Sign in to follow this  
La Chakoteya

Doctor Who season 7 or 33, take your pick

I am not quite sold on Capaldi as the Doctor yet. I liked "Deep Breath" but thought "Into the Dalek" was mediocre, probably because I think the Daleks are a bit played out at this point. Hopefully this will be their only appearance this season.

I just watched "Doctor Who: Global Conquest," a TV special chronicling the Doctor Who World Tour undertaken by Capaldi, Jenna Coleman and Steven Moffat last month. It looks like they all had a great time and the fans worldwide were having a blast. Star Trek never had that sort of global fan response.

"Robot of Sherwood" was okay. It never really got going but was still a bit of fun. "Listen" was just a mess. Too much time travel, too much crossing of time streams, too little to care about. So out of four Capaldi episodes I have only really liked one ("Deep Breath") which is not a great percentage.

I was at first a bit hesitant of Capaldi , but it's not the actor methinks, per usual it's the mediocre writing which lets the actor down.

Edited by fdewaele

Although I liked the episode "Time Heist", I certainly didn't care for "The Caretaker", which in my opinion was up to this point the worst episode of the season.

"Time Heist" was okay but nothing special. "The Caretaker" was just plain boring. I get that the conflict between The Doctor and Danny Pink is supposed to be exciting because he may be the only person ever who does not think The Doctor is the bees knees but it just comes off as petty and stupid.

Unrelated: I had no idea that across the pond people who teach mathematics are called Maths Teachers rather than Math Teachers.

Danny Pink is not a great character. Rory was great as the companion's partner, but Danny is just meh...

PS That's because it's Mathematics :angel:

Edited by fdewaele

"Mummy on the Orient Express" was boring. I have no idea if it is Moffat to blame or Capaldi but this season is without a doubt the worst yet. I have never really liked Clara that much so at this point I am really just watching because it is Doctor Who and I like Doctor Who. Maybe if Clara does leave that will shake things up enough to get me invested again.

Well, Forest is yet another oh no we're all going to die! no, we're not, everything is fine story.

I like Capaldi far, far more than Smith despite the writing, but the Clara theme is getting more and more on my nerves. Why can't a companion just be a companion?

"Death in Winter" was abysmal. It made absolutely no sense.

Upon reflection, I can say that Danny Pink was my least favorite character this season (and perhaps of the entire series to date).

Death in What? Oh, Heaven.

Yeah, the whole Missy/Master thing was gosh-awful and has the teenage fan boys wetting themselves over the possibility of a female Doctor......

I may vomit in Odo's bucket if that happens.

I had hoped that the sense of deep relief I used to feel at the end of a Matt Smith series would diminish with a mature Doctor, but yes, the stories have been not of the best calibre.

Another Genesis of the Daleks or Caves of Androzani are never going to happen, I fear.

I cannot decide who I am more sick of: Capaldi's Doctor, Clara or Mr. Pink.

Well, for me that was an easy choice: I really really detested Danny Pink. So he wins hands on.

My general evaluation of the season:

Well, all in all, this was a pretty disappointing season. Next to the one with Ecclestone, ranking with the worst. The storylines were really mediocre to bad, with a meagre few good episodes strewn in between. Both the writing and the (general) plots (the forest thingy? Come on!) were bad, and the main actors were truly handicapped by it. Capaldi however still managed to somewhat grow on me, despite the erratic writing. Danny Pink was more of a hindrance than a boon though. I hope we see no more of mr. Pink though. He should just stay dead and not be resurrected as they did with Rory. Clara is not so bad, definitely not as annoying as Donna, but she’ll never be Amy. All in all, not really a season worth remembering.

It was pretty bad, yes. I had to wait forever for it to show up on BBC America On Demand and it was definitely not worth the wait.

But to be fair, we are not the teenage boys that they are aiming the show at these days....

Or even the twenty/thirty somethings who know no better.

"Sleep No More" may have been the worst episode of Doctor Who I have ever seen. To be fair, I cannot really remember much of last season, though, so maybe some of those episodes were worse. I still miss Amy and Rory. Clara continues to underwhelm. Capaldi is okay as the Doctor but either he is trying too hard sometimes or the writers/directors are. His wackiness feels forced.

Finale screened.

Opinions?

(Personally, I don't think the titles reflect the contents of the last two. Should have been the other way around.)

That was pretty bad, in my opinion, and really destroyed any emotional impact of Clara's death (not that I thought she was really dead) a few episodes ago. I think this is probably my least favorite season so far.