Shadow

Star Trek: Discovery

86 posts in this topic

So the new series has finally received a name and teaser trailer showing the titular ship. Who else is excited for Trek to return to TV?

EDIT: Wow, the fanboy hate is strong. Very few seem to like the design (which does seem to echo an old design from the 70's for the aborted Star Trek II TV series) or the look of the CGI.

Edited by Shadow

I'm looking forward to it. I'm not thrilled with the design, but I never cared for the look of the 1701-D, either. I've seen predictions, based solely off of this test footage (the design isn't yet set in stone, even) that the series is doomed. Nevermind casting, characters and story, just kill it before it's born? There are things I've heard that I like. There are things I've heard that I don't, but let me at least see the pilot before making up my mind.

Well, the news that broke yesterday that this was going to another prequel series, set 10 years before Kirk's original five-year mission, hasn't exactly got me jumping up and down in excitement. I'd rather go forward than back. I was hoping for something back in the 24th century or even beyond that, but I guess this is better than nothing at all.

I'm with Shadow on this one.

I don't understand why they keep going back in time. I want to move forward. It's like they don't have any inspiration.

As for the ship, it's butt ugly.

I'll watch it cos it's Trek, but can't see myself watching and/or enjoying an entire season.

I'm only guessing, but the reason for not jumping forward may be to keep the crew more closely tied to the people of today. If you recall, the first few episodes of TNG S1 were full of Roddenberry's ideal future, but that kept the characters from having any of the flaws we deal with today. They had to kind of back off of that to connect with audiences. If you go even further out from where we left off, what does humanity even look like? We see a glimpse of the Enterprise-J in Enterprise, but I'm not sure the writers can conceive of what that crew and technology are like, much less capable of writing them into situations that connect with today.

They could, I suppose, pick up where Spock gets sucked into the black hole following the destruction of Romulus. By doing that, though, they'd be tieing themselves down with the established continuity of TNG/DS9/VOY. That's a lot of baggage to carry around. There's baggage in a prequel, too, but I have a feeling that the Discovery is going to be put in a situation where the things that happen there don't bump up against too many points from TOS.

As for ugly, I don't disagree. It's a different look, but I never cared for the Galaxy class from TNG or Intrepid class from VOY, either. Give me a solid cast and compelling stories and I won't care when it's set or what the ship looks like. The converse is also true. After all the talk of the Akira-prise in Enterprise, the look of the ship was the least of that show's problems.

First off, that was test CGI, not the finished product.

Second, another prequel means they have another chance to put a series squarely in continuity (I seem to remember the OL really digging that in the form of DS9), after the fourth season of ENT proved that the fans would've liked that a lot more than what they'd previously been getting, which was another episodic series filled with fairly generic sci-fi plots.

I'm cautiously excited. The test CGI does look pretty bad but it's test CGI. I'll wait to pass judgement until the finalized ship design is released. I'm not sure how the series will work with the lead character not being the captain of a starship but I'm willing to wait and see. We really just don't know enough at this point to form any real opinions. Obviously, if you're bummed about it being a prequel, that's a valid opinion. I don't mind another prequel, to be honest, as long as it's a good show.

I love this episode, so it could be a good sign for the series, or it could mean they're going to ruin one of my favorites.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/star-trek-discovery-good-wife-spinoff-cbs-all-access-premiere-date-1201860613/

So the series debut has been pushed back to May. According to CBS, Fuller and Kurtzman, it's so that they'll have sufficient time to give the show the quality FX it deserves. Your guess is as good as mine on whether that's the case. Shooting is still scheduled to start in Toronto at the end of October.

I'm willing to accept this was a creative and/or production decision rather than a bad omen.

Bryan Fuller has stepped down as show-runner for Discovery. Official word is that he will continue as an executive producer and the show will continue along the path that he's set in place. He is reported to have penned the first two episodes and set the arc for the first season, but simply can't devote enough time to the series with his other commitments. Given that the premiere has already slipped by several months, I'm sure he's being pressured by CBS to move things along.

This is a bit of a disappointment to me, but I've decided to simply give up on any expectations where this project is concerned. I'll watch the initial episode on CBS and go from there. If it doesn't suck, that'll be good. If it's good, even better. I don't dare to hope that it'll be great.

Yikes. This show just cannot catch a break. The worst thing is, at some point it won't matter whether the show is any good or not. A lot of people may write it off simply because of the behind-the-scenes shenanigans.

I just noticed that, too. I think I figured out how to move it (and my reply and your reply and my reply to your reply).

Nice work. I tried to do that, but couldn't. And moderating functions produce the most traffic the forum has seen in years.

It looks like we can add two more names to the list, Doug Jones and Anthony Rapp

EDIT: And here's the press release:

"STAR TREK: DISCOVERY" BEAMS UP FIRST THREE CAST MEMBERS

Studio City, CA – STAR TREK: DISCOVERY announces its first three cast members: Doug Jones, Michelle Yeoh and Anthony Rapp. As previously announced, STAR TREK: DISCOVERY will premiere in May 2017 on CBS All Access, the CBS Television Network’s subscription video on-demand and live streaming service.

Doug Jones will star as “Lt. Saru,” a Starfleet Science Officer and a new alien species to the Star Trek universe.

Michelle Yeoh will star as “Captain Georgiou,” the Starfleet Captain aboard the Starship Shenzhou.

Anthony Rapp will star as “Lt. Stamets,” a gay astromycologist, fungus expert, and Starfleet Science Officer aboard the Starship Discovery.

Star Trek, one of the most iconic and influential global television franchises, returns to television 50 years after it first premiered with STAR TREK: DISCOVERY. The series will feature a new ship, new characters, and new missions, while embracing the same ideology and hope for the future that inspired a generation of dreamers and doers. The series premieres May 2017 on the CBS Television Network with all subsequent episodes available in the U.S. on CBS All Access, and will be distributed concurrently by CBS Studios International on Netflix in 188 countries and in Canada on Bell Media’s Space Channel and CraveTV. 

STAR TREK: DISCOVERY is produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Alex Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout, Bryan Fuller’s Living Dead Guy Productions and Roddenberry Entertainment. Alex Kurtzman, Bryan Fuller, Heather Kadin, Gretchen J. Berg & Aaron Harberts, Rod Roddenberry and Trevor Roth will serve as executive producers. 

CBS All Access is the CBS Television Network’s digital subscription video on-demand and live streaming service. In addition to its upcoming original series, CBS All Access gives CBS fans the ability to watch more than 8,500 episodes on demand – spanning current shows from primetime, daytime and late night, as well as past seasons of select series and classic TV hits. CBS All Access is currently available online at CBS.com, on mobile devices via the CBS App for iOS, Android and Windows 10, and on Roku Players, Apple TV, Chromecast, Android TV, Xbox 360, Xbox One and Fire TV. 

CBS All Access will continue to expand its lineup of original series with additional programming to be announced.

Edited by Diesel Micky Dolenz

I'm just not sure that CBS's business model is smart here, instead of licensing the property across the board, as Net Flicks, HULU, etc. No they go and pull properties back and start a Star Trek channel with this new series as the flagship show. I'm worried this is not going to end well.

I'm not a fan, either. To be fair, it'll be available on Netflix in other countries, and it isn't a Star Trek channel, it's a CBS channel, but yeah. I question how many people will pay to see it.

It turns out Bryan Fuller will have no involvement in Star Trek: Discovery following his departure. He wrote the first two episodes and crafted the story arc for the first 13-episode season. More at TrekMovie.

I hate to double post but lots of casting news has come out over the past few days. The big big news is the casting of Sonequa Martin-Green (currently on The Walking Dead)  in the lead role of Lieutenant Commander Rainsford. Deadline has more info.

Also, Chris Obi, Shazad Latif and Mary Chieffo have been cast as Klingons. More at TrekMovie.

My honest reaction to these casting details? I don't really care. I'm not excited about this show at all.

I'm kind of at the mild curiosity stage. I really hope its good. There are lots of talented people behind it, but there are also quite a few red flags flying in the breeze.

I'm not concerned about Fuller's exit.  If anything it might help broaden the appeal of the show, since he tends to produce quirky material when in full creative control, and it's never had wide success.  But he already had a good base of support, and the other guys behind the series aren't exactly slouches.  I like the casting and character details we've learned recently.  This could be very, very interesting.