Sign in to follow this  
La Chakoteya

Doctor Who season 7 or 33, take your pick

I'm terribly dissapointed with this season. It's not the acting of Smith and Coleman that bothers me, it's the very weak scripts. Up to now, only Cold War was good, and even that had a rushed cop out ending.

I am finally caught up with the season. I also remain underwhelmed. I cannot recall ever being this unenthusiastic about the series since I started watching back in 2005 when it was revived.

"Cold War" was a mess, "Hide" had good guest stars but a pretty lousy story and "Journey to the Centre of the Tardis" made absolutely no sense. I did enjoy "The Crimson Horror" although it too had a less than stellar story. We are now eight episodes into the second half of Season/Series 7 and yet Clara has no real definition. I feel like by this point in Season/Series 5, Amy had a very distinct personality which was reflected in her interactions with the Doctor were. Clara, on the other hand, remains woefully undeveloped and basically just runs around saying "This is happening?" I wonder if this is intentional due to the ambiguity of Clara's backstory. I do still think Clara and the mystery of who (or what) she is is intriguing. But there has been next to no movement on that. A few random lines and that is it.

Why did Karen Gillian want to leave? I miss Amy. And Rory, for that matter. Clara is probably my least favorite companion to date. I would say the ranking goes Amy, Rose, Martha, Donna, Clara.

Well, Crimson Horror was a fun romp with Diana Rigg and her daughter....

with references back to Ark in Space and Peter Davison's Doctor.

We know that Clara knows the Doctor's real name - as does River Song. And the last episode is going to be about that. I just hope they don't ruin the whole mythos as they run up to the 50th Anniversary.

Well, Nightmare in Silver was by Neil Gaimon. Although how much of his original script survived to the screen is up for debate.

Hardly a nightmare, IMHO, but a nice enough story and plenty for Matt Smith to do.

It was an okay episode. The kids were pointless and the girl was annoyingly stereotypical. This season really needs to end so we can get some closure on Clara the impossible girl. At least I hope we get some closure. I cannot take another season of boring stories teasing something that could potentially be interesting.

I did find the attitude of the CyberMind Mr. Clever to be weird for a CyberMan.

The kids were annoying indeed.

Yet, "Nightmare in Silver" still was easily the best episode of the season.

I would like to see Porridge again though, but I fear that was a one off.

PS Neil Gaimon, isn't that the author of "Stardust"?

Edited by fdewaele

Well, the finale made up for a rather lacklustre season. The montage of arts at the start and the big reveal at the end were mind blowing. Up there as one of my favs of the new series.

Oh hi by the way, it's been a few years. ;)

Did anyone else watch the live announcement that Peter Capaldi is the new Doctor? I had never heard of his before his name was announced. I think he is going to take some getting used. I must admit to not feeling at all enthusiastic about the show after Matt Smith leaves. I am still not over the loss of Karen Gillan.

I watched that special live. Well, about as live as bittorrent will allow since I don't get BBC America. I didn't know Capaldi by name, but did recognize him from his earlier appearance on DW as well as series three of Torchwood. I always hate to see the current doctor leave, but I'm looking forward to the new one. When Tennant left, I had hoped that they would go with someone older, so was taken by surprise when they went with the youngest actor ever in the role, but Matt grew on me with his spastic quirkiness. Still, the first Doctor I ever watched was Pertwee, so I have always enjoyed an older Doctor.

I'm finally caught up on the latest season of the Doctor. Fell behind early this year, finally caught up now. I am going to confess that I've so far felt like they have been trying too hard with the eleventh doctor. Then again the revival series has been a real hit and miss for me. I barely can stand episodes that have Rose Tyler in it (all of the ninth run and good portion of the tenth run) and about the only ones I think are really good are the ones who had Donna as the companion, because honestly she actually felt like a real companion, not like a clingy jealous school girl. (Man it was breath of fresh air when they had Sara Jane come guest role, Finally a REAL companion even if it was only for a brief moment). Though I have to admit I absolutely loved Rory and his truly good character development and the fact that he both got the girl and stuck with the girl.

As for this last run of episodes before the 50th anniversary special, I really had this rushed feeling when watching them. Like they were really in a hurry to get this over with before the big reveal at the end. At first I thought it was because it had been a while since I last watched an episode and Clara's mystery had been hinted at earlier in the series, but, no it still felt rushed. Now that I think about it Clara only appears in Asylum of the Daleks and then never again until the Snowmen, that's a pretty big leap and suddenly we are on a rushed ride to the end of the series to answer this question about the girl who made only two appearances before. Yeah definitely felt like they were in too much hurry, I think they should have peppered Clara in more in other episodes as well before the final run.

Almost looking forward to the 50th anniversary special.

I say almost because.... *sigh* Rose Tyler is returning....

Edited by Askre

I watched "An Adventure in Space and Time" this morning. I had little knowledge of the early years of Doctor Who, so I cannot speak to the authenticity of the telefilm, but it was really good. Makes me want to watch some Hartnell episodes.

I am really looking forward to the 50th anniversary special this afternoon. BBC America is kicking things off at 2:30PM with a live pre-show and "The Day of the Doctor" starts at 2:50PM.

Edited by forst

The fiftieth-anniversary episode "The Day of the Doctor" was a grand episode. Tremendous! It gives backstory for the fall of Gallifrey and the Doctor's role in it and it gives us three doctors in ther same place! And some revelations which may explain Elizabeth I's antagonism in a pevious episode ("The Shakespeare Code" in which she wanted the doctor's head) :D and which was already hinted at in "The End of Time" and in "The Wedding of River Song".

Edited by fdewaele

With "The Time of the Doctor" Matt Smith's final episode has aired. I must say that after the splendid "The Day of the Doctor" it was somewhat of a dissapointment. But it was still better than most other episodes.

I personally think Peter Capaldi's a bit too old to be the new Doctor. At least he looks too old in my opinion.

He's younger than me! (just) and I think he looks great.

William Hartnell was 55 when he got the role, but looked a lot older. Maybe the return to the mature man for the first of the new set of 13 is an homage to the original?

Well, I'm not that old that I can remember that the Doctor was once played by (nearly) senior citizens ;)

For me the Doctor has always been played by men in their late twenties to late thirties.

Series 8 premieres tonight on BBC America. I suppose those of you across the pond may have already seen it given the time difference. I may rewatch "The Time of the Doctor" prior to the live preshow (BBC America sure loves milking Doctor Who) since I have almost no recollection of how Series 7 ended. It happens every year. Does anyone else have a problem keeping track of all the plot threads and storylines or is it just me?

Well, we've had two episodes of Capeldi ("Deep Breath" and "Into the Dalek") and I must say that he's growing on me.

Last night's episode was a bit like the movie "Innerspace" but than in the belly of a Dalek. I liked the ending though... it confirms on the one hand that the Doctor's not infallible and has predjudices, and on the other hand that Daleks simply are what they are: mindless genocidal killing machines. Switching one target (human kind) for an other (its own race) didn't fundamentally alter Rusty's perspective. He's still on "exterminate exterminate exterminate" settings.

Not keen on them writing Capaldi as Smith (not listening to people, making things up in his head while others are talking...) but he is a far better Doctor for me. If only the stories could live up to the actor.