Sign in to follow this  
Digitalfreak™

3.5 inch floppy disk is finally dead.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20100426/tc_zd/250362

Actually I was surprised Sony still made these. I think the 3.5 inch disk had more of an impact on the computer world than the old 5.25 inch disks because during the era of the 3.5 disk is when more and more "normal" people started using computers, and the cost came down that made it happen. Goodbye floppy disks!

Gone, the way of the dodo? Gone to join its elder brothers ? the 8-inch, and 5?-inch floppies ? into oblivion :lol:

To be honest, in my opinion, the 3?-inch floppy disk never merited that name? compared to its brethren, it was made of way too sturdy material?

Funny thing; I dug out my last remaining 3.5's on Monday as I needed to transfer some files from a very old (90's) laptop to the current computer... Hadn't seen them in years!!!

Have some leftovers too... what's on it? Some very old computergames and some word documents I wrote when in my early years of university.

Some very old computergames and some word documents I wrote when in my early years of university.

Pretty much what I found too.

Now as of yesterday, on my current computer (via an old desktop with CD-RW capability). :)

To be honest, the 3.5 inch floppy is one of very few pieces of old school technology I am not too sad to let go of. I generally like old technology, because, despite its limitations, it is generally more durable and reliable (and easy to repair) than the new (e.g. VHS and VCRs, old desktops). However, I have always found floppies to have a magical ability to erase themselves... perhaps this was a last-minute ability they evolved in a final attempt to destroy us before we destroyed them. :D

Edited by Ducane