Sign in to follow this  
forst

Sunday Movie Review

I think this is a great feature, forst! I did want to say that your most recent review (Last Woman on Earth) was a bit confusing because I think you mixed up the names of the male characters a few times (starting with the "after a lot of fishing" paragraph. It wasn't anything major (I was able to figure most of it out), but you might want to check it out.

But I love the idea, nice work!

My latest review is of an awful movie called Robot Holocaust. An excerpt:

Robot Holocaust, released in 1986 and later MST3K?d, is also an awful movie. A terrible story, atrocious acting, horrible special effects and costumes, everything about the movie is awful. And yet, I?d still say it was more enjoyable than Son of Godzilla. But I suppose that?s not saying much. I honestly found myself close to nodding off by the second half of the movie and not because I was tired.

Robot Holocaust takes place on something called New Terra, years after the robot holocaust of ?33 (2033, perhaps?) when billions of robots rose up and destroyed much of the planet, leaving only one city standing. But the atmosphere of New Terra has been all but destroyed. The terrible Dark One rules over the ?air slaves? who provide the fuel to his power station. He provides them with air to breath. There are those are able to survive in the atmosphere.

Read the rest here.

This week's review: The Horror of Party Beach:

Not having done any research for this review I can?t say with authority that the actors and actresses playing teenagers were in their thirties but it certainly looked that way. There?s nothing wrong with that. After all, Frankie Avalon was already 24 when Beach Party was released in 1963. But Avalon at least had the youthful exuberance to pull it off. None of the actors in The Horror of Party Beach even seemed to be really trying. To be fair, I don?t think any of them were actually professional actors, and most never had another acting job. So I suppose they did the best they could.

Read the full review here.

This weeks review is of Godzilla vs. Mothra: The Battle for Earth. Here is an excerpt:

I found the non-Godzilla portions of the movie very dull. I didn?t care at all for the main character, Takuya Fujita, or his relationship with his ex-wife, Masako Tezuka. And the character of Kenji Andoh, apparently a secretary of sorts, was laughable at best. Still, the fight scenes were fun and we got to see not one giant moth but two: Mothra?s evil twin/counterpart Battra. According to the Cosmos, an ancient civilization attempted to use technology to control the weather, prompting the Earth to create Battra or Black Mothra.

Aaah! The Giant Gila Monster:

My clearest memory of watching The Giant Gila Monster is the scene in which Chase Winstead and the sheriff jump in Chase?s car and head off for the scene of an accident (I believe it was Chase?s boss and his truckload of gasoline that had exploded). Chase asks if he can ?open it up? and the sheriff agrees, so Chase floors it and the two fly off down the road. Don Sullivan gave a very fine performance as protagonist Chase Winstead.

I love that film. Saw it when I was four and thought the "FX" at the end were really life-like! :D

I have three versions of this film, including the color one. Seeing a gigantic PINK lizard isn't all that scary.

I love that film. Saw it when I was four and thought the "FX" at the end were really life-like! :D

I have three versions of this film, including the color one. Seeing a gigantic PINK lizard isn't all that scary.

Pink? PINK!?

And what is the third version? Black and white, color and ???

Ok, it was pink and black, but definitely pink in spots.

The three versions I have are cheap public domain version, remastered B &W version and remastered color.

gila_monster.jpg

This week's review is At the Earth's Core from 1976:

McClure?s commitment to his role of David Innes and Cushing?s oblivious Dr. Abner Perry helped At the Earth?s Core more or less hold my attention. But it was the beautiful Caroline Munro as Princess Dia that kept the movie from being a total waste of time. The dinosaurs were awful, though, just awful. The scene in which two dinosaurs fight to the death by ramming one another with their horns was painful to watch. And not because I felt for the dinosaurs (they actually looked more like pigs than dinosaurs).

Read the rest here.

Today's movie is The Monster That Challenged the World, an interesting movie from 1957:

An attempt to destroy the mollusks with undersea explosives is believed to be successful. But it wasn?t. There are still more mollusks roaming around killing. If just one survived, it could eventually destroy the world (after first challenging it, of course). So, a new plan is put into action. The mollusks will be tracked down and destroyed. Of course there?s plenty of time for Gail and Twill to have a nice romantic dinner. It?s not like people are dying and the hole world is being challenged or anything.