forst

New Star Trek TV series coming in 2017

New Star Trek TV Series  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Are you excited about the new Star Trek series coming in 2017?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

From StarTrek.com:

CBS Television Studios announced today it will launch a totally new Star Trek television series in January 2017. The new series will blast off with a special preview broadcast on the CBS Television Network. The premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the United States on CBS All Access, the Network’s digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service.

The next chapter of the Star Trek franchise will also be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms around the world by CBS Studios International.

The new program will be the first original series developed specifically for U.S. audiences for CBS All Access, a cross-platform streaming service that brings viewers thousands of episodes from CBS’s current and past seasons on demand, plus the ability to stream their local CBS Television station live for $5.99 per month. CBS All Access already offers every episode of all previous Star Trek television series.

The brand-new Star Trek will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.

Alex Kurtzman will serve as executive producer for the new Star Trek TV series. Kurtzman co-wrote and produced the blockbuster films Star Trek (2009) with Roberto Orci, and Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) with Orci and Damon Lindelof. Both films were produced and directed by J.J. Abrams.

The new series will be produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout. Kurtzman and Heather Kadin will serve as executive producers. Kurtzman is also an executive producer for the hit CBS television series Scorpion and Limitless, along with Kadin and Orci, and for Hawaii Five-0 with Orci.

More at the link.

Additional articles, all with the same details, available from CBS, Variety, Deadline Hollywood, io9, The Hollywood Reporter

Edited by forst

So it will premiere on CBS, but following episodes will only be available in the US on a $5.99/month subscription service (which isn't Netflix, Amazon or Hulu). CBS must really hate Trek. Now when not enough people are willing to subscribe to a service they'd have no other reason to join, CBS can say, "hey, we tried a new Trek series, but nobody watched!" I hope it doesn't suck, but even as big a fan of the franchise as I am, I don't know that I'll see anything past the free premiere.

I'll definitely pay for more than the premiere, unless it's totally atrocious.

You know what I want though?  I want a Star Trek show, and I want a lot of old posters to come back here to Lowerdecks to discuss.  I'm not sure if that's all that likely at this point though.

I mostly post at the Trekbbs these days (as well as a few others I've recognized from here) because its volume has more or less been the way it used to be here.  But back during Enterprise I remember it being awful to post there.  Any voice would just get lost in the crowd, whereas here there was more of a sense of familiarity with posters.  We knew how interactions would go with Karma, Q, fdewaele, Xenan, Askre, Boynamedsue, forst, Cartagia, Elmo, Shadowfyre, QuantumDemon, DMD, etc.  There was a sense of community, not just people throwing a bunch of stuff on the internet.  I miss that tighter community, and realize why it dwindled and went away.  But I also realize why it may not be possible for things to really return to anything close to the way they were.

Back when I found this place (or rather section 31), it was only one of a few Star Trek websites with news about Series V.  Now there are tons of sites with comment sections or forums and any one can be picked.  I don't know if there's much that would lure too many new people into this place.  We could always set out to try and lure people back! :D

Anyways, I look forward to this show, no matter what it is.

I have added a poll to this topic. Cast your vote!

Les Moonves of CBS has offered some explanation for why this new series will be available via CBS All Access. From The Hollywood Reporter:

"All the series have done well in terms of streaming, he said. "Added in to that, Star Trek is a huge international franchise. Our international distribution guy is going crazy; he can't wait to get out to the marketplace and sell that. Right away, we're more than halfway home on the cost of the show from international alone. The risk is small in seeing the track record. We think it'll be great and bring in a lot more subscribers. We're really excited about it."

[...]

"[Star Trek 2017 is a] world-class effort that will make all Star Trek fans proud," he said, calling Trekkies the "most passionate fans in the world." Moonves anticipated "millions" signing up for All Access, which will allow diehards to watch the new series any time, any place and on any device they'd like — a move the exec said is consistent with how many viewers are watching CBS' content.

Also, I did not realize that CBS All Access is ad-supported in addition to costing $5.99 a month. I hate the idea of paying for a service and still having to watch ads, which is why I never wanted to subscribe to Hulu. By 2017, hopefully there will be an ad-free subscription option.

And I have to wonder if CBS All Access will eventually become the exclusive home for all Star Trek TV series. Right now you can watch them all on Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Instant Video.

Edited by forst

It would be nice to see a new series for a change instead of watching reruns :D

So I'm looking forward to it. Cos there isn't any good sci-fi on tv these days (unless I'm missing something?).

I don't understand why it's limited to this CBS all access service.

IMO it's the disease of this tv era.

If I want to follow my favorite shows, I need a subscription on HBO, Netflix and my national/local service. And now also for CBS?

Why can't these services just share shows so that you can pick one service and be done with it?

And I agree, forst. If I pay for it, I don't wanna see any commercials or ads.

I also share Ryan's views. I hope this show brings back some life intomthis place :)

It's the only board I still visit from time to time.

I am cautiously optimistic about this new Trek. I agree with DMD in that it seems to be doomed before it ever gets off the ground and I will not pay $6 per month to watch one show. 

It seems to me that after DS9, the Trek shows went downhill quickly. Voyager, at least to me, was just okay and I hated Enterprise.

We shall see.  :q:

Yeah, the premiere is going to have to be really great for people to shell out money for this service.  But for me personally, there's no way I'm not getting it.  I'm already contemplating getting rid of cable and then just paying for the shows or services that have those shows that I want to see.  It might actually be cheaper that way.  I hate cable... it offers nothing for me but hundreds of channels that I don't want to watch, although the kids like it.  I feel like it's going the way of the dodo.

The reason there can't be a unified service is that everyone is always competing, and that's actually good for us.  I looked at CBS' show selection, and it's not that bad.  There are definitely things I would watch on there.  If money's a big concern, I might just cancel Netflix while this show is on, and switch back if there's something I really want on Netflix.  There seems to be a bit of overlap between the two.  I wouldn't be surprised if Star Trek stuff suddenly became exclusive to CBS though.

Unless CBS All Access has some sort of feature preventing binge watching, I'll probably just wait for the season to be available and pay for a single month or two. Even at that, it'll have to have good reviews for me to be willing to pay for something and still have to wade through ads.

I love it that we can still get some of the old regulars to pop in every now and then.  But a lot of them have simply moved on, and anytime we get someone new pop in, they disappear just as quickly as they appear...

Is that the fate of this new series?  Except the shows that have limited access have as much a chance to catch on at this point as popular favorites like Walking Dead.  CBS kind of did what it had to do.  That it's set to premiere on CBS itself is incredibly historic.  if it garners big ratings, CBS could always broadcast future episodes, almost like TV movies, which is something Voyager toyed with, whenever it wants to.  Me, I was binge-watching before it was popular, and I still think of it in the physical sense, in DVD form.  I have no idea how backward I am in that regard.  But I've signed up for someone's exclusive service before, and I would be more than willing to do it again, if it meant watching Star Trek. 

I honestly don't know what reputation I have here, except maybe as a crazy person who won't go away (hey, I have experience with that, too!).  As one of about five people who can watch any of the series (or any of the movies, for that matter) and not instantly cringe, my reputation might be for being indiscriminate.  But I'm really not.  I don't like all of it, and I won't watch it just for the sake of watching Star Trek.  The pilot would definitely have to interest me to make any kind of commitment.

All I can say with any certainty is that it's exciting to have something like this on the horizon.  Most interesting?  Waiting to see what direction the new series takes...

Am I the only one starting to wonder why CBS announced the new Star Trek series so early? The other day I started thinking maybe it was because the news was about to leak so CBS felt it had to get a jump on rumors by making an official announcement. It would have made a lot more sense to announce it in January 2016, which would be a year before it premieres, rather than November 2015. It just seems so random.

$5.99 per month? Seems like CBS is trying to bait in subscribers from Netflix/Amazon/Hulu and using Trek as a means to take a piece of that pie.

That's quite the gamble. It takes me about half a season on average to really get "into" most shows (with the exception of a few like Voyager, Walking Dead and Break Bad. I also like to have at least 1 complete season of any show at my disposal via streaming particularly b/c binge watching is the new norm for my household. Also, ad-free streaming or the ability to skip ads ala' YouTube is also the standard.

That said, I am unsure how/why I am expected to pay $5.99 per month to watch 1 episode per week of the new Trek complete with ads. That and how will I stream it to my big screen? Is the CBS All Access app compatible with Chromecast, FireTV, Apple TV?

Unless the new series is 'that' good...you can count me out for the time being.

On 11/2/2015 at 8:52 AM, forst said:

The brand-new Star Trek will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.

please let this be true.

As for putting it on CBS All Access, maybe they see this as an opportunity to increase traffic to CBS All Access. Put a new trek show on CBS All Access and you can draw in a large audience. Maybe we can be thankful CBS All Access is so crappy because it may have motivated CBS to create a new trek show.

I don't really want to pay for CBS All Access but I probably will if episodes are released weekly rather than all at once. If they're released weekly, waiting until all episodes are released and then signing up for a free trial means worrying about spoilers.

Aside from the cost to me, I'm of two minds when it comes to CBS All Access. Expectations may be much lower for a Star Trek show on CBS All Access than on the CBS network, which means if the show is good but not many people are joining CBS All Access, perhaps it will get a second season. On the other hand, it may not get a very high budget. It really depends on what CBS Television Studios hopes to accomplish and, presumably, how well the series sells internationally. Those international license fees may be high enough that the show gets a decent budget.

It'll be interesting to know whether or not it is available outside the US - preferably before I get bombarded with emails asking why I'm not typing them up..... (because their terms of use prohibit derivative works based on their videos, that's why.)

Oh look, as I'm not in US, Canada or Australia, I have to sod off. Lovely.

I'm sure it will. According to the original StarTrek.com article, "The next chapter of the Star Trek franchise will also be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms around the world by CBS Studios International."

Bryan Fuller will co-create the new Star Trek series and serve as showrunner. More at Deadline Hollywood.

My reaction is mixed. On the one hand, Fuller wrote or provided stories for episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Star Trek: Voyager, so he has experience with the Star Trek universe. On the other hand, just about everything he has done since then on TV has been really weird/quirky. Hopefully he can reign that in. I don't want a weird/quirky Star Trek series. 

I'm enthusiastic about the choice. It's good to have a true fan of the franchise on board. I get your point about being too quirky, though. I loved Pushing Daisies, but I wouldn't choose that tone for a Trek series.

Now this I find exciting. Between Meyer, Fuller and Kurtzman, you have three generations of Trek represented. How will that all mesh together? No, I'm not expecting the new show to be a mash-up of TWoK, DS9/Voyager and the JJ-verse, but with all those eras being represented, what will be the feel of the new show? Regardless of the setting, if these three can work together well, it could be a great show. And if not...