Sign in to follow this  
forst

General Star Wars Sequel Trilogy Discussion Thread

Via Deadline Hollywood comes the news that J.J. Abrams will direct Star Wars: Episode VII, expected to hit theaters in 2015.

Thoughts?

I am not the biggest fan of Abrams. Frankly, aside from his name I am not sure exactly what he brings to most of his projects. Not that I have seen all of his work, mostly just his television programs. Star Trek (2009) was enjoyable but not entirely true to Star Trek. Still, after the disasters that were the prequel trilogy, even a lens flare love fest from Abrams set in the Star Wars universe should be worth seeing in theaters.

I would think he'd do Star Wars well. At least, I don't think he could churn out a film with worse dialogue or unnecessary CGI than what we got with the SW prequels. He also has the advantage of it not being a reboot of Star Wars, but a continuing of the story. Plenty of history to draw on, but also plenty of room to maneuver and go where he'd like.

On a side note, it'll be fun to watch all the SW fans that have claimed for years that the SW extended universe is canon. I can't imagine Abrams hamstringing himself with that content.

[i am converting this to a general Star Wars Sequel Trilogy discussion thread.]

R2-D2 is officially in Star Wars: Episode VII, per Deadline.com. I am sure I will be seeing all of the upcoming Star Wars movies but it is far, far too early to actually be excited.

From StarWars.com, official confirmation that the new Star Wars trilogy will not follow the Expanded Universe. I think I read a few of the Young Jedi Knight books when I was a kid but otherwise have no knowledge of it. I think it makes sense to want to start fresh with the sequel trilogy, although I am sure there will be elements from the EU in the new movies.

I recall reading the Thrawn trilogy way back when, but that was about the extent of my SW reading. I've seen it mentioned that Star Wars Rebels will be the first new-canon production, and it retains some elements from the EU. EU books will apparently also continue to be published under the "Legacy" banner.

So the main cast for Episode VII was announced on the 29th. Not much to go on. Other than Andy Serkis, I recognize only one of the new castmembers (Adam Driver) and that is only because I saw an article about his potential casting weeks ago.

A second teaser trailer was released today:

I can't decide if I want to read as much as possible to try to get a sense of the plot (and whether it will be a mess) or remain blissfully unaware. As of now, I'm tentatively excited but worried all the new characters will make the plot hard to follow.

I'm doing my best to stay spoiler-free, with the caveat that I can't resist watching the official teasers/trailers. I love what I've seen so far, but I've loved the trailers for several films I ended up not liking, so there's that.

I'm with you on that. The footage released thus far looks amazing but it's far too early to know how the finished movie will pan out.

A behind-the-scenes video was shown at Comic-Con:

It looks impressive. I am getting a little more excited about this.

I know the final trailer is out, but I refuse to watch it. I couldn't resist the teasers because they didn't really have enough detail for spoil things, but I'm not taking chances anymore. Bring on the film!

I watched the final trailer and still have no idea what the movie is about or who any of the new characters are. But your mileage may vary and as an avid spoilerphobe myself I applaud your decision not to risk watching the trailer.

What I always wondered is where do this powerfull bad guys keep coming from?

Who trains them?

Who tells them to use the force for evil?

Aren't all the powerfull sith dead?

Or do they just pull out a can and whoppa you have a new bad guy?

Well, the Empire was a massive operation. Bringing down the Emperor and his right-hand sith would only be the beginning of the end, I'd think. There'd be plenty of people around that wouldn't be willing to give up power easily, and they'd all have muscle of their own.

I am probably not going to be seeing the movie until after Christmas, which means it will be out for more than a week before I get the chance to see it. I am concerned I will have to totally remove myself from the Internet during that time to avoid spoilers. I feel like headlines with spoilers will literally be everywhere. Even just checking my Yahoo! e-mail can be problematic due to random headlines popping up on random pages.

I think the last time I "avoided" the Internet was January 2011 when a huge shocking event hit the Fantastic Four comic book and I was desperate not to be spoiled. It worked then but I doubt I could pull off an entire week or more.

Edited by forst

Well, I said I was planning on waiting until after Christmas but the fear of spoilers was so great I braved the crowds today and saw it in 3D on an IMAX screen. Regrettably, I have never been able to see 3D effects all that well, so that aspect of the movie was underwhelming. But I really enjoyed it, although at times I will admit it felt like a retread of the original Star Wars. Daisy Ridley was remarkable. I swear there were moments where she looked exactly like Keira Knightley.

I am not sold on Kylo Ren as a villain. I was bored whenever he showed up. Finn was almost too jokey.

I was so frustrated with the ending simply because it meant the movie was over and I wanted more.

They killed Han! I think I knew it was coming just a few seconds before it happened, but could not believe what I was seeing. The new Death Star/Death Planet was really stupid and its destruction way, way too easy. Perhaps the most confusing part of the movie was R2-D2 waking up to deliver the information needed to find Luke. Why did R2 have it in the first place? What made the droid wake up at that particular moment? Also, who the heck is Supreme Leader Snoke? There were a lot of incredible coincidences, too, like Han and Chewie being in the right place at the right time to intercept the Millennium Falcon. The more I think about it, the more holes in the movie I come up with (how was Finn able to just decide one day to stop being a Stormtrooper?) but it does not bother me that much. Maybe because I am not a huge Star Wars fan I can enjoy it more as just a fun movie rather than obsess about whether or not it is a terrific Star Wars movie...

I will be seeing it again in January and after that it is going to be a l-o-n-g wait for Episode VIII.

Edited by forst

I saw it in IMAX 3-D, but made the mistake of only showing up 40 minutes before showtime, so I ended up in the second row. That is way, WAY too close. I had to turn my head from side to side just to read the opening crawl.

I thought it was fantastic. Exactly what a Star Wars film should be. It saddens me to think how good the prequels might have been if approached this way.

There were gaping plot holes, as forst mentions, but somehow those things are easier to overlook when the film is so entertaining. I'll be seeing it again. And from farther from the screen.

I can't help but think that Rey's parentage is going to come into play. Maybe Luke has an unknown daughter? Something called her to his/Anakin's lightsaber.

Oh, and THEY KILLED HAN! Once he walked out onto that catwalk, I suspected it might happen, but it still packed a punch.