Sign in to follow this  
Waterloo

Concerning Lower Decks site content

I was wondering how many regulars at the OL actually read the content for the main page we've been doing, whether we could make that more relevant for members, or perhaps the OL more relevant for people who may only read that content. Thoughts?

I'm not familiar enough with the WordPress system to know, but shouldn't there be a way to check how many views each main-page article gets? Not that it would tell you who is reading, but whether it's being read.

Personally, I glance at the main site from time to time, but I don't read online reviews in general. When I do, it's usually because I've forgotten what happened in a past episode of some show. Our current format isn't very friendly to that use, and of course we no longer require recaps in our reviews, so they wouldn't really fit my purposes anyway. To be blunt, since we stopped attempting to report news and did away with the archives, I don't have much use for the main site.

Well, I try to at least work in a summary (hit the key points), but my reviews are usually so long that it might not help in that respect.

I write half the stuff for the main page (along with Waterloo), and I read a lot of his stuff as well.

But I guess this really isn't aimed at us...everyone else, what would you like to see on the main page?

Should we bring back reporting on news (which would, I'm guessing) generally just linking to other sites since we don't have "reporters"?

We also might want to post something on the main page and see if it gets any reaction.

Part of the reason I thought it was a good idea to remove the recap feature in the reviews is because the Internet has so many other places you can get that sort of thing. I didn't see the point in duplicating. Our reviews are pretty timely, which is why I thought they were fine as they became.

As for news, again, once we stopped doing exclusive features, we became redundant. I came to the site for the news, too, but stayed because of the OL, back when it was ridiculously vibrant and full of people willing to at least humor me. I never really got that anywhere else.

I came to the site for the news, too, but stayed because of the OL, back when it was ridiculously vibrant and full of people willing to at least humor me. I never really got that anywhere else.

Hear Hear.

To be honest, I hadn't really looked on the main site for possibly a few years until about a month ago. Since then I've read a few of the reviews - mainly the Lost ones.

Given the lack of traffic coming through the OL I can't say there would be that much going through the main site, probably less in fact. Thats sad..

I don't read reviews as I watch anything I'd be reading reviews of anyways. I don't visit the front page at all either but I'm not a typical member either I think.

I'll be honest, and have to admit that I don't read any of the reviews or articles on the main page (and I actually feel guilty about that because I do appreciate the obvious amount of work that goes into it).

For me, I would personally like to see news links on the main page. Yes, as 'loo said it would be redundant, but I don't go to any other sci-fi or trek websites, this one is it! So for me, any news links would be "news" to me.

As for what kind of news links - anything interesting relating to our main topics would be relevant (sci-fi and fantasy shows and movies). For example, I learned through youtube about some of Joss Whedon's other projects (he's the guy behind Firefly), some of which are made specifically for youtube (and I've recently learned of, and watched, the guild.) News that would point us to content or spinoff material like that would be awesome. Also, updates about movies or ideas in the works (like the thread about what's happening to the spiderman movie franchise). And of course, anything going on in the wide world of Trek.

... but I'm not a typical member either I think.

Wha? Pssshh! I see your posts on most of the threads I go into, I think you are quite the typical member (spammer! -- j/k :devil: ).

Then I guess we could use a news guy. forst was sort of doing that when he relaunched the site, but then he split.

Back in the day everyone linked either Trekweb or TrekToday. And honestly most of the time those sites pretty much linked somewhere else. Even Agent01 did that a lot of the time. Today things are different and I would submit that the main site remain for only original site content such as reviews and editorials and such. Maybe even try to build the Lowerdecks database to offer content.

But with sites like wiki and Memory Alpha, making original content here could be redundant, and very time consuming. Perhaps the OL could be integrated into the main site somehow, or just make the OL the main site and use the news or site forums to post reviews and stuff?

Along those lines, perhaps the "read the rest of this entry" link should take the reader a thread in the OL where the full text of the article is posted. They'd get the same content and get funneled to the OL with a chance to sign up and comment.

I think that is a GREAT concept. Perhaps such links from the main page could also be tied to "news" items as well to spawn discussion and new members (expanding on DMD's idea here).

Then I guess we could use a news guy. forst was sort of doing that when he relaunched the site, but then he split.

Instead of putting the burden on one specific contributor, maybe we could take submissions for news items suggested from any member. This could be done by submissions directly to certain staff, or perhaps in a dedicated forum. Or alternatively, a member of the staff could "patrol" the threads for member posts that deliver relevant news, and just provide the 1st post as a "snippet" on the main page, followed by a "read more..." that takes the person directly to the OL thread.

For example the main page would show something like:

Spider-Man To Be Rebooted, in 2012

posted by Shadow, January 11, 2010

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=62315

I understand a studio wanting to take an older property and revitalize it with a new project, but it just seems way too early to be rebooting the Spidey franchise. ... ... read more?

maybe the "snippet" could include the member's avatar as well, just to be fancy. :devil:

Edited by [ace]

All good ideas.

My suggestion would be to look at forthcoming SciFi TV shows for the upcoming season and attempt to focus on one or two (or three). That way the OL / Lowerdecks can attempt to appeal to the mainstream audience of these new TV shows (assuming they are a hit and take off) before there is an overabundance of websites covering them. The OL itself isn't really 'Star Trek' centric anymore. Have some generic stylized skins created for the forum (one light / one dark).