Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
La Chakoteya

Doctor Who season 7 or 33, take your pick

75 posts in this topic

Well, it's back in the UK tonight, first of 5 shows this season.

Complete with 10 minutes prequel on the BBC iPlayer which I doubt non UK residents can get.

I don't know if I'm looking forward watching to or dreading having to try and transcribe it.

I finally have BBC America so I can watch the episodes as they air (or shortly thereafter) rather than having to wait until they pop up on Netflix. I watched "Asylum of the Daleks" earlier this evening and found it underwhelming. Not a particularly gripping or interesting story. I guess I sort of knew what was going on with Oswin from the very start or at least I knew it was not going to be a happy ending. I do not know if it was the writing or the actress but Oswin was completely unbelievable as a character.

I have yet to see "The Doctor, The Widow, and The Wardrobe" so I am not sure if I missed anything regarding Amy and Rory's relationship prior to the beginning of this episode, although everything seems to be back to normal now. I am going to really miss the both of them (particularly Amy) when they leave the series.

Amy and Rory are not in The Doctor, the teenage girl and the cardboard box..... as I call it.

But I suppose that the implications of revelations in Asylum about Amy's fertility status mean River never existed?

I liked "Asylum" better than the Dinosaurs story. The actress (Jenna-Louise Coleman) who played Oswin will become the new companion after Rory and Amy exit, so I wonder how they'll fit that in...

I hate the new opening sequence... especially the colors.

But I suppose that the implications of revelations in Asylum about Amy's fertility status mean River never existed?

I don't think so... I think it is that they consider her not exactly as their daughter either... only in a biological aspect... but not really in an emotional aspect as they never brought her up. In that way Rory and Amy are childless... and due to the damage Amy now cannot have any further children which can be brought up from craddle on...

I found Dinosaurs to have more than a touch of the Douglas Adams about it..... or is that just me?

A Town Called Mercy - with 'John Crichton' from Farscape!

I thought this one was pretty good, actually. (Despite implying that all us Archers fans are 12 centuries old....)

"Dinosaurs on a Spaceship"

I found this underwhelming due in part to the poor special effects but also because it really went nowhere with the dinosaurs due, no doubt, to the cost of special effects. If you are going to have dinosaurs on Doctor Who, you should go all out.

"A Town Called Mercy"

It took me a while to figure out that the sheriff was played by Ben Browder. I thought that was really neat. The story was better than "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship" but the cyborg did not quite work. Supposedly he (it?) had gone haywire to some degree, if Kahler-Jex is to be believed. And yet he seemed perfectly fine aside from the homicidal tendencies. And aside from the cloaking field and the big gun, what exactly made him such a dangerous killing machine? Did we ever hear or see anyone try to shoot him? Some part of him was still human or else he would not be a cyborg. Those parts should have been susceptible to bullets. Or fire.

The Power of Three

A year in the lives of the Doctor, Rory and Amy.

Interesting commentary on the difference in aging of the companions in their own timeline whilst only being away from Earth for a short time - from milliseconds to a couple of weeks at a go. The reverse of near-light speed travel, really.

And a nice nod to continuity with the new head of UNIT.

Last Saturday was Rory and Amy's exit episode (“The Angels Take Manhattan”), which I rather thought to be very disappointing... I do say, I feel sorry for Brian though… also the Doctor said that he couldn’t visit them anytime because that time was blocked from him, but surely that must only refer to NY 1938 and he could stumble over them in an other timeframe?

Also how could the Angels still exist when they were wiped out of time/existence in “Flesh and Stone”? Or were only part of the angels then wiped out? And how could that single final angel have survived to get Rory? And common, the Statue of Liberty as a weeping angel is a bit too much! As if nobody would notice that monolith moving!

I also found the episode incredibly disappointing. And not just because it was Amy and Rory's last episode. No matter how the episode unfolded it would have been disappointing on some level because I do not want to see them leave. But this? This was a mess of an episode. I think using the Weeping Angels again was a mistake (in fact, I think using them in "The Time of Angels" and "Flesh and Stone" was a mistake; "Blink" was a brilliant one-off episode and using the Weeping Angels again was a big misstep on the part of the producers). I think it would have been much more powerful had Amy and Rory simply decided to retire from adventuring in time, which is what I thought was going to happen based on earlier episodes this season. Instead, they were thrown back in time and yet somehow the Time Lord is not able to visit them because he can never go to New York City again? Maybe Amy and Rory could have left New York City. Or are we supposed to believe that the two of them lived out their lives in the Winter Quay? Amy said they were happy so that obviously was not the case. Also, having River show up took away from the trio of Amy, Rory and the Doctor.

Yeah, such a lot of holes in the plot, all set for when they make their guest appearances I suppose. Just like Rose was supposed to be trapped forever in the Cybermen's alternate dimension, but naturally found a way back at will.

Oh well, at least it is out of the way for now.

What did you think of Lady Liberty being made into an Angel?

What did you think of Lady Liberty being made into an Angel?

As I said, the Statue of Liberty as a weeping angel is a bit too much! As if nobody would notice that monolith moving! So that was both an unbelievable, unnecessary and dumb for show effect device.

I thought this year's Chrismas episode to be somehwat underwhelming... the plot resolution was a bit anticlimactic. The only interesting was the universe playing games with the Doctor regarding to Oswin.

Did you get the season 5 references? And of course, Clara's birthday....

I thought this year's Chrismas episode to be somehwat underwhelming... the plot resolution was a bit anticlimactic. The only interesting was the universe playing games with the Doctor regarding to Oswin.

I was also underwhelmed with the plot, which was both dull and fairly pointless. I will be interested to learn more about how Oswin's multiple lives.

Did you get the season 5 references? And of course, Clara's birthday....

I did not catch any Season 5 references. I read about Clara's birthday at Wikipedia.

Oh. The Great Intelligence is a foe from 2 stories with Patrick Troughton, the second of which is why he was brandishing a map of the London Underground.

I'm still working my way through the Eleventh Doctor, incidentally I'm also working my way through the 2nd Doctor and have seen both episodes where the Great Intelligent appeared (recreated episodes that is).

It is back again in the UK with The Bells of Saint John.....

(Which have very little to do with the main plot.)

I was very underwhelmed by "The Bells of Saint John." I almost fell asleep while watching it. I was confused about who The Doctor was referring to at the end when he said "she died" and that made Clara stay with the family.

Talk about underwhelming, ""The Rings of Akhaten" wasn't that good either...

You got that right. I think the underlying mystery to Clara/Oswin (who is she, how can she be impossible?) holds some promise but the character and/or Jenna-Louise Coleman's portrayal is really bland. I am also tiring somewhat of Matt Smith's facial expressions.

I've got no problem with Coleman or Smith. I think the writing's rather bland.

Last night's episode "Cold War" was of better quality although I thought the end to be a bit forced/rushed.