Shadow

Star Trek: Discovery

86 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I don't know about anyone else, but I haven't thought about Discovery once since the last time I posted in this thread. I almost can't believe how little I care about a new Star Trek series. It's weird to remember the hype surrounding Enterprise back in 2001--here at the OL and elsewhere--and compare it to the utter lack of buzz for Discovery.

To be fair, the Internet has undergone massive changes since 2001. Although I haven't been looking, it's possible there is a lot of talk about Discovery on social media. Forums like this aren't where the general public or casual Star Trek fans are going to go. They'll post something on Facebook or Twitter (or Snapchat or Instagram or whatever). Just because I'm not seeing chatter doesn't mean there isn't chatter.

But at the same time, I feel like there isn't much excitement for Discovery outside of the hardcore fan community (TrekBBS, TrekMovie, TrekCore, and the like).

EDIT: Just came across a Collider article with some vague quotes from executive producer Alex Kurtzman. They're shooting Episode 5 right now.

Edited by forst

Same here I really don't have any feelings for it at all.  There's a ton of social media groups for Discovery, but a lot of them are really pro Discovery or anti Discovery.  And they kick you out in a heartbeat.  

12 hours ago, forst said:

Splitting the season is a terrible idea.

It is, but it's probably a mix of being the only way to get the series on air before December and an attempt to get people to subscribe for more than one month of binging the series.

And from this article: http://trekcore.com/blog/2017/06/producers-divulge-star-trek-discovery-delay-details/ (which itself quotes from an article on Entertainment Weekly), we have yet to really see the look of the show going forward. The bridge of the Discovery is not the bridge of the much older Shinzou. So does that mean we'll be getting the Apple Store interior for Discovery? I have no idea. But for whatever reason, TPTB have chosen not to show us what we'll be seeing past the initial episode. More at the link regarding production delays.

And now EW has a pic of Jason Isaacs as Captain Gabriel Lorca, along with a glimpse of the Discovery's bridge. It's not much, but enough to see that the look is a bit different than the Shinzou. No sparing the lens flares in either case, unfortunately.

There's a larger pic at the EW link.

I think the best thing for me to do is tune out the promotional push completely, watch the series premiere on CBS in September, and decide whether to subscribe to CBS All Access. Trailers, pictures, and interviews won't tell me whether I'll enjoy the show. Watching the premiere is going to tell me. I hope.

The more we see, the less I like the look of Discovery, from the uniforms to the sets to the ships.

I can't help but feel bitter about how little I care. I want to be excited about new Star Trek. But the botched pre-production/production and lengthy delays sucked all the excitement out of the show. And we still have no idea what it's ABOUT other than a vague premise. I suppose we didn't know much about Enterprise other than it being set before TOS...

Edited by forst

On 6/22/2017 at 8:40 AM, forst said:

I think the best thing for me to do is tune out the promotional push completely, watch the series premiere on CBS in September, and decide whether to subscribe to CBS All Access. Trailers, pictures, and interviews won't tell me whether I'll enjoy the show. Watching the premiere is going to tell me. I hope.

Understandable. I'll still be posting stuff as it comes out, regardless. For better or for worse. Case in point, we now have a view of the Shenzhou's transporter room:

Which makes absolutely no sense. Why completely redesign the look of transporter tech? I get that this is older tech and the transporter room aboard the Discovery will look different, but we've seen much older tech and it still looks more like a traditional Trek transporter than this. At least the phasers look TOS-like.