Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Askre

Is Spock nicer in the movies?

5 posts in this topic

I've been on quite a Star Trek binge lately and finally reached the point I'm watching the movies as I managed to acquire all the Directors edition of the original series movies and it struck me when watching with the text commentary on that it said that after mind melting with V'Ger, Spock finally accepted his human half or something like that, before he had always been trying to reject it.

So I started to think back to the original series and I started to notice that Spock has a lot of moments where he is for the lack of better term, "irritated" by his fellow human crew members. Come to the movies, especially after the first movie, Spock does not show any of these traits and if anything he feels much nicer and understanding of his human friends. I'm not saying Spock was a jerk in the original series, he certainly had friendship with Kirk and even McCoy but he seems much colder in parts than any time in the movies post Motion Picture.

So am I just going insane or is Spock in fact nicer in the movies?

You're not going insane. Well, you might be, but not because of anything you've mentioned in this thread. Spock is definitely different in the films than he is in much of the series. In the series, he suppresses or tries to deny his human half. At the start of TMP, he's actively trying to rid himself of any emotion. V'ger was essentially what he thought he wanted to become, a being of pure logic, but even V'ger was looking for more. Spock found that he already had what V'ger was searching for. He still values logic but realizes that there is value in simple feelings, too. Even in his 'argument' with McCoy over the ethics of the Genesis device, Spock is logical, but not dismissive.

Also, I'd imagine that dying and being brought back to life would have some sort of effect on one's outlook.

I would even go a step further and note that Spock seems to have become nicer and more understanding and tolerant over the course of his entire life. Look at how understanding and how he expresses his feelings more openly in say Star Trek (2009) as compared to the movies as compared to TOS. I think Spock's progression toward being a nicer and more understanding character is one element that has been a constant thread from TOS through Star Trek (2009). I wonder if that was Leonard Nimoy's intentional influence on the development of the character.

I wouldn't be surprised. 

And good to know I'm not going any more insane than usual. :D

It's weird though that I never gave this much thought at all in the past and it's only been recently I've started to more properly notice things like that.

I know he's much more conscious of how he interacts with others in the movies.  He doesn't feel as isolated...although of course by 2009 he's become about as isolated as you can get...