Sign in to follow this  
forst

50th anniversary of JFK's assassination

Yesterday marked the 50th anniversary of the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. I was actually home sick from work during the afternoon so I watched some of the real-time web stream of the 1963 CBS News coverage of the assassination (which can be found here and continues through Monday night). It was surreal to watch the events unfold exactly 50 years later.

My guess is nobody here is old enough to remember the assassination. My parents were in grade school in 1963 but of course remember the day well.

My earliest historical recollections are from 1986: they were the Challenger disaster, the Reagan-Gorbatsjov summit meetings in Iceland and of course the Tsjernobyl disaster, all when i was seven years old.

I am a little too young for those. I think the first big historical event I sort of remember was the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing here in the States. Then the birth of Dolly the cloned sheep and the crash of TWA Flight 800 in 1996.

I live close to Dallas and it was crazy around here for a few days before and after the anniversary. I'm old, but not old enough to have been alive when Kennedy was shot and oddly enough, it's never been a subject that has really interested me. *shrug*