Sign in to follow this  
Digitalfreak™

Windows 7

I downloaded the prerelease copy from Microsoft and installed it on a test laptop. Gotta say, I'm liking this one WAY better than Vista. It has the look of Vista but it runs much more smoothly and configuring everything seems a lot easier.

Hm perhaps it's the upgrade to vista like XP was to windows 2000. I'll personally still wait though until it's at least a year old before buying a computer with it

did the mistake of buying a computer when Vista was still new and well yeah, I have only a tolerant relationship with it :angel: though it runs much better now after all the updates it's had by now.

Vista is what made me make the switch to Linux full time, a switch both I and my CPU have appreciated. I'd consider upgrading my Vista partition to try out 7, but having Vista Basic I don't really qualify for any kind of discounted upgrade.

I have the full version of Windows 7 installed, a perk of taking a technology course in school :). I've run into a couple problems when it comes to running games. While playing Diablo 2 the game sometimes has an excetion and crashes, even in compatibility mode, i blame it on the age of the game mostly..., oh, and for some reason my Anti-virus picked up 'diabloII.exe' as a trojan horse and deleted it... lol.... Also I can't get Fallout 3 to run. It crashes before the first video on the startup. Even in compatibility mode.

So obivously there are a few bugs to iron out, But overall I'm liking the look and feel for the new taskbar and the fluidity of transfering from one program to another, its so much faster than Vista, but then again what OS isn't fast after a clean install, ill have my final judgement in a few months.

A question for those who run ubuntu, are there any tutorials on what you can do on that OS? I've installed it as a Virtual machine on VMWare and i want to learn how to use it.

A question for those who run ubuntu, are there any tutorials on what you can do on that OS? I've installed it as a Virtual machine on VMWare and i want to learn how to use it.

I would just play around with it by trial and error, all the usage basics are user friendly enough; there's a great support community at ubuntuforums.org too.

I will be ordering a new laptop soon, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on which version of widows 7 to order.

I've been looking online and all I get are checklists that don't really tell me if I need to get a version other than Home. Looks like the only major difference is the XP compatibility mode. Do I need that?

If anyone can tell me if there is any big difference between home and premium and ultimate that I should be aware of, I would appreciate it!

When vista came out, I ordered a computer for my brother with Vista basic and it didn't have some of the visually fancy features, and I wish I had known that before I ordered it.

Thanks!