Sign in to follow this  
forst

2014 Movie Megathread

Here is a list of science fiction, fantasy and horror movies opening in 2014. Use this thread for posting news and trailers as well as opinions and reactions.

2014 is over! See 2015's thread here.

Edited by forst

I had to look several of these up as I'd not heard of them.

Captain America, Spidey, X-Men, Hunger Games and The Hobbitare a given for me. My family is reading the Divergent books, so I'll likely see that. Transcendence may be worth seeing if I can talk myself into another Depp movie. I'll end up debating whether Edge of Tomorrow is too Groundhog Day to see. My kids will want me to see Guardians of the Galaxy, but I have no interest in it of my own. Interstellar could be incredible or a complete flop, given the hype that's been building around it. Either way, I'll probably see it.

I assume it's an oversight that you didn't include The Lego Movie (Feb. 7) or Muppets Most Wanted (Mar. 21).

I honestly did not think The Lego Movie or Muppets Most Wanted fell under the science fiction, fantasy and horror banner. I want to see both of them, though.

I saw a trailer for Earth to Echo last weekend before Captain America: The Winter Soldier. It looked really weird. How do movies like that keep getting made?

I am waiting to see X-Men: Days of Future Past (hopefully this weekend). I saw The Amazing Spider-Man 2 several weeks ago and was not terribly impressed. Too many villains. I am going to wait to see Godzilla on Netflix or On Demand.

Of the movies left on the list, I think I am most looking forward to The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1 and The Hobbit: There and Back Again, so I have quite a long wait on my hands.

I wasnt a fan of how they did Electro in Spidey 2, seemed pretty cringeworthy to me. I'm looking forward to Guardians of the Galaxy next month :)

I was able to see Dawn of the Planet of the Apes in theaters. It was terrific. Much different than Rise of the Planet of the Apes in tone and content. Not necessarily better but certainly not worse. Both were excellent movies but very different.

Guardians of the Galaxy was terrific. As a fan of the original GotG comic I was a little disappointed (but not surprised) when the movie was announced because it would be about the new version but I did not let that stop me from enjoying it.

I agree about the post-credits gag. I think I caught most of the more obvious Easter Eggs but I am not up on my Marvel Cosmic Universe enough to have caught everything.

I thought the trailer for The Maze Runner looked interesting but not enough to see it in theaters. I can wait for it to be on Neflix or Amazon Instant Video.

I did wind up seeing Interstellar. It was very good but the last 30-45 minutes were super confusing. The sound mix was also terrible and at times it was impossible to understand the dialogue.

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1 was enjoyable but I hate having to wait another year for the second half. I have not read the books so I have no idea what is going to happen. I thought beforehand that I would like having a fourth movie to look forward to but Part 1 was not a great standalone movie.

I'd agree with both of those sentiments, though I have read the Hunger Games books, so I know what's coming. I didn't think that splitting the fourth book into two films was a good idea, but it actually ended up less disappointing than I'd expected, so there's that.

As far as Interstellar is concerned, I think I understand what happened at the end for the most part. I'm not sure, though, how it managed to "save" humanity. It looked like they'd managed to find a way to live near the wormhole anyway. And why you'd only spend a moment with the daughter you left, and rush off without meeting any of your grandchildren or great grandchildren, I have no idea. It just kind of fell flat for me. I'm not sorry i saw it, but it could have been better.

There was a lot of controversy around the time the movie came out because of the author's various opinions, right? That might also impact any potential sequels.

I did finally see The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies. It was decent and enjoyable but a little too long and padded. There was absolutely no need for three movies. Two would have sufficed.

Finaly saw Interstellar.

The visual effects were great.

The Storyline was way too predictable.

And the ending didn't make sence at all. 2 hours and 40 minutes and you aren't any wiser.

They live in a tube?

As for the timetravel, same problem as always. How can humanity save itself?

Its the chicken and the egg all over again.