Sign in to follow this  
forst

2010-2011 Television Season

I hope The Cape turns out better than what I'm imagining which is a very cheesy, low-budge attempt at a Batman-esque series.

Edited by Teelie

It looks like it'll at least be better than Steel. Call it faint praise if you want, but it's the only comparison I can make from the available material...

I hope The Event can find an audience, or barring that, have a really awesome second half of the season. I'm looking forward to The Cape, which might make things easier for it.

The lengthy hiatus for The Event is not going to help it find an audience.

Still really, really love Raising Hope.

Agreed. Every episode delivers.

I am thinking about cutting back on my television a bit in January, although with new mid-season shows premiering any cuts may be offset. But there are not that many shows I would consider dropping. I could stop watching Mike & Molly, Chase, No Ordinary Family and perhaps even Bleep My Dad Says and not really miss anything. I could probably drop The Event as well but we will have to see how things stand when it returns in late February. Running Wilde has been canned, so that frees up a half hour.

Edited by forst

Well, the new year is here and I have decided to try to drop Chase and No Ordinary Family. I say try because I do not have a great track record when it comes to dropping shows after giving them more than two or three episodes. If they get past that tryout period I usually stick by them until cancellation. But neither of these has really grabbed me. I have finished watching one show on Netflix and have no plans to start watching Robotech: New Generation or rewatching The Lost World as I had hoped to this winter.

New shows premiering in the next few months that I want to sample include The Cape, Mad Love, Mr. Sunshine, Happy Endings. Perfect Couples with Olivia Munn was given a preview a few weeks ago that I have not watched. I like Munn so I will probably watch it online. Returning shows like V and Parks & Recreation will also fill up some time.

Edited by forst

I am eagerly and wildly awaiting The Cape. If it's not as good as it seems in the previews, it will at least be interesting.

So, the 2010-2011 television season is coming to an end last month. I have sampled most of the new shows premiering since January. My favorite was Perfect Couples, which was hilarious, but sadly it has been canceled. There are two episodes left unaired that might be burned off this summer and I am heavily leaning towards buying the DVD set when/if it is released.

Comments on other new shows:

The Cape (NBC) - I gave up on it after five episodes. It never came together.

Lights out (FX) - Loved it. Brilliantly acted and almost as brilliantly scripted. So it was canceled.

Off the Map (ABC) - Watched the premiere, did not enjoy it, did not keep watching.

Bob's Burgers (FOX) - Watched the first three episodes only because it was on after The Simpsons.

Harry's Law (NBC) - Watched the premiere. Too quirky for its own good.

Fairly Legal (USA) - A rare miss for USA. I like Sarah Shahi but there was nothing going on.

Traffic Light (FOX) - Like it. Not quite as good as Raising Hope but always funny.

Mr. Sunshine (ABC) - Really not sure what to think about this. It should be funny but rarely is.

Mad Love (CBS) - Watchable but nothing special.

CHAOS (CBS) - Watched the first two episodes. Enjoyable but not must-see. And after the third episode it was pulled.

The Killing (AMC) - Better than Rubicon but not as good as Mad Men. And sadly predictable at points.

Breaking In (FOX) - Enjoyable. Michael Rosenbaum was unrecognizable as Dutch.

Happy Endings (ABC) - Like it. Not as good as Perfect Couples, probably on par with Traffic Light.

The Paul Reiser Show (NBC) - I watched the two episodes that have been aired -- NBC canceled it a few days ago -- and found it strangely amusing.

I meant to watch the premiere of Body of Proof but never got around to it. Now five episodes have aired and I have no interest in catching up. I stopped watching V and meant to catch up on Hulu only to learn that it is not available anywhere online. So I have only seen the first four episodes of the season. Apparently the season finale was incredible.

Aside from Perfect Couples, there are not many cancellations I am really broken up about. Community[/i, Fringe, Raising Hope, Modern Family, Cougar Town, The Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother have been renewed. The Good Wife, Parenthood and Rules of Engagement will probably be renewed. Bones and House are shells of their former selves and will probably be renewed and I will probably keep watching. Chuck is probably not going to be renewed but this season has not been that great so while it will be disappointing if it is canceled on a cliffhanger, it will not be terrible. Here is the most recent "bubble watch" from TVbytheNumbers, breaking down which shows have been canceled, which have been renewed and everything in between.

There are just so few shows that I really care about being continued. Fortunately, two of them, Fringe and The Big Bang Theory, have been renewed. Chuck is on the bubble, again. There are several shows I watch as much out of habit as anything: CSI (likely safe, but not officially renewed), Castle (renewed), The Event (almost certain to be cancelled), Stargate Universe (cancelled), Sanctuary (renewed) and Smallville (ending). The new Hawaii Five-0 (likely safe) isn't bad, but it isn't appointment viewing, and episodes sometimes sit unwatched on my DVR. Everything else I end up watching mostly because someone else in the house is interested in it. I've been told that Mike & Molly is quite funny, but haven't felt motivated to check it out yet.

I keep wondering if Fox's (and Spielberg's) Terra Nova will be any good whenever it makes it to the air, but the more I hear about its behind-the-scenes problems, the more I expect it to be a train wreck.

Possibly. Even that wasn't terribly shocking as its ratings aren't what they once were and the cast has to be expensive. I was surprised that L&O:LA only made it one season, though the ratings didn't support a second (and admittedly I never watched an episode). I'd have thought the name and the network's ties to Dick Wolf might have gotten it another shot.