Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
forst

Have you ever made a website?

Website   4 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever made/built/designed a website?

• Yes
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 posts in this topic

I seem to be on something of an Internet kick this evening. So I put forth the following question: how many people here have ever made their own website. Blogs and social media do not count. I think I made my first website back in 1998 using Microsoft Frontpage.

It was a fan site for the TV show Robotech and has been scrubbed from the Internet for more than a decade It was probably hosted at GeoCities. I also used Tripod a lot and Xoom. Never FortuneCity, though.

I had one on GeoCities a loooonnnnggg time ago. I don't remember what for though. I think I made it for my dog. Lol

The first site I built was a fan site for Sliders. I hosted it on either GeoCities or Tripod, I believe, but it wasn't long before I got an offer to host my site on a shared server as part of a network of fan sites. The site, and the network of sites (Slidersweb.net, complete with early 2000's Flash menu) is still up and running. It was originally built using Frontpage, but has long since been redesigned using Dreamweaver. Last updated in 2006.

Edited by Diesel Micky Dolenz

Ah, Dreamweaver. A buddy of mine "gave" me a copy and I was super excited until I tried it and realized it was actually too clunky when compared to Frontpage. I started using Notepad to hand code and never looked back.

As some of you may remember, I too started out on Geocities, then paid Yahoo for a while before finding a UK hosting company for a fraction of the price.

I'm still using Frontpage plus Notepad, mainly because my coding needs are very few. No cookies, no movies, no audio. Just a few tables, paragraph and line breaks with the occasional image. Keeping it simple saves a lot of hassle having to juggle code for all the different browsers and versions out there.