Sign in to follow this  
Digitalfreak™

Anyone have a Blu-ray player?

Just curious because I'm thinking about getting one but might wait until Christmas. If anyone has one, please post pros/cons/horror stories/etc.

I am looking at the Samsung players because I've been replacing my electronics with Samsung products and have been pleased.

I have a Sony. Great picture. No problems. Some of the newer Samsung models come with built-in WiFi and Netflix streaming, which is handy if you have a decent high-speed Internet provider.

Awesome! I'm looking at the new Samsung and it looks great. I got the fast cable so the net connection isn't a problem. The BD Live service is really handy.

Also, do you have to download firmware updates? I've read you have to constantly download firmware updates because the studios keep changing the Javascript they write the menus with. Supposed to keep piracy at bay it it's really pissing off the consumers.

Edited by Digitalfreak?

The firmware updates I don't know about but piracy is already proven to be a problem for them so it does little good to keep fiddling with the firmware. It's been cracked and I see a lot of places promoting pirated blu-ray dvd rips.

Supposedly though, the firmware updates are also to give you new features but that sounds like a poorly veiled way to do the aforementioned anti-piracy changes.

Edited by Teelie

I've only had to update the firmware once. Of course, with the built-in WiFi, updating wouldn't be a problem. I don't have a network jack near my player, so I had to do the update with a CD-ROM.

I'm very happy with the Blu-Ray player in the PS3. I worried about the firmware upgrades (or lack of them on certain players) and thats never an issue with the PS3. Plus I can waste time with GTA4 or Little Big Planet! =D