Shadow

Star Trek: Discovery

87 posts in this topic

The show has been delayed again, maybe. CBS is saying it may be flexible. From Variety:

Star Trek: Discovery” will likely miss its previously announced May premiere target, Variety has learned. The series has also cast James Frain as Spock’s father.

CBS released a statement regarding the potential delay:

“Production on ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ begins next week. We love the cast, the scripts and are excited about the world the producers have created.  This is an ambitious project; we will be flexible on a launch date if it’s best for the show.  We’ve said from the beginning it’s more important to do this right than to do it fast. There is also added flexibility presenting on CBS All Access, which isn’t beholden to seasonal premieres or launch windows.”

Also mentioned above, James Frain will play Sarek.

I'm not holding my breath. People keep getting cast, so I guess it's still going to get made, but I just have no expectations at this point.

It's a fleeting glimpse of elements from the new series, but it does appear as though this thing is finally filming.

It's something but not enough to get excited about.

I read somewhere (TrekBBS?) that the music was commissioned specifically for CBS promotional efforts and isn't actually the DSC theme.

From TrekToday

Three new actors who will be taking roles in Star Trek Discovery were announced by CBS today.

The actors include Terry Serpico, Maulik Pancholy, and Sam Vartholomeos.

Serpico (Army Wives) will take on the role of Admiral Anderson, a “high-ranking official of Starfleet.”

Pancholy (30 Rock) is headed for the Sickbay as Dr. Nambue, the Chief Medical Officer of the Starship Shenzhou, which is Captain Georgiou’s (Michelle Yeoh) ship.

Vartholomeos (The Secret Life of Walter Mitty) will portray Ensign Connor, a junior officer assigned to the Shenzhou.

This was news several days ago, but it still seems like it shouldn't go unmentioned. And to be clear, I'm the one late to posting it, not TrekToday.

Edited by Diesel Micky Dolenz

Some people are freaking out about the appearance of the Klingons.  But we Trekkers seem to freak about everything these days...

If you're talking about that behind-the-scenes picture an extra shared on social media, has it been confirmed the aliens in question are Klingon? Or is it just speculation?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the extra thought the image looked like Klingons, so he reported that they were Klingons. There's been no official verification to my knowledge.

And Discovery now has a premiere... well, not date, exactly. Premiere quarter?

http://tvline.com/2017/02/27/star-trek-discovery-premiere-date-cbs-all-access-les-moonves/

The new Trek TV series heading for CBS All Access is expected to launch “sometime [in] late summer, early fall,” CBS chairman Les Moonves told investors today at a Morgan Stanley media conference, according to Deadline.

Yep. It was January, then May, now late summer/early fall. Why is it taking so long? Gotta protect the family jewels. That's not even much of a paraphrase. Check the link if you don't believe me.

I'll believe it when I see it. 

This Deadline article includes the full quote from Moonves about Star Trek on Netflix:

“There are millions and millions of Trekkies out there,” he says. “We know for a fact that the other versions of Star Trek — there were seven other series, some of them were great and some of them were terrible — they all did really well on Netflix. That gave us great confidence that this was the right choice to put the full court press on All Access.”

Seven other series? Hrm. I wonder which ones Moonves considers terrible.

"... they all did really well on Netflix." Where people could watch them as a part of an existing subscription, along with lots of other content from lots of studios. That's hardly the same thing as paying for a completely new service with only CBS shows so that they can watch a new Trek when they've only seen the pilot. Not a new observation on the stupidity of putting the show on CBS All-Access, but just a chance to connect it to a direct quote.

Posted (edited)

Two new actors, Jason Isaacs (AKA, Lucius Malfoy) as captain of USS Discovery, and Mary Wiseman as a Starfleet Academy cadet.

http://www.startrek.com/article/discovery-adds-two-more-cast-members 

Thoughts: I thought that the Captain of the Discovery was out of the picture and that "Number One" took over command. I guess that early on everything changes fast!

Edited by Helburn

It may well end up like Voyager, where the ship had a Starfleet 1st officer, then it didn't. Or maybe Isaacs plays the captain throughout the series, but the narrative stays with Number One whenever she leaves the bridge.

Posted (edited)

With these latest additions to the cast, there are now three names I recognize from some of their other TV shows: Sonequa Martin-Green, Terry Serpico, and Jason Isaacs.

I'm also curious to see how the show handles having Number One as the lead character rather than the caption captain.

Edited by forst

On 3/11/2017 at 9:54 AM, forst said:

rather than the caption.

I realize this was just a typo, but now I'm having visions of a series that's just MST3K-ing old Trek episodes and films.

Curses! If only I'd misspelled it, the spell check would've caught it.

I've heard rumours that the new series may be in the form of an Anthology series, with each season being dedicated to a different story (and era?)

Has anyone been able to collaborate that?

I recall hearing that as well, back when the show was first announced. As far as I know, it's never been officially confirmed.

I wonder when we'll get the first true promotional spot for the series. Probably after the first look at the ship(s). I remember it was a big deal when TV Guide published the first pictures of the NX-01.

I'm also curious to see how soon CBS will announce the premiere date. At this point, I wonder if they'll wait until all 13 episodes for the first season are in the can before committing to a date.

Chiming in on this one... with all that's been done to Star Trek, my expectations for this series is the lowest that's it's ever been for any Trek series.  My expectations for Beyond were pretty low and I was totally impressed.  So I'm hoping Discovery will surprise me.