Sign in to follow this  
Director Sloan

Getting rid of "The Bronze"

Given the activity level of the site, I think it would be a good idea to merge "The Bronze" and "Misc" into the same . It made sense in the old days to separate them because of the amount of "fluff" postings (and to keep user post counts under control) but now it just seems unnecessary.

Realistically, a lot of the forums could be merged. Star Trek, Stargate, Battlestar and Lost could all fold into the General Sci-Fi & Fantasy forum, for example. I think one reason we never did a lot of merging was the hope that the OL would become popular again and all of the forums would be in use.

I actually wouldn't recommend merging the Star Trek/Stargate/ect forums together. It's nice to have that distinction and they really are separate topics.

Here's an example forum list that I would suggest:

Administration

Announcements

Questions, Suggestions & Feedback

Site Related (Just merge this with the above feedback forum)

Sci-Fi (Call this Media? That way Miscellaneous Media could fit into here...)

Star Trek

Stargate Franchise

Battlestar Galactica

Lost

General Sci-fi & Fantasy

Miscellaneous Media

Community

Computer Core / Cybertrek (Let this be the computer/game/interet forum)

Creativity Corner

Miscellaneous

The Bronze

Contests & Games (Unless you're going to use it, just hide it)

BBS Security

The Brig

Just my $0.02. :D

yes please consolidate. there is still life here in the ol' girl (get it.. "ol"), but because it's so dispersed it appears to be even more dead than it really is.

I would be in favor of even less categories than you have suggested (I think we only need about half as much).

My suggestion, if a forum doesn't get more than 1 topic or 10 posts a month, CONSOLIDATE IT. Its a waste of space. With that little activity, it's not going to be disruptive to merge it into any of the more active forums.

But at the very least, trim the ones you have suggested.

If someone gets to 1,000,000 posts I'll post my picture :smoking:

But yea, consolidate the forums again wouldn't be a bad idea. Makes browsing a little easier.

Taking Sloan's ideas and adding some of my own..

--------------------------------------------

Administration

Announcements - Site related and BBS announcements

Questions, Suggestions & Feedback - Got a question or feedback for the site & forums? Post them here!

Television & Film

Star Trek Franchise - Discuss everything Star Trek related here.

Stargate Franchise - Discuss everything Stargate related here.

Battlestar Galactica - Discuss everything Battlestar Galactica related here.

Lost - Discuss everything Lost related here.

General Sci-fi & Fantasy - Discuss everything about any other sci-fi & fantasy media not listed in above forums.

Miscellaneous Media - Discuss everything about any non sci-fi & fantasy media here.

Community

Holodeck Three - Discuss everything related to electronics and electronic devices here; discuss computers, software, hardware, gaming, consoles, console gaming, cellphones, smartphones, etc

Creativity Corner - Post and discuss anything created by the members of this community.

Miscellaneous - Discuss any issue not scifi & fantasy related, or doesn't fit in the above forums. Current events, politics, etc.

--------------------------------------------

Also in regards to the Contests & Games forum and the BBS Security area, I'd also recommend hiding them from view until they actually get used. They do serve a purpose, but I think they would be better off hidden for now.

Edited by Digitalfreak™

We could probably get rid of the LOST forum, to be honest. Or merge it with something else. No new episodes has pretty much killed the commentary.

I agree with the slimming down. Too many forums, too few posts spread between them makes the forums look so empty and inactive that it's not going to attract or keep very many (at this point, any) new members around.

Administration

Announcements

Questions, Suggestions & Feedback (merged Site Related)

Sci-Fi & Media

Star Trek

Stargate Franchise (potentially remove)

Battlestar Galactica (potentially remove)

Lost (remove)

General Sci-fi & Fantasy

Miscellaneous Media

Community

Computer Core / Cybertrek

Creativity Corner

Miscellaneous

The Bronze (remove)

Contests & Games (remove/merge with Miscellaneous)

BBS Security

The Brig

Edited by Teelie

Im not sure Lost or BSG justify their own forums anymore. In the old days every Trek had it's own forum, heh.

And the Trek movies had a forum as well! :angry:

Well, with the demise of the series, and the lack of interest in the franchise and the forum, such mergers were to be expected. :(

Realistically, a lot of the forums could be merged. Star Trek, Stargate, Battlestar and Lost could all fold into the General Sci-Fi & Fantasy forum, for example. I think one reason we never did a lot of merging was the hope that the OL would become popular again and all of the forums would be in use.

I strongly agree with and encourage this move, with the exception that I think Star Trek should continue to have its own distinguished forum. I know our community has a very wide interest in a variety of forms of science fiction and fantasy, but I would be surprised to see any objection to giving Star Trek that mark of distinction it deserves. Feel free to disagree, but a lot of people joined here because it was a place, above all, to talk Trek.