

If they had said from the beginning that this is in Abramsverse, I'd be totally 180 degrees different in my opinions about this thing.  I don't have the attachment to Abramsverse as I do Prime, so I don't really care what they do to it.  It's like a big "what if" scenario in that whole universe.

So, the events in "The Cage" take place right before the events in Discovery.  So, since "The Cage" is canon, they have the gold/blue tunics.  Now, comes Discovery with these uniforms.  Then comes "Where No Man Has Gone Before," and they're back to gold/blue tunics?  Then afterword, the red ones are added?  Doesn't add up.

Also, The USS Enterprise *is* in service during Discovery.  Pike is still captain, Spock is still science officer.  James T. Kirk is a Lieutenant on the USS Farragut.  In fact, the events in Discovery are very close to Kirk's encounter with the cloud entity seen in TOS episode "Obsession."

Now, look at the uniforms in Star Trek (2009) especially the ones on the USS Kelvin.  These on Discovery looks more like a normal progression to those.  They even tie in with the landing party uniform Kirk wore in Beyond.  

forst   

I've seen a few short promotional spots on CBS for Discovery. They only mention CBS All Access and don't let viewers know the series premiere will air on CBS.

I've seen that. I guess they're trying to drive up subscribers to All Access more so than hype Discovery, but it's a ****** way to plug the premiere.

Also, there's this (via Trek Today):

Jason Isaacs, who plays Captain Lorca in Star Trek: Discovery, had some words for die-hard Star Trek fans.

The actor explained that this Star Trek will be different from previous incarnations. “It’s Star Trek, but not as we know it,” he said. “There are places obviously where they’ve observed canon to do with things like uniforms and badges and stuff, but there are places where the rules of storytelling are reinvented.”

Fans will have to get used to the changes. “I don’t mean to sound irreverent when I say I don’t care about the die-hard Trek fans,” said Isaacs. “I only ‘don’t care’ about them in the sense that I know they’re all going to watch anyway. I look forward to having the fun of them being outraged, so they can sit up all night and talk about it with each other.”

Star Trek: Discovery will tell stories relevant to conditions in society today. “I don’t know how to explain the anarchy and chaos,” he said, “One of the things I can do as a storyteller is be part of stories that hold up a vision for the future where we just do better.”

If truth be told, classic Trek did the same thing, touching upon issues of the day including war, prejudice and more.

Source: New York Daily News

I know every new crew has to give their "we do stuff differently and you'll just have to deal with it" spiel at one time or another, but it gets old. You're on a paid, streaming service. I'm not going to automatically watch or give it a chance beyond the premiere. Don't go out of your way to piss me off.I'm not thrilled as it is.

forst   

Curiously, I just saw a tweet from the official Discovery Twitter account with a new promo video marked TV-MA. No idea if that's for violence, language, dialogue, nudity, adult situations, some combination of the previous, or something else entirely.

According to tvguidelines.org, TV-MA has the following description:

This program is specifically designed to be viewed by adults and therefore may be unsuitable for children under 17. This program may contain one or more of the following: crude indecent language (L), explicit sexual activity (S), or graphic violence (V).

Trek shouldn't require any of those, and I'm not sure how they're going to show the premiere on CBS if it has a TV-MA rating. Maybe the broadcast version will be edited and the online version will be uncensored?