Sign in to follow this  
forst

2015 Movie Megathread

Here is a list of science fiction, fantasy and horror movies opening in 2015. Use this thread for posting news and trailers as well as opinions and reactions.

2015 is over. Bring on the movies of 2016!

Edited by forst

Not Sci-Fi or fantasy, but I saw American Sniper over the weekend. It didn't really sound like the kind of film I'd like, but it wasn't my turn to pick the movie, so I went. In short, it deserves all the accolades it's getting.

As far as this year's genre list, Avengers is the first of the year that looks good to me. I saw a trailer for Mad Max and thought it looked ridiculous.

Lots of movies I look forward to seeing when they hit home video. The only one I will probably venture out to the theater to see will be Star Wars.

Is it weird that I am not really all that excited about Avengers: Age of Ultron? I feel like I should be and I will definitely be seeing it in theaters (not opening weekend, of course) but none of the trailers make it look like anything more than another mess of huge battle scenes.

Matt Damon got the lead in The Martian?

Left behind again? :D

Only looking foreward to the avengers and the new Terminator.

The others don't really interest me

Has anyone seen Terminator Genisys? Frankly, the trailers make it look pretty bad but since I have seen all of the Terminator movies I will probably watch this one eventually once it hits Netflix or Redbox.

I saw the new Avengers film and enjoyed it enough. Ant Man will be my next trip to the movies. I liked the first two Teminator films, but the others have all left me flat, so I'll be skipping Genisys. After Ant Man, I don't see anything worth while until Mockingjay.

I just read The Martian, so I'm looking forward to how that gets adapted.

No way I'm missing Episode VII.

io9 has a listing of 30 SF/Fantasy movies to "watch out for."

http://io9.com/fall-movie-guide-30-science-fiction-and-fantasy-movies-1724602554

The article gives descriptions of each film, but here are the titles and release dates:

September

Bloodsucking Bastards (Sept. 4)

Dragon Blade (Sept. 4)

The Visit (Sept. 11)

Listening (Sept. 11)

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials (Sept. 18)

Cooties (Sept. 18)

Everest (Sept. 18)

Before I Wake (Sept. 25)

Hotel Transylvania 2 (Sept. 25)

The Iron Giant: Signature Edition (Sept. 30, Oct. 4)

October

The Martian (Oct. 2)

The Final Girls (Oct. 9)

Pan (Oct. 9)

Steve Jobs (Oct. 9)

Crimson Peak (Oct. 16)

Goosebumps (Oct. 16)

Jem and the Holograms (Oct. 23)

The Last Witch Hunter (Oct. 23)

Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension (Oct. 23)

Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse (Oct. 30)

November

The Peanuts Movie (Nov. 6)

Spectre (Nov. 6)

Rings (Nov. 13)

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 (Nov. 20)

The Good Dinosaur (Nov. 25)

Victor Frankenstein (Nov. 25)

December

Krampus (Dec. 4)

In the Heart of the Sea (Dec. 11)

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Dec. 18)

The Hateful Eight (Dec. 25)

Some of those don't belong on a list of SF and fantasy films, but I've included them because io9 included them. Your mileage may vary.

I saw The Martian yesterday. It was incredible. I had only two minor complaints:

1) I was expecting the focus to be almost entirely on Mark Watney on Mars and was surprised that there were so many scenes set on Earth.

2) The movie should have ended with Watney being rescued by the crew of the Hermes. The final scene back on Earth and the scene shown during the closi

ng credits were unnecessary.

Edited by forst

So Spectre did not blow me away. It was an enjoyable movie, I suppose, even if the plot meandered at times. But Daniel Craig's Bond is just so dull and lifeless. I cannot believe women throw themselves at him. He has the charisma of a dead fish.

I saw The Martian yesterday. It was incredible. I had only two minor complaints:

1) I was expecting the focus to be almost entirely on Mark Watney on Mars and was surprised that there were so many scenes set on Earth.

2) The movie should have ended with Watney being rescued by the crew of the Hermes. The final scene back on Earth and the scene shown during the closi

ng credits were unnecessary.

I cannot disagree with either of your comments. The book, which I highly recommend, does spend a greater amount of time on Watney. It also has more humor, and Watney has more problems to overcome. I can understand some of the cuts for time, but in the book Watney is also a mechanical engineer, and I'm not at all certain of the point of leaving that out.

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2 was a huge, huge disappointment.

I plan on reading the novels for the first time next year and I hope the final novel is better than the two-part movie adaptation. Unfortunately, I have been told it is not great.