Sign in to follow this  
Diesel Micky Dolenz

Sci-Fi & Fantasy TV 2015-16

According to io9.com, here are the sf&f television shows premiering or returning this fall, along with networks and timeslots. Are all of these shows really sci-fi or fantasy? I'd say no, but it's not my list.

AUGUST

Sunday, August 23
Fear the Walking Dead (9pm, AMC)

Tuesday, August 25
From Dusk Till Dawn (9pm, El Rey)

SEPTEMBER

Tuesday, September 8
The Awesomes (Hulu)

Friday, September 11
Z Nation (10pm, Syfy)
Continuum (11pm, Syfy)

Tuesday, September 15
The Bastard Executioner (10pm, FX)

Saturday, September 19
Doctor Who (9pm, BBC America)

Monday, September 21
Gotham (8pm, Fox)
Minority Report (9pm, Fox)
Scorpion (9pm, CBS)
Blindspot (10pm, CBS)

Tuesday, September 22
Scream Queens (8pm, Fox)
The Muppets (8pm, ABC)
Limitless (10pm, ABC)

Thursday, September 24
Heroes Reborn (8pm, NBC)

Saturday, September 26
Guardians of the Galaxy (9:30pm, Disney XD)

Sunday, September 27
Once Upon a Time (8pm, ABC)
The Last Man on Earth (9:30pm, Fox)

Tuesday, September 29
Agents of SHIELD (9pm, ABC)

OCTOBER

Thursday, October 1
Sleepy Hollow (9pm, Fox)

Sunday, October 4
The Leftovers (9pm, HBO)
CSI: Cyber (10pm, CBS)

Tuesday, October 6
The Flash (8pm, The CW)
iZombie (9pm, The CW)

Wednesday, October 7
Arrow (8pm, The CW)
Supernatural (9pm, The CW)
American Horror Story: Hotel (10pm, FX)

Thursday, October 8
The Vampire Diaries (8pm, The CW)
The Originals (9pm, The CW)
Haven (10pm, Syfy)

Friday, October 9
Reign (8pm, The CW)

Saturday, October 10
The Last Kingdom (10pm, BBC America)

Sunday, October 11
The Walking Dead (9pm, AMC)

Tuesday, October 13
Manhattan (9pm, WGN)

Saturday, October 24
Da Vinci’s Demons (Starz)

Monday, October 26
Supergirl (8:30, CBS)

Friday, October 30
Grimm (9pm, NBC)

Saturday, October 31
Ash Vs. Evil Dead (Starz)

NOVEMBER

Thursday, November 5
Angel from Hell (9:30, CBS)
Elementary (10pm, CBS)

Sunday, November 15
Into the Badlands (10pm, AMC)

Friday, November 20
The Man in the High Castle (Amazon)

DECEMBER

Thursday, December 3
The Wiz Live! (8pm, NBC)

Monday, December 14
Childhood’s End (8pm, Syfy)
The Expanse (10pm, Syfy)

Edited by Diesel Micky Dolenz

I am watching Fear the Walking Dead. It is not great.

I am really excited about the returns of Continuum and Haven and a bit sad both are ending.

Other returning shows I will be watching: Doctor Who, Scorpion, Once Upon a Time, The Last Man on Earth, Agents of SHIELD, The Flash, iZombie, Arrow, Supernatural, and Grimm. I am probably most excited about the return of iZombie, The Flash, and The Last Man on Earth.

New shows I am looking forward: Limitless, Heroes Reborn, and Supergirl. I am not sure how Supergirl will turn out but it looks great. I will also be trying The Muppets, although I do not consider that sci-fi or fantasy.

I am watching Fear the Walking Dead. It is not great.

I have to agree. They may have fallen into the Enterprise trap. When the audience knows more than the characters, it's difficult to generate really compelling storylines. Also, there's the "it's just not The Walking Dead" feeling I get watching the show, which is a problem because once civilization comes to an end, we'll get the "they're just rehashing The Walking Dead" feeling.

So far I've sampled Minority Report, Blindspot and Limitless. Of those three, I'd say Minority Report will be the first to be cancelled. The show itself isn't bad (in fact, the future world building is quite good), but it seems too out-there for general audiences. There are other issues with characters and plot, too.

Blindspot has a bit of the same feel that The Blacklist has, a positive for me, and not surprising since there are some of the same people behind it. It looks like each tattoo has to be "solved" before any of the other tattoos will make sense, so that's how they get around simply interpreting all the tattoos at once. So that's how you get your criminal of the week, with the larger story being, "who is she?" and, "who's behind this and why?"

Limitless seems like the best shot to survive. They've managed to incorporate humor, and done it well, which neither of the other shows really has. I never saw the film on which it's based, but the show is supposed to be more of a follow-on than a reboot (also the case with Minority Report). I think it'll also be a case-of-the-week plus larger mythology show.

I'm still watching Fear the Walking Dead, but with one show left in its inaugural season, I'm not all that interested in whether the show returns. Not that it matters since it was renewed before its premiere. There just seems to be a whole lot of stupid going on and not much urgency. Why fence in an entire neighborhood, be secretive about why you're taking at-risk people away, and then burn the whole thing to the ground? 

Continuum is back for its final season. Why am I watching? If I knew that I might be able to figure out what's going on in the show. Everyone has his/her own agenda and none of them make a bit of sense.

Gotham returned last week. Agents of SHIELD returned last night. They're both sitting on my DVR along with Heroes Reborn and that's all I have to say about that. I am, however, looking forward to the return of Sleepy Hollow tonight and The Flash next week.

I watched the first episode of this season's Gotham but I stopped recording the show after that. The show is just too damn violent for me. Enjoyed Agents of Shield's opener. Looking forward to The Flash and Arrow coming back. I am enjoying Heroes Reborn but lack interest in the new characters.

Edited by TJ

I really like Limitless. Blindspot is a bit too much like The Blacklist but I am a fan of Jaimie Alexander so I will keep watching. Fear the Walking Dead is very, very boring. We are five episodes in and it honestly feels like barely one episode worth of anything has happened. I love the fact that I have no idea what is going on with Continuum although I am concerned that it will impossible to wrap up well with just two episodes left.

Heroes Reborn is entertaining enough, I suppose, but nothing like the first season of the original series. Agents of SHIELD is never going to be amazing--or even very good--but I will probably keep watching until the bitter end (just like Smallville).

I did bother with Minority Report and do not watch Gotham.

My wife has taken to calling Quantico, "tits and guns." It's not an inaccurate description. Lots of pretty characters doing stupid things. Still, I'm somehow entertained.

Limitless is really the only new show that I'd be disappointed to lose. The ratings so far suggest that's not likely.

Is anyone watching The X-Files limited series on FOX? I just saw the first episode this morning. It was a mess. I have only seen about ten episodes from the original run of the series, so perhaps I'm not the target audience.

I don't remember much from the orginal series - i watched off and on. I've been watching the new episodes. It's fine. Another one that I'd probably be fine to do without.

I am halfway through Daredevil season 1, and I like much more than I thought I would.  :yeah: Looks like season 2 is on the way.

On 25/01/2016 at 3:33 PM, forst said:

Is anyone watching The X-Files limited series on FOX? I just saw the first episode this morning. It was a mess. I have only seen about ten episodes from the original run of the series, so perhaps I'm not the target audience.

It starts here next Monday night. I'll record it, but I'm in two minds whether to worry about watching it until all the eps are on the Tivo or not.

I still haven't watched Daredevil but I did watch Jessica Jones. It was good but not great and some of the episodes really dragged. I had the same problem with the Netflix Arrested Development episodes. I wonder if writers are so used to the 21 minute sitcom/43 minute drama required for commercial television that being able to run long leads to padding. Or maybe I'm so used to shorter, tighter episodes that 30 minute sitcoms and 50 minute dramas seem long to me.

As for The X-Files, I've enjoyed the three episodes I've seen so far. I do think if I was a huge fan I would be getting more out of the callbacks and references.

I watched Jessica Jones after watching Daredevil. Jessica Jones was OK, but Daredevil was much much better. It felt like Jessica Jones was a spin-off of Daredevil.

Is anyone else seriously disappointed in Supergirl? I had such high hopes for the show but it is a complete mess. This week's episode was the worst yet.

It's OK, but just. They're definitely produced by the same team as Arrow and Flash, but there's something missing. There's a lot of cases of characters doing really stupid things in all three, plus the "we have to discuss our emotional baggage in the middle of a mission" thing, but Flash and Arrow seem to get away with it better. Maybe the characters themselves are lacking. Also, there's the inherent issue of, "what can you do to threaten an invulnerable character?"

How is Legends of the Future shaping up for you? We've only had the 2 part pilot so far. I'm still trying to get over Arthur Darvill doing more SciFi, and doing it rather well as a renegade Time "Master."

Did DC comics come up with that race before or after 1963???? :)

I'm still watching. I don't love it, but I like it enough to keep watching. I fear the premise is going to be a limiting factor before long. Finding and fighting Vandal Savage week after week is going to get old.

FWIW, Rip Hunter, Time Master first appeared in 1961.

I'm not enjoying it much. It has already gotten old, in my opinion, and I'm not sure how much longer the presence of Caity Lotz is going to be enough to keep me watching.

Daredevil season 2 is out. I haven't started watching it yet, but it looks like the Punisher will be involved, and that ninja woman, i forget her name (spectra?). I hope it lives up to the first season. I'm excited to start it, but haven't had time.

I still need to catch up on the latest season of Vikings, Workaholics, Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and Broad City. All the shows seem to come out at the same time. I don't know where to begin.

I'm still enjoying Legends of Tomorrow. I don't know how they're going to stretch it out for another season.

10 hours ago, Diesel Micky Dolenz said:

They're going to need to find a wider premise to keep the show going.

This. But I also don't liek that it keeps Snart and FIrestorm out of Flash and Sara and Ray out of Arrow. I guess that's kind of the point though...

Edited by TJ

So both Limitless and Supergirl have ended their seasons. Limitless is probably not coming back next season; Supergirl likely will even though the ratings have not been great.

My thoughts on Limitless:

I have mixed feelings about two-part finale. I'm happy it was wrapped up rather than ending on a cliffhanger since the show probably won't be coming back. On the other hand, everything felt too nicely wrapped up. It was too perfect of an ending.

My thoughts on Supergirl:

Yawn. Even the actual cliffhanger was boring. The way Superman was written into (but out of) the last two episodes was comical. There was so much potential for this series and it was all wasted. Except for Melissa Benoist, who was superb was Kara Danvers and Supergirl. The entire DEO plot was underwhelming. That super smart, rich tech guy was laughable. I hated all the romance stuff. Not sure where it can go next season other than more romance.