Sign in to follow this  
Diesel Micky Dolenz

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Somehow I managed to misprogram my DVR (how is that even possible?) and I didn't record the premiere of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Anyone out there want to comment on the new series with the entirely-too-complicated name?

Having been a big fan of Buffy/Angel/Firefly, I can definitely see Whedon's stamp on this, especially in the dialogue and character interaction. The first episode was okay. I can't say I was overwhelmed. Still, it was only a first ep, so there's lots of room to grow.

I was actually underwhelmed given all the hype. If this was the best the blockbuster-premiere-to-wow-viewers could do, I am not sure where the show is going to go from here. It was really a basic procedural with some flashy gadgets and a few tie-ins to the Marvel cinematic universe, plus one or two mysteries thrown in. Nothing all that impressive.

Wasn't overly impressed, but it could work, and given the pedigree will either be around for years or be over in a season.

I watched the first two episodes last night. I wasn't wowed, but it wasn't bad. Some bits seemed a bit forced, but that's not unusual for a new series, particularly one that has a back story that has to be served. At the least, I'll keep watching.

I am now caught up through the most recent episode (#103, "The Asset"). The show is still not really doing anything for me. Either ABC promised more than it could deliver or I expected more than I should have, but I am finding it pretty run of the mill. The banter between the two scientists was fun during the first episode. Now it is starting to get annoying. And Agent Coulson really has only one expression.

I am still terribly bored by this series. I have not seen the most recent episode, which is the one that follows Thor: The Dark World, so maybe it will be better.

Edited by forst

I watched the most recent episode this morning. It has not improved. What little information we got about Coulson's death was not worth the wait. And I really, really cannot stand Skye.

I haven't seen the most recent episode, but it seems that the show runners are completely risk averse. This must be the Disney influence. The show operates in a universe that could be the setting for some very compelling spy stories, but it's just so bland that it's difficult to watch.

Bland is a perfect description. The plots are bland, the characters are bland, the mysteries are bland. I never expected to see Thor or Captain America every week, but I certainly expected more than what we are getting.

Yes, some of the slow burning threads have started to come together. The characters themselves tend to be so flimsy, though, that I don't particularly care what happens to them. At this point in the series, I should.

Just a heads-up: last night's episode features spoilers for Captain America: The Winter Soldier, which I will not be seeing for two more weeks. I am not sure if the spoilers are major or minor. Thanks ABC!

I have now seen Captain America: The Winter Soldier and I am caught up on AOS. Thinking about it now, I really do not feel the April 8th episode ("Turn, Turn, Turn") contained a lot of spoilers. The April 15th episode ("Providence") on the other hand, did have some big spoilers.

I am still just as bored with this series as I was before the current storyline kicked into high gear. If the show is renewed for next season without some big changes made, I will not be watching.

Finally, I was surprised there was no promo for AOS before or after Captain America: The Winter Soldier. It would have been a huge opportunity to advertise the series.

ABC has renewed Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and picked up Marvel's Agent Carter for the 2014-2015 season. Even though I have been very critical about AOS, my gut feeling is that I will probably keep watching next season just because I love Marvel. As for Agent Carter, I will no doubt tune in to the premiere and I like the post-WWII setting, so hopefully it will be better than AOS and I will actually enjoy it.

Shield improved a lot and with a second season it has a chance to keep getting better. They really stumbled out of the gate with the first half of the season. Hopefully Carter doesn't make the same mistakes.

I agree that the show did improve over the course of Season One. It still has a long way to go, though, to be must watch TV rather than something I watch just because I like Marvel comics. I am not sure how but there has to be some way to better integrate the series into the Marvel Cinematic World -- while still maintaining a separate storyline -- that would not require guest appearances or a huge special effects budget. The crossover with Captain America: Winter Soldier was a decent start.

FYI: Season 2 premieres in the States on Tuesday, September 23rd at 9PM (not 8PM like last season). Despite my displeasure with the Season 1, I am going to be watching.

So it should be sitting on my DVR now. At some point I'll have to work up the enthusiasm to watch it. Other than The Blacklist, Person of Interest, The Big Bang Theory and The Walking Dead, there's just not much I have to see out there these days. Come to think of it, I now have new episodes of all of those (with the exception of The Walking Dead) sitting on my DVR at the moment.

EDIT: And Sleepy Hollow. Can't forget that. Also waiting patiently on my DVR.

Edited by Diesel Micky Dolenz

Well, we are three episodes in to Season Two with a fourth airing tonight. It is not much better than last season. I am really looking forward to Agent Carter, though.

I'm a few episodes behind, but I've at least started the season. It's still better than it was pre-Winter Soldier, I think, but not great. The stupidity of some of the characters is a bit difficult to get over. Reports say SHIELD will be affected by the events of Age of Ultron, so they'll have that to work with in May sweeps.