Sign in to follow this  
forst

12 killed at Colorado theater

From CNN.com:

A heavily armed gunman tossed tear gas into the darkness of an Aurora, Colorado movie theater Friday and then sprayed the audience with gunfire during an early morning screening of the new Batman movie, killing 12 and wounding 38 others, authorities said.

One of the injured was just 3 months old, according to hospital workers.

Police arrested a man believed to be the shooter in a rear parking lot of the theater, Frank Fania, a police spokesman, told CNN. The suspect was not immediately identified. Police said he was a man in his 20s from Aurora.

"He did not resist. He did not put up a fight," Fania said. Police seized a rifle and a handgun from the suspect, and another gun was found in the theater, he said.

What a horrible tragedy. It was an awful shock to turn on the computer and see this news.

And honest? This really makes me quite a bit less excited about seeing The Dark Knight Rises...

I guess I was a little insensitive about this, because my first thought was that I hoped it wasn't in Colorado Springs (where I live), and not because we just got hit with wildfires. It's a huge tragedy, regardless of where it happened.

But don't let it affect Dark Knight Rises for you. The two are only related insofar as this nutcase did it during a screening of the movie. It's like The Matrix and Columbine.

But don't let it affect Dark Knight Rises for you. The two are only related insofar as this nutcase did it during a screening of the movie. It's like The Matrix and Columbine.

Well, I was never as excited to see The Dark Night Rises as I was to see The Avengers and I was already planning on waiting a few weeks before seeing it, so nothing is really going to change in terms of my viewing the film.

This is all over the news here too. Quite close to Columbine, I understand, and he booby trapped his apartment too! Clearly no care or respect for his neighbours if he was ready to do that.

I suppose some folks are starting up about gun control again, and really, since US citizens have the right to bear arms perhaps the question to be asked is Why do people want to own guns? Maybe a good answer to that should be given before selling them?

Terrible tragedy... once again a fruitcake causes mayhem.... stricter gun laws should be the answer, but alas, that's a big political no-no in the USA.

Can we not get into gun laws and whether this makes a difference or not? Or I can start making cases about the extreme examples of violence in your countries and how you should be doing something different there? Should I cite the massacre in Norway last year as evidence that gun laws don't make a difference? Or that England could have prevented the riots from corrupt and poor police restraint? There are so many gun laws already that aren't enforced that this knee-jerk reaction does nothing but further complicate an already complicated right. It doesn't matter whether he had access to legal guns or not. If he was going to do it he would've done it and gotten the guns and explosives (which you can make on your own if you have the knowledge like he did) anyways. How about instead focusing on the fact someone was deranged and why he did it instead?

Edited by Teelie

The fact is that countries with stricter gun control laws have less such incidents, but one can never completely avoid incidents due to illegal arms traficing and sales. You need to enforce those existing laws though, otherwise they remeains dead letter. But regardless whether you support the right to bear arms or not, one should be able to agree to the fact that automatic weapons and machineguns belong in the army, not on the streets. Those weapons should not be for sale, but alas they often are...

The fact is that countries with stricter gun control laws have less such incidents, but one can never completely avoid incidents due to illegal arms traficing and sales. You need to enforce those existing laws though, otherwise they remeains dead letter. But regardless whether you support the right to bear arms or not, one should be able to agree to the fact that automatic weapons and machineguns belong in the army, not on the streets. Those weapons should not be for sale, but alas they often are...

Never thought I'd say this, but I agree with you. There's really no reason for an average civilian to have that kind of automatic gun. I own guns. I like to target practice, but the art in target practice is to hit the target with one shot. Shooting 100 rounds a second takes the fun away. Plus it can get pretty expensive.

There are plenty of laws on the books now that can solve gun problems. Enforce them. The only provision I would add would be for mental health records to be added in the back ground checks. Every time I've bought a fire arm, the back ground checks only check criminal activity. Adding a back ground check for any diagnosed mental illness would help keep guns out of the hands of people who do not need them. Locally, we've had a couple suicides by people who were able to legally buy guns then kill themselves. Of course, they could still get guns illegally, but as been said, it would be a little more difficult.