Sign in to follow this  
forst

Robert Orci (not) directing Star Trek 3

Deadline.com reports that Robert Orci has been chosen to direct Star Trek 3, replacing J.J. Abrams. At the very least that should mean less lens flare. I am sure I will be seeing Star Trek 3 but I was underwhelmed by Star Trek into Darkness so I am not all that hopeful.

I've liked a good bit or Roberto Orci's work as producer or writer on Fringe, Sleepy Hollow, Alias, etc., but I'm a bit concerned about this being his first directing gig. I know everyone has to start somewhere, and he's certainly been around the business for a long time, but this isn't a small job. Supposedly, it was Damon Lindelof that was responsible for making John Harrison into Khan, and he's not involved with Trek 3 at all. The Khan thing didn't bother me, but a lot of people didn't like it. I'll watch regardless.

From Variety:

Director Roberto Orci promises that the latest installment of the rebooted franchise will stay true to its roots as it heads back to deep space.

“In this movie, they are closer than they are to the original series characters that you have ever seen,” Orci said during a podcast for Geoff Boucher’s Humans From Earth. “They have set off on their five-year mission. So their adventure is going to be in deep space.”

This means the USS Enterprise will explore the universe rather than the San Francisco cityscape, which fans took issue with in previous installments.

“In ['Into Darkness'] they set out finally where the original series started,” he said during the interview. “The first two films – especially the 2009 ['Star Trek'] – was an origin story. It was about them coming together. So they weren’t the characters they were in the original series. They were growing into them and that continues on in the second movie.”

It'll be interesting to see if it's still possible to make a Trek film where the consequences aren't so close to home. Insurrection was the last attempt, and it wasn't a good film for a number of reasons, but one of those was that you have to work harder to get the audience to care about a civilization other than their own. Khan himself wasn't a direct threat to Earth in Into Darkness, but the idea of him reviving his superhuman army would be a long-term threat. There have been early rumors that we'll be getting into it with the Klingons, but I hope that isn't the case. Let's see if this crew really can be explorers.

It would never happen but it might be interesting to have a Star Trek movie without a threat at all. Just a mystery/quest/whatever.

I saw that. I've also read that the script and script writers have all been jettisoned, too. It's rumored that the story involved a time travel device that the Vulcans want to get their hands on to prevent the destruction of their planet. It would also have allowed Shatner to appear as Kirk alongside Chris Pine. If that rumor is correct, then I don't think we've lost anything by the change. It does make it much less likely that a new film will be screen-ready in time for the 50th anniversary.

It's rumored that the story involved a time travel device that the Vulcans want to get their hands on to prevent the destruction of their planet.

That was a rumor created by Devin Faraci, who's like Soong in that he's often wrong.

Orci denied that time travel was ever involved on trekmovie, and I'm much more inclined to believe that. I always thought that after the first movie they decided that they wouldn't mess with time travel anymore too.

Horrible rumor of the day: Paramount ditched Orci and his script because they want Star Trek to be more like Guardians of the Galaxy. Ugh. I loved GotG, but there's simply no way to shoehorn Trek into that mold and not end up with a complete disaster.

He may have had some industry contacts at some point (probably from his days at CHUD), which gave him credibility, but most of the things he's had to say about the new Star Trek movies have been wrong. Like this one: http://badassdigest.com/2010/10/25/scoop-no-khan-in-star-trek-2-so-who-will-kirk-co-face

People keep paying attention to these rumors because there basically is no news otherwise.

I haven't seen any of his work at all, but I'm hoping it's a good thing. I mean, it sounds a lot better than Orci directing. It sounds like Paramount maybe came to their senses on that one.

But to be frank, I don't care if it's Lin, Wright, Orci, Abrams, Frakes... hell I don't even care if it's Bay, Shyamalan, McG, or Boll. I'm somewhat apathetic about the movies ever since Insurrection, so no name was really going to change that for me. The most I can hope for here is that the movie is successful and that it leads to a TV series once again. Although that might be something for me to be apathetic about all over again!

The latest twist in the Star Trek 3 saga: Simon Pegg will co-write the script with Doug Jung. Read more at Deadline Hollywood.

Is it just me, or is this film turning into a train wreck even before a single scene is shot? is there anyway it can still be released in 2016 in time for the 50th anniversary of the franchise?

They start filming in April, so yes, they can get it in theaters in 2016. Given the rush to recover from ousting Orci and starting over with a new script, I'd say a train wreck is a real possibility. That being said, I've enjoyed the Pegg-written films I've seen. I'm just not sure how that will translate to Trek.

I'm still betting it'll be better than The Final Frontier, Insurrection or Nemesis, FWIW.