Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
[ace]

TOS 2:22 - by any other name

7 posts in this topic

i know that today, in 2016, science has a better understanding of the universe than science had 50 years ago when the original series episode, "by any other name," was written. in that episode, the enterprise penetrates the barrier of our galaxy in order to travel to the andromeda galaxy. i was wondering what kind of space is between galaxies. is it just empty blackness devoid of stars and planetoids? is it filled with dark matter?

i just googled it and answered my own question i think.  apparently the theory is that there are "rogue" stars and planets out there. i was about to delete this post, but ill post anyway in case anyone wants to comment on the episode or the question.

also, does anyone know if the andromedians colonize our galaxy, and do they come up in any later shows?

and how many times have we seen Kirk seduce women now? both alien and human alike. maybe its his swagger.

We never hear from the Kelvans again.

Kirk's ability to seduce women of any race was legendary. It probably wouldn't work in a modern television series.

The barrier at the edge of the galaxy was first encountered in "Where No Man Has Gone Before," TOS's second pilot.

Ive been watching all tos episodes in order, which i had not done before. I had just seen episodes randomly before now. Im really enjoying it, despite the fact that there are so many alien planets inhabited by humans (or at least identical in appearance) who have a culture identical to earth cultures (usually with some twist gone horribly wrong) including speaking english. Nevertheless i am thoroughly enjoying it.

Kirk finally gets rejected! In TOS 3:5 "Is There in Truth No Beauty", Kirk tries hard to put the moves on Dr. Pulaski, er.. I mean Dr. Jones, but she rejects him. In all fairness to Kirk, she was quite literally blind. And she could read his mind. So there's that, as well.

I think episode 3:5 is the second time we see Diana Muldaur appear on TOS, although, it should be noted, I think she played a different character both times she appeared. However, each time she had the title "Doctor," which is fitting since she later played Doctor Pulaski on TNG.  Apparently Ms. Muldaur is 77 years old.

Yes, she was also in "Return to Tomorrow," hosting one of the aliens' consciousness. And then there was the time she fell down the empty turbolift shaft... wait, that was on L.A. Law.

they had a turbolift on L.A. Law?!

No, they had Jefferies tubes.  Obviously!