Sign in to follow this  
Diesel Micky Dolenz

2016 Movie Megathread

Here's a list of sci-fi/fantasy films slated for 2016. The original list was posted on io9, along with film descriptions. I've edited films like Kung Fu Panda 3 out of the list, but if you're into that sort of thing, see the original article.

JANUARY

The Forest (Jan 8)

The 5th Wave (Jan. 22)

The Boy (Jan. 22)

Synchronicity (Jan. 22)

FEBRUARY

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (Feb. 5)

Deadpool (Feb. 12)

Viral (Feb. 19)

Gods of Egypt (Feb. 26)

The Witch (Feb. 26)

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny (Feb. 26)

MARCH

Valencia (March 11)

Brothers Grimsby (March 11)

Other Side of the Door (March 11)

Allegiant (March 18)

The Little Prince (March 18)

Midnight Special (March 18)

Batman v Superman (March 25)

APRIL

Rings (April 1)

Pandemic (April 1)

Before I Wake (April 8)

Amityville: The Awakening (April 15)

The Huntsman: Winter’s War (April 22)

Paradox (April 22)

Ratchet & Clank (April 29)

MAY

Captain America: Civil War (May 6)

Alice Through the Looking Glass (May 27)

X-Men Apocalypse (May 27)

JUNE

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows (June 3)

Conjuring 2 (June 10)

Now you See Me 2 (June 10)

Warcraft (June 10)

Independence Day: Resurgence (June 24)

The Shallows (June 24)

JULY

The BFG (July 1)

The Legend of Tarzan (July 1)

The Purge 3 (July 1)

Ghostbusters (July 15)

Lights Out (July 22)

Star Trek Beyond (July 22)

The Space Between Us (July 29)

Bourne 5 (July 29)

AUGUST

Suicide Squad (August 5)

Spectral (August 12)

Kubo and the Two Strings (August 19)

A Man in the Dark (August 26)

SEPTEMBER

Patient Zero (September 2)

A Cure for Wellness (September 23)

Delirium (September 30)

OCTOBER

Gambit (October 7)

A Monster Calls (October 14)

Underworld 5 (October 14)

Ouija 2 (October 21)

Inferno (October 28)

NOVEMBER

Doctor Strange (November 4)

Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them (November 18)

DECEMBER

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (December 16)

Passengers (December 21)

Assassin’s Creed (December 21)

Jumanji (December 25)

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (December 25)

I have yet to sit down and make my own list of movies to see this year. I will say that I saw a trailer for it on the big screen and The Boy looks absolutely terrifying.

Add to this, apparently, 10 Cloverfield Lane. It's a Bad Robot (JJ Abrams) production that pretty much dropped out of the sky last night with a trailer attached to 13 Hours. This is similar to the way Cloverfield hadn't been heard of before it's trailer showed up out-of-the-blue in 2007. Here's the trailer...

The film opens March 11, 2016.

Edited by Diesel Micky Dolenz

Cloverfield was one of those movie I always planned on seeing but never did. All I remember hearing when it came out was how much "shaky cam" there was.

I will be seeing Pride and Prejudice and Zombies this weekend. I have not read the book but the trailers look like fun. If all goes according to plan, next weekend I will finally go see Star Wars: The Force Awakens again.

I can't decide whether the trailers for Deadpool make it look like a good movie or a bad movie.

I did end up seeing Deadpool and loving it. Now I am eagerly awaiting Captain America: Civil War, which I will probably see later in the month to avoid crowds during opening weekend. I am also excited about X-Men Apocalypse even if the trailers make it look a little confusing. Again, I will be seeing it a week or two after it opens.

So Civil War was kind of awesome. If you really want to make a superhero v(s). superhero film, this is the way to go about it. There wasn't an obviously right side, and the reason for the fighting made sense. Also, there wasn't a "your name is 'Martha,' too? Let's be besties!" moment to resolve things.

I have now seen Captain America: Civil War twice in theaters. I enjoyed it both times. It was so much better than Batman v Superman. Not perfect, though:

Spoiler

There were way too many characters. It really was Avengers 2.5. There was too much Tony Stark/Iron Man and not enough Steve Rogers/Captain America. Spider-Man was unnecessary and added nothing to Captain America's storyline.

I also saw X-Men: Apocalypse, which was decent but not great. Nowhere near as good as X-Men: Days of Future Past but I never thought it would be. Thoughts:

Spoiler

Again, too many characters, but that's par for the course with X-Men movies. I had a hard time remembering what role Havoc played in the earlier movies. I was way too excited for Wolverine's cameo. I am really confused about the overall X-Men movie timeline, though. The original trilogy technically takes place in an alternate timeline because of Days of Future Past, right?

There was so much destruction in this movie yet it was never mentioned in the original trilogy (obviously because it was thought up for this movie). Humanity should hate mutants even more after Apocalypse, even if he was stopped by other mutants. Tens of millions of people probably died, if not more. Thinking about this too much makes my head hurt.

I saw Warcraft the other day.  I thought it was pretty good, made some good observations about the fantasy genre that Peter Jackson and George Lucas haven't before it.

Doctor Strange was really good. Maybe a little Marvel formulaic but very enjoyable. I especially loved the end credits music.

Agreed. I saw some reviews complain that it was too much of an Iron Man rehash, but I didn't really see it that way. Aside from the 'cocky genius gets injured' angle, the rest of the plot wasn't similar at all. I did find Cumberbatch's American accent a bit annoying.