Sign in to follow this  
Capt. Holden Caulfield

Star Trek with changed Timeline and philosophy?

Okay, if we accept the premise that the original TOS timeline was altered by Picard in the events of ?First Contact? and further anomalies were caused by Archer and his contact with ?Future Guy? and the Temporal War; then where do the events of the new trek franchise leave us?

Is there any semblance of TOS?s timeline left?

IIRC Vulcans, Andorians, Humans, and Tellarites formed TOS?s major players from ?Journey to babel?. This is where the elements of ?The Federation? are comprised initially.

This would suggest some major changes in technology, tactics, and everything that made up the TOS universe we knew.

Are they less Coast Guard in charter? (Read early US Coast Guard history, they explored the world, did S&R missions and interdiction/patrol missions.)

Or are they more aggressively military?

Any ideas about any of these possible points?

Well one thing I figured out, and I can't believe I didn't get this before, is that Kirk's death in Star Trek: Generations never took place. With time being changed, who knows if his destiny will lead him to the Nexus and eventually Virdian III.

I think Starfleet will be a little more aggressive, well not really aggressive, more ready to use force for defense, because Nero probably made Starfleet see that it is dangerous out there.

I'd guess that the official Trek take on things is that the events of Trek XI had no effect on the TOS timeline. That's not how time travel has been shown to work in previous examples, but it is the way it was explained in the film. Why the difference? Maybe the method of time travel, via black hole rather than a sling shot effect or other (i.e., Borg) device. Taking that approach leaves open the possibility of future projects involving characters from the TNG-era. That being the case, Kirk-prime would still have died on Viridian III, but nuKirk's destiny is still an open book.

First Contact was a "predestination paradox" (which temporal officers love), and I'd assume the entire Temporal Cold War was basically the same thing. Nothing was actually changed. Future Guy and every other faction (it was implied so often, we might as well assume that even Daniels wasn't always acting in the timeline's best interests) tried their best, but in the end, basically, it was always destined to hit a reset button, if all the interference was cancelled out. The Xindi season, much as we know, was like a metaphor (so it was convenient that the TCW was wrapped up at its conclusion).

Star Trek essentially created a new alternate reality, so everything that we previously experienced as Star Trek, still exists, and the fans who want to keep it that way, can.

Edited by Waterloo

Star Trek essentially created a new alternate reality, so everything that we previously experienced as Star Trek, still exists, and the fans who want to keep it that way, can.

you hit the nail on the head here. brilliant use of a overused plot device.

The Nero comics from IDW have the villain encountering V'Ger before Spock returns, and is actually the reason he's able to pinpoint the exact time and location to wait.