Shadow

Star Trek: Discovery

Nothing against Rainn Wilson, but I really hope this is in a guest spot. It makes zero sense to have Harry Mudd be a part of an ongoing Federation-based series.

So our main character now has a new name. Sonequa Martin-Green will no longer be playing Lieutenant Commander Rainsford, but "First Officer Michael Burnham." I assume she's still a Lieutenant Commander. There's been no indication of whether Michael is considered gender-neutral in the future or if there's some other significance behind a female actor with a male character name. Nor any actual indication of why the character's name was changed.

Edited by Diesel Micky Dolenz

TrekMovie has a report suggesting Discovery may not premiere late summer/early fall as expected based on earlier comments from CBS.

I don't know why I keep checking TrekMovie and TrekCore for Discovery updates. The show will get here when it gets here. Once the first images and trailers are released, I'm sure I'll find out.

I'm wondering what they'll have for SDCC this year.  I'm really hoping an rumor saying they're updating the ship design comes to pass.  I'm not sold on the current look.  There's a reason the old Ralph McQuarrie design wasn't chosen for Phase 2/TMP.  It's ugly.

I went to Pensacon in Pensacola, Florida and went to a Trek panel with Leslie Owen, who is a huge Axanar supporter and literary agent/writer, and she said that CBS had basically fired the entire art department.  She also implied that there was a lot of chaos going on behind the scenes.  

Interview with her:  https://fanslashfic.com/2017/03/30/fanfiction-writer-and-literary-agent-leslie-e-owen-on-star-trek-reboots-and-how-to-write-great-characters/

I don't think anyone outside CBS and the other production companies involved have any clue what's really going on with Discovery.

That's probably true. I know that there are production people on twitter that have given updated from the set following completing of some of the episodes, but it's been a while since I've seen even those. And if the writers end up going on strike, it'll probably be 2018 before we see anything.

Somebody call Ronald D. Moore

A few more actors have been announced for the series, and Moonves this week described Discovery as being on tap this fall. That's more optimistic than what we've been hearing. I'll still wait to see it before I believe it.

Definitely will be interesting.  Hate to say it tho, but I've never been so "un optimistic" about a Trek show as I am with this one.  I guess it's the TOS purist in me.  But I do hope I'm proven wrong.

I hear you, though it's not because of my admitted TOS purism. It's more because CBS has simply sucked the enthusiasm out of me with all the delays and behind-the-scenes turmoil. I really was looking forward to it when it was first announced, considering the names that were attached. Then came the fact that it would only be streaming, the delays, Brian Fuller's "stepping back" turned out to be a complete disassociation from the project, more delays, etc.

Here we are, months past the expected premiere when it was announced, and all we have is a time period, a cast list with extremely vague character descriptions, and the most fleeting of glimpses from the set. Principle photography for several episodes has to be in the can by now. Post production has to be far enough along to at least produce a decent trailer (Thor: Ragnarok doesn't get released until November, but we got a full trailer for that in April!), but no. Nearly radio silence. So I've gone from excited to meh. 

So I'd heard we'd finally get our first official look at the new series today. It was true.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/05/17/star-trek-discovery-cast-photo/?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

A single still photograph. The shot was taken on location in Jordan, according to the article and shows Michelle Yeoh as Captain Philippa Georgiou and Sonequa Martin-Green as First Officer Michael Burnham. They're not in uniform, and the only hint that the shot comes from a Trek series is the possibility of an old-school communicator and tricorder in Martin-Green's possession. Beyond that, there's zero context given for what we've been shown. So, yeah, whoopee.

So there was more to come today at the CBS upfronts. The series order has been increased from 13 to 15 episodes. Also, there was a clip or trailer of some sort shown:

I can only assume the trailer will be released at some point. Comments on twitter indicate that the clips shown look "gorgeous" and "slick." CBS seems to have spared no expense in the production values of the bits shown at upfronts, anyway.

Edited by Diesel Micky Dolenz

Sigh. I really hoped the trailer would blow me away. I want to be excited for Discovery. I do. But it didn't feel like Star Trek. Honestly, it was pretty bad. The uniforms are ridiculous, the Klingons look amateurish, the ship(s) are bland...

Worst of all, the trailer does a horrendous job of explaining the characters or the premise of the series.

A big disappointment, in my opinion.

I wasn't blown away, but I didn't think it was terrible. The uniforms look like a cross between Enterprise and the JJ-verse's USS Franklin, which, meh. I agree that the Klingons look ridiculous and we still have no idea what the series is about. I do hope the acting come across as less wooden when seen in context. It didn't get my hopes up, but it doesn't fill me with dread. 

Oh where to begin...?

I'll probably come across as someone who is anti Trek, not a real Trek fan... blahblah... so I have been called in some Trek/Discovery facebook groups.  So be it.

The production value is top notch.  Everything looks great, crisp and actually futuristic.  

My main complaint about this thing from the time they announced it is in "prime universe" and "10 years before Kirk and Spock" I knew this was going to be bad.  Very bad.  Looks like my fears have been realized.  As I've said, why is it SOOOOO necessary to place ANOTHER series in the mid 23rd century?  Why not just leave that period alone, let the movies continue what they're doing and move on.  

I remember saying this back in the Enterprise days, and eventually Enterprise did grow on me, but Discovery is just another attempt by TPTB to completely erase TOS as canon and replace it with something else.  

To me, Discovery is NOT a TOS prequel, rather an Enterprise sequel.  They might as well call this show "Star Trek Enterprise: The Next Generation."

The uniforms, ship design, bridge layout and construction, all point to a natural progression of ~100 years after Enterprise.  I would almost think this show IS in the Abramsverse.

I'm still undecided as to whether or not to watch and support this show.  

But if they had only set this series after Nemesis or 25th century, I'd be totally on board with it.  

On 5/21/2017 at 10:34 PM, Digitalfreak™ said:

The uniforms, ship design, bridge layout and construction, all point to a natural progression of ~100 years after Enterprise.  I would almost think this show IS in the Abramsverse.

I completely agree. Somewhere, a critic or maybe just a random person in the comments suggested CBS hopes to draw in general sci-fi fans who enjoy the Abramsverse movies but aren't Star Trek fans. So, they used a similiar "look" for Discovery, to let potential viewers know they'll like Discovery if they liked the recent Star Trek movies.

It makes sense, I guess. I wonder if CBS is playing with fire, though. They'll need hardcore Trekkers in the United States to subscribe to CBS All Access--and hardcore Trekkers are the ones who might refuse to watch because they don't like the way the uniforms or the ship or the bridge or the lens flare.

It's a little early to make up my mind. We have only seen a single trailer. I'll definitely watch the pilot on CBS but it will have to truly blow me away to convince me to subscribe.

That's where I'm at.. I really want to give it a chance but my love for history/canon is getting in the way.  But yea, the way the Trek fandom works is the hardcore Trekkers are the cake, but the people who never watched classic Trek (TOS/TNG/DS9/VOY) are the icing.  

I'll watch the pilot for free on All Access, but it better be pretty damn good to convince me to pay a monthly fee to watch 14 other episodes.